POSBand: Questions and bugs..

Last response: in Video Games
July 10, 2005 2:59:53 AM

I downloaded POS finally, to try this comp. I couldn't stand having to
use magic attacks even against weak creatures--very tedious--so I tried
using the Possessor class instead. It is POS Band, after all.

It's kind of fun, though very easy once you get started.

Question: what are good animals to turn into pets, and what are some
useful tactics to play with pets? I can't keep any of them alive.
They tend to commit suicide the first time they encounter a pack of
creatures.

Some bugs:

* Mughash has the same dice as a townsman, despite being "Strong and
powerful, for a kobold". (Kobold archer otoh, is a great way to
start.)

* Kobold mage has wrong primary stat (is CON; should be INT)

* The various basic 'p' classes need to be defined along with the 'h'
classes.

* Balance is off: even priest & mage types become very good fighters,
because all Possesors (and Monsters) use the same progression tables
and blows calculations. This makes Dark Elven Priest (eg) vastly more
powerful than an ordinary priest. (He's only got a few spells, but he
has the basics covered. And without books, he can use devices to fill
the holes.)

* Balance: Possessor (and monster) Infravision is insanely good

* Random artifacts are even more broken with descriptions. I got the
rather ironic:

y) The Pair of Hard leather boots of Anorwend [3, +5]
It is a great artifact. It was forged by Morgoth himself,
but lost for a very long time.

It sustains your strength

Possibly it's better than Feather Falling, so long as I don't see any
abysses.

More about : posband questions bugs

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:08:38 AM

pete mack wrote:

> Possibly it's better than Feather Falling, so long as I don't see any
> abysses.

Turn on themed levels and you will get abysses at deeper levels.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:10:16 AM

"pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1120975193.821935.8440
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> * Random artifacts are even more broken with descriptions. I got the
> rather ironic:
>

> y) The Pair of Hard leather boots of Anorwend [3, +5]
> It is a great artifact. It was forged by Morgoth himself,
> but lost for a very long time.
>
> It sustains your strength
>
> Possibly it's better than Feather Falling, so long as I don't see any
> abysses.

Well, maybe it was an early work, before Morgoth learned how to
make anything good. Then maybe it is great from a collector's
standpoint? Uhm... yeah...

I'd assume they are just randomly selected and filled templates?
Perhaps something to address in the future, like random artifacts
tending to like names that start with "A" a bit too much?
July 11, 2005 1:53:15 PM

pete mack wrote:

> Question: what are good animals to turn into pets, and what are some
> useful tactics to play with pets? I can't keep any of them alive.
> They tend to commit suicide the first time they encounter a pack of
> creatures.

The best pet I ever had was a Maia of Yavanna.
At deeper levels, Greater demons/dragons/undead are good.

Anything that summons and has a distance attack, maybe a Priest might
be good for starters. A wand of Clone Monster helps keeping pets alive.

Or keep them safe: here your Priest throws Holy Orbs at the Black Orcs.

##################
........p@ooooooooo
##################

Once the pets have leveled up a bit, they stay alive much better.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:01:25 AM

On 2005-07-11 08:53:15, Juho Schultz <juho.schultz@helsinki.fi> wrote:

> pete mack wrote:
>
> > Question: what are good animals to turn into pets, and what are some
> > useful tactics to play with pets? I can't keep any of them alive.
> > They tend to commit suicide the first time they encounter a pack of
> > creatures.
> >

> The best pet I ever had was a Maia of Yavanna.
> At deeper levels, Greater demons/dragons/undead are good.
>
> Anything that summons and has a distance attack, maybe a Priest might
> be good for starters. A wand of Clone Monster helps keeping pets alive.
>
> Or keep them safe: here your Priest throws Holy Orbs at the Black Orcs.
>
> ##################
> . ......p@ooooooooo
> ##################
>
> Once the pets have leveled up a bit, they stay alive much better.

I tried to level a Maia of Aule like this and look what I've got:

>Your Maia of Aule hits the Elder Vampire.
>Your Maia of Aule has destroyed the Elder Vampire
>Your Maia of Aule advances to level 30.
>Your Maia of Aule grows into your <player>!

WTF?!

Now, this <player> has even better description... but when I tried to [l]ookat
it for a second time it vanished from sight, yet it is standing there, because
I get messages about attacking it when I try to step into the floor tile it was
standing on earlier...

... and that was it. It completely ceased to exist. Damn, it was a fine
companion.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:10:38 PM

ZasVid wrote:
> On 2005-07-11 08:53:15, Juho Schultz <juho.schultz@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>

>>pete mack wrote:
>>

>>>Question: what are good animals to turn into pets, and what are some
>>>useful tactics to play with pets? I can't keep any of them alive.
>>>They tend to commit suicide the first time they encounter a pack of
>>>creatures.
>>>

>>The best pet I ever had was a Maia of Yavanna.
>>At deeper levels, Greater demons/dragons/undead are good.
>>
>>Anything that summons and has a distance attack, maybe a Priest might
>>be good for starters. A wand of Clone Monster helps keeping pets alive.
>>
>>Or keep them safe: here your Priest throws Holy Orbs at the Black Orcs.
>>
>>##################
>>. ......p@ooooooooo
>>##################
>>
>>Once the pets have leveled up a bit, they stay alive much better.
>

> I tried to level a Maia of Aule like this and look what I've got:
>

>>Your Maia of Aule hits the Elder Vampire.
>>Your Maia of Aule has destroyed the Elder Vampire
>>Your Maia of Aule advances to level 30.
>>Your Maia of Aule grows into your <player>!
>

> WTF?!
>
> Now, this <player> has even better description... but when I tried to [l]ookat
> it for a second time it vanished from sight, yet it is standing there, because
> I get messages about attacking it when I try to step into the floor tile it was
> standing on earlier...
>
> .. and that was it. It completely ceased to exist. Damn, it was a fine
> companion.

This is a bug... My Maia of Yavanna vanished the same way.
I guess the variant maintainer would appreciate a savefile where
the pet is about to level.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:47:42 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:10:38 +0300, Juho Schultz
<juho.schultz@helsinki.fi> wrote:

>ZasVid wrote:

>>>The best pet I ever had was a Maia of Yavanna.
>>>At deeper levels, Greater demons/dragons/undead are good.
>>>
>>>Anything that summons and has a distance attack, maybe a Priest might
>>>be good for starters. A wand of Clone Monster helps keeping pets alive.
>>>
>>>Or keep them safe: here your Priest throws Holy Orbs at the Black Orcs.
>>>
>>>##################
>>>. ......p@ooooooooo
>>>##################
>>>
>>>Once the pets have leveled up a bit, they stay alive much better.
>>

>> I tried to level a Maia of Aule like this and look what I've got:
>>

>>>Your Maia of Aule hits the Elder Vampire.
>>>Your Maia of Aule has destroyed the Elder Vampire
>>>Your Maia of Aule advances to level 30.
>>>Your Maia of Aule grows into your <player>!
>>

>> WTF?!
>>
>> Now, this <player> has even better description... but when I tried to [l]ookat
>> it for a second time it vanished from sight, yet it is standing there, because
>> I get messages about attacking it when I try to step into the floor tile it was
>> standing on earlier...
>>
>> .. and that was it. It completely ceased to exist. Damn, it was a fine
>> companion.
>>

>This is a bug... My Maia of Yavanna vanished the same way.
>I guess the variant maintainer would appreciate a savefile where
>the pet is about to level.

It looks like in monster_kill_exp(...) in xtra2.c that the lines:

if (evolve)
{
/* Count evolution forms */
while (mr_ptr->body.evolve_index) i++;

should have a line

i = 0;

before the 'while' loop. An extra loop using 'i' looks like it was
added between here and where 'i' was declared and initialized to zero.

Cam
!