Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving C drive directories and files after re-installing

Last response: in Windows 7
January 5, 2013 11:10:03 PM

I've just re-installed Windows 7 64bit and am moving some files onto my "Programs and Data" hard drive. With the previous install I have moved a number of the Win 7 files onto the this HDD, and I want to do the same now. Since that drive now contains my previous copies of the these directories and files, and I want to keep them, how can I merge the contents. Is it as simple as copying what new content I want from the C drive, changing the location of the USER files in Windows to the HDD, then deleting what is on the C drive?

Thanks for any help. If I'm not clear on the objective, let me try to clarify.

Regards,

Tom
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 5:08:11 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Systems to section Windows 7 by SR-71 Blackbird
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 5:15:09 PM

twcinnh said:
I've just re-installed Windows 7 64bit and am moving some files onto my "Programs and Data" hard drive. With the previous install I have moved a number of the Win 7 files onto the this HDD, and I want to do the same now. Since that drive now contains my previous copies of the these directories and files, and I want to keep them, how can I merge the contents. Is it as simple as copying what new content I want from the C drive, changing the location of the USER files in Windows to the HDD, then deleting what is on the C drive?

Thanks for any help. If I'm not clear on the objective, let me try to clarify.

Regards,

Tom

As for moving regular files and folders, it is as simple as dragging and dropping the folders to their new home.

If you're trying to move installed programs, not so much, because since you reinstalled Windows 7 it has a fresh registry and there is not any associated registry keys with the prior programs you are trying to migrate over unless you backed up the registry keys and such.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 5:41:56 PM

I now have 2 'My documents' folders, one on the C drive, and one on the H drive (the Programs and Data drive). It also contains the profiles for Firefox and etc. I don't want to overwrite these, so I am assuming I can move whatever files are on the C drive to H, then assign Windows to find 'My documents' and others on the H drive.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

Tom
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:57:34 PM

twcinnh said:
I now have 2 'My documents' folders, one on the C drive, and one on the H drive (the Programs and Data drive). It also contains the profiles for Firefox and etc. I don't want to overwrite these, so I am assuming I can move whatever files are on the C drive to H, then assign Windows to find 'My documents' and others on the H drive.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

Tom

If Windows is installed on Drive C: then that is where the primary My Documents folder for your user account will reside. Move what you want from Drive H to Drive C and use it that way.
m
l

Best solution

January 6, 2013 10:13:02 PM

twcinnh said:

Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

Tom

Yes, you can do that, simply right click the My Documents folder and add the new storage location (removing the old if you so desire) and you are good to go.
January 6, 2013 10:24:08 PM

Thank you.

Tom
m
l
January 6, 2013 10:24:20 PM

Best answer selected by twcinnh.
m
l
!