V306 - found scroll of aquirement - where/when should I re..

asdf

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002

It was sitting on the floor at 700', which is my max depth so far. I'm
playing a 21st level elf rogue.

Should I read it now and hope for the best, or would I be better off waiting
and reading it deeper in the dungeon. If so, what depth would you read it
at?

Some more background if that helps:

I've had good luck so far with items, I'm fighting with a *slay* evil weapon
and a sling of power with a nice +18 damage bonus. Defensively, I have a
shield of resistance and a poison resistance ring. However, at my level,
there is plenty of good stuff that I might end up with from reading
immediately.

bill

At 700' you may be better off selling it. The right shopkeeper will
give you 25 or 30,000 that you can spend on items you know you need. If
you read it you're likely to get a Dwarven Shovel of Digging.

If you can sell it for a good price, sell! Or save it for later, but
you really shouldn't read it now.

Also you should go deeper. DLevel 700' must be quite boring for a Level
21 Charakter.
You need to find or buy something that gives you Free Action (necessary
for 1000' or deeper). You might see rings or boots sometimes in the
market.
Against Ghosts you need something to see invisible (potions or even
staffs or scrolls or a ring until you find a weapon that gives you the
ability).
Whith that you can go to Level 60 (3000') and look for statgain
potions.
On your way down you will likely find much better equipment.

I tried reading scrolls of acquirement at shallow depths a couple of
times, but I was never lucky with the stuff created. :(

OTOH you could be lucky and get an ego item.

In my current game I read a scroll of *Acquirement* at 1100', which
turned up the Cloak "Holcolleth" (+2speed), the Leather Scale Mail
"Thalkettoth" (+3speed) and some weapon of slay foo. So maybe wait till
after 1000' feet or so. Mind you I had the more powerful version of the
sroll which turns up multiple items...

Ed

Meant to be lucky to get a "useful" ego item like a weapon of
westernesse for example. That would come in handy to cover see
invisible and free action.

"asdf" <a@c.asd> schrieb...

> It was sitting on the floor at 700', which is my max depth so far. I'm
> playing a 21st level elf rogue.
>
> Should I read it now and hope for the best, or would I be better off waiting
> and reading it deeper in the dungeon. If so, what depth would you read it
> at?

Either store it at home, and sell it if you need money.

Or, if you want to read it, don't read it before 1000'. A guaranteed 'great'
item has some chance to become an artifact, and before 1000', most artifacts
are quite weak.

Werner.

Mondkalb wrote:
> I tried reading scrolls of acquirement at shallow depths a couple of
> times, but I was never lucky with the stuff created. :(
>
> OTOH you could be lucky and get an ego item.

Scroll of Aquirement is guaranteed to produce ego-item (or dragon armor
or Dungeon Spellbook or RoS or high-power amulet), so that has nothing
to do with luck.

I also read ?oAquirement as soon as I find one. If it is dagger of slay
orc it was aroun 5000gp if it was something useful it was something useful.

If it were a ?o*Aquirement* then I'd wait for 2500' before reading it.

Timo Pietilä

"asdf" <a@c.asd> wrote in message
> It was sitting on the floor at 700', which is my max depth so far.
> I'm playing a 21st level elf rogue.
>
> Should I read it now and hope for the best, or would I be better off
> waiting and reading it deeper in the dungeon. If so, what depth would
> you read it at?
> [..]

Just read it. Better to read immediately than have it sitting about
building up false hype.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

FWIW I too wait until at least 1000' before reading it. If there was
something I wanted in the shops, I'd sell the ?Acq and buy the desired
item.

CC

Today I read one at 1950' - picked it up and it was terrible.
Turned out to be The Iron Helm of Gorlim.
That was not the kind of artifact I hoped to get. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS