Quickband

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
coding.

I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
monsters very quickly.

The quest monster would no longer be Morgoth but one of the weaker
Uniques (Saruman perhaps? Or one of the Ringwraiths?) Of course by the
time you reached this endgame stage you wouldn't have gone through
statgain and would have a patchy kit with many resistance holes. Two
endgame characters might look and operate very differently.

As a result you would be able to play a complete game in just a few
hours. Diving would be encouraged, firstly by the relatively small
number of stairs needed to reach the tougher bits of the dungeon and
secondly by a penalty applied to monster drop quality if your character
level is high relative to the dungeon level.

I would also apply some other tweaks (considerably toning down breath
weapons and big monster ranged attacks to make instakill less of a
factor: making some items accessible rather earlier in the dungeon than
before, especially the less commonly used artifacts: reducing the
number of attacks of light weapons to make heavy weapons more
attractive in the early to midgame: improving the power of attack
spells and wands...)

Would anyone want to play such a *band?

A.

bill

Antoine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> coding.
>
> I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> monsters very quickly.
>
> The quest monster would no longer be Morgoth but one of the weaker
> Uniques (Saruman perhaps? Or one of the Ringwraiths?) Of course by the
> time you reached this endgame stage you wouldn't have gone through
> statgain and would have a patchy kit with many resistance holes. Two
> endgame characters might look and operate very differently.
>
> As a result you would be able to play a complete game in just a few
> hours. Diving would be encouraged, firstly by the relatively small
> number of stairs needed to reach the tougher bits of the dungeon and
> secondly by a penalty applied to monster drop quality if your character
> level is high relative to the dungeon level.
>
> I would also apply some other tweaks (considerably toning down breath
> weapons and big monster ranged attacks to make instakill less of a
> factor: making some items accessible rather earlier in the dungeon than
> before, especially the less commonly used artifacts: reducing the
> number of attacks of light weapons to make heavy weapons more
> attractive in the early to midgame: improving the power of attack
> spells and wands...)
>
> Would anyone want to play such a *band?
>
> A.

I'd certainly play a few times.

Your challenge is going to be balancing the classes - mages and rogues
just can't dive as fast as the warrior classes. It'll be interesting to
see how your tweaks will work.

Bill wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> > coding.
> >
> > I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> > 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> > levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> > monsters very quickly.
> >
> > The quest monster would no longer be Morgoth but one of the weaker
> > Uniques (Saruman perhaps? Or one of the Ringwraiths?) Of course by the
> > time you reached this endgame stage you wouldn't have gone through
> > statgain and would have a patchy kit with many resistance holes. Two
> > endgame characters might look and operate very differently.
> >
> > As a result you would be able to play a complete game in just a few
> > hours. Diving would be encouraged, firstly by the relatively small
> > number of stairs needed to reach the tougher bits of the dungeon and
> > secondly by a penalty applied to monster drop quality if your character
> > level is high relative to the dungeon level.
> >
> > I would also apply some other tweaks (considerably toning down breath
> > weapons and big monster ranged attacks to make instakill less of a
> > factor: making some items accessible rather earlier in the dungeon than
> > before, especially the less commonly used artifacts: reducing the
> > number of attacks of light weapons to make heavy weapons more
> > attractive in the early to midgame: improving the power of attack
> > spells and wands...)
> >
> > Would anyone want to play such a *band?
> >
> > A.
>
> I'd certainly play a few times.
>
> Your challenge is going to be balancing the classes - mages and rogues
> just can't dive as fast as the warrior classes. It'll be interesting to
> see how your tweaks will work.

Mm. Class balancing, an interesting problem. I was thinking of
branching off NPP which means enhanced rogues (stealth, stabbing etc)
which would help. Also making many mage and priest spells available at
a lower level than previously - otherwise you'd get hardly many
reliable spells by the endgame. And powering up some combat spells (but
removing OOD).

Balance only really comes through playtesting though.

A.

Antoine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> coding.
>
> I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> monsters very quickly.
>
> The quest monster would no longer be Morgoth but one of the weaker
> Uniques (Saruman perhaps? Or one of the Ringwraiths?) Of course by the
> time you reached this endgame stage you wouldn't have gone through
> statgain and would have a patchy kit with many resistance holes. Two
> endgame characters might look and operate very differently.
>
> As a result you would be able to play a complete game in just a few
> hours. Diving would be encouraged, firstly by the relatively small
> number of stairs needed to reach the tougher bits of the dungeon and
> secondly by a penalty applied to monster drop quality if your character
> level is high relative to the dungeon level.
>
> I would also apply some other tweaks (considerably toning down breath
> weapons and big monster ranged attacks to make instakill less of a
> factor: making some items accessible rather earlier in the dungeon than
> before, especially the less commonly used artifacts: reducing the
> number of attacks of light weapons to make heavy weapons more
> attractive in the early to midgame: improving the power of attack
> spells and wands...)

Oh yes, another change I forgot to mention: no ?WoR in shops.

Encourages 'real' diving, rather than popping down to DLx and
stair-scumming until you run out of consumables and recalling home...

Antoine wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > Antoine wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> > > coding.
> > >
> > > I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> > > 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> > > levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> > > monsters very quickly.
> > >
> > > The quest monster would no longer be Morgoth but one of the weaker
> > > Uniques (Saruman perhaps? Or one of the Ringwraiths?) Of course by the
> > > time you reached this endgame stage you wouldn't have gone through
> > > statgain and would have a patchy kit with many resistance holes. Two
> > > endgame characters might look and operate very differently.
> > >
> > > As a result you would be able to play a complete game in just a few
> > > hours. Diving would be encouraged, firstly by the relatively small
> > > number of stairs needed to reach the tougher bits of the dungeon and
> > > secondly by a penalty applied to monster drop quality if your character
> > > level is high relative to the dungeon level.
> > >
> > > I would also apply some other tweaks (considerably toning down breath
> > > weapons and big monster ranged attacks to make instakill less of a
> > > factor: making some items accessible rather earlier in the dungeon than
> > > before, especially the less commonly used artifacts: reducing the
> > > number of attacks of light weapons to make heavy weapons more
> > > attractive in the early to midgame: improving the power of attack
> > > spells and wands...)
> > >
> > > Would anyone want to play such a *band?
> > >
> > > A.
> >
> > I'd certainly play a few times.
> >
> > Your challenge is going to be balancing the classes - mages and rogues
> > just can't dive as fast as the warrior classes. It'll be interesting to
> > see how your tweaks will work.
>
> Mm. Class balancing, an interesting problem. I was thinking of
> branching off NPP

[bites tongue] But am I entitled to branch from NPP? Maybe I'm not.
Jeff?

A.

Antoine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> coding.
>
> I would call it Quickband...
>
> Would anyone want to play such a *band?

I know I would. Lacking the energy to play for more than an hour or so
per session nowadays, this sounds excellent to me.

Antoine wrote:
> Would anyone want to play such a *band?

Even I might be interested:) I don't like angbands, but Guild is
such a nice game and you seem to have an eye for good gameplay,
then it's possible that Quickband will be nice too:)

"Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from
> Guild
> coding.
>
> [..]
>
> Would anyone want to play such a *band?

Sure. It's not much of a time committment on our end anyway :).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Krice wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> > Would anyone want to play such a *band?
>
> Even I might be interested:) I don't like angbands, but Guild is
> such a nice game and you seem to have an eye for good gameplay,
> then it's possible that Quickband will be nice too:)

What a compliment! That's a really nice thing to say.

I've started coding up Quickband, based on NPP. Progress is good. I am,
however, aware that I haven't talked to Jeff about using NPP in this
way so I'm prepared to squelch this version and start again based on
Vanilla if he's not happy with it.

I already have a 10-level dungeon with sharply increasing difficulty
and a non-Morgoth quest monster at the bottom. That was the easy bit.
Getting the balance right will be tougher.

Here's a question: What character level are people normally at when
they reach 1700'? (Obviously it varies whether you're diving or playing
conservatively or something in the middle, but I'd like to get an
impression...)

A.

bill

Antoine wrote:

> Here's a question: What character level are people normally at when
> they reach 1700'? (Obviously it varies whether you're diving or playing
> conservatively or something in the middle, but I'd like to get an
> impression...)
>
> A.

I'm usually in the low 30s, unless I've been reading Eddie's posts and
get the urge to play his way. But the more I play the less I even pay
attention to CL at all, equipment is much more important. If I have to
use rings for resistances and fight with a 'good' weapon then diving is
slow. With something Westernesse/Elvenkind/'of speed' you can dive
faster.

I suppose by starting from NPP you will give players better equipment
early, but if you decide to go to [V] for a codebase you should port
that part of NPP over.

I'm finding it slow going in my current [V] game because I switched to
'preserve off'. I'm not sure whether Quickband would be as much fun if
we had to dive through special levels.

If you have a convenient host, why don't you release early and often.

Bill wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> >
> > Here's a question: What character level are people normally at when
> > they reach 1700'? (Obviously it varies whether you're diving or playing
> > conservatively or something in the middle, but I'd like to get an
> > impression...)
> >
> > A.
>
> I'm usually in the low 30s, unless I've been reading Eddie's posts and
> get the urge to play his way. But the more I play the less I even pay
> attention to CL at all, equipment is much more important. If I have to
> use rings for resistances and fight with a 'good' weapon then diving is
> slow. With something Westernesse/Elvenkind/'of speed' you can dive
> faster.
>
> I suppose by starting from NPP you will give players better equipment
> early, but if you decide to go to [V] for a codebase you should port
> that part of NPP over.
>
> I'm finding it slow going in my current [V] game because I switched to
> 'preserve off'. I'm not sure whether Quickband would be as much fun if
> we had to dive through special levels.

It may not be a biggy. You wouldn't expect to get a full artifact kit
anyway in a short game, so missing out on one might not be a big
issue...?

> If you have a convenient host, why don't you release early and often.

I'll do a release on guildgame.com in the weekend, it won't be balanced
properly but it would be something to try.

Antoine wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > Antoine wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's a question: What character level are people normally at when
> > > they reach 1700'? (Obviously it varies whether you're diving or playing
> > > conservatively or something in the middle, but I'd like to get an
> > > impression...)
> > >
> > > A.
> >
> > I'm usually in the low 30s, unless I've been reading Eddie's posts and
> > get the urge to play his way. But the more I play the less I even pay
> > attention to CL at all, equipment is much more important. If I have to
> > use rings for resistances and fight with a 'good' weapon then diving is
> > slow. With something Westernesse/Elvenkind/'of speed' you can dive
> > faster.
> >
> > I suppose by starting from NPP you will give players better equipment
> > early, but if you decide to go to [V] for a codebase you should port
> > that part of NPP over.
> >
> > I'm finding it slow going in my current [V] game because I switched to
> > 'preserve off'. I'm not sure whether Quickband would be as much fun if
> > we had to dive through special levels.
>
> It may not be a biggy. You wouldn't expect to get a full artifact kit
> anyway in a short game, so missing out on one might not be a big
> issue...?
>
> > If you have a convenient host, why don't you release early and often.
>
> I'll do a release on guildgame.com in the weekend, it won't be balanced
> properly but it would be something to try.

Playtesting now. Never been killed on DL3 by Brodda the Easterling
before!

A.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

> - Decrease prices on items in black market
why??

Because you will never have 1000000 gold for buying augmentation,
*ID* , experience potions and other items. So things need to be
cheaper.

T.

> Krice wrote:
>> Antoine wrote:
>> > Would anyone want to play such a *band?
>>
>> Even I might be interested:) I don't like angbands, but Guild is
>> such a nice game and you seem to have an eye for good gameplay,
>> then it's possible that Quickband will be nice too:)
>
> What a compliment! That's a really nice thing to say.
>
> I've started coding up Quickband, based on NPP. Progress is good. I
> am,
> however, aware that I haven't talked to Jeff about using NPP in this
> way so I'm prepared to squelch this version and start again based on
> Vanilla if he's not happy with it.
>
> I already have a 10-level dungeon with sharply increasing difficulty
> and a non-Morgoth quest monster at the bottom. That was the easy bit.
> Getting the balance right will be tougher.
>
> Here's a question: What character level are people normally at when
> they reach 1700'? (Obviously it varies whether you're diving or
> playing
> conservatively or something in the middle, but I'd like to get an
> impression...)

1700'? For me I am almost always CLVL25--30.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Quoting Antoine <mail@guildgame.com>:
>It may not be a biggy. You wouldn't expect to get a full artifact kit
>anyway in a short game, so missing out on one might not be a big
>issue...?

Presumably in Quickband you'll increase artifact drop frequencies a bit,
anyway...
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Gouday, Presuary.

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Antoine <mail@guildgame.com>:
> >It may not be a biggy. You wouldn't expect to get a full artifact kit
> >anyway in a short game, so missing out on one might not be a big
> >issue...?
>
> Presumably in Quickband you'll increase artifact drop frequencies a bit,
> anyway...

I think so. Especially the unusual ones that you wouldn't tend to use
in NPP (because you normally have a better artifact or ego item to use
instead)

Antoine wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> coding.
>
> I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> monsters very quickly.

here's my changelog so far:

Items and monsters are now generated as if you were at a much deeper DL
Can not adventure below DL10
Victory condition is now to kill Saruman on DL10 (no other quests, no
access to DL11+ on victory)
Objects are of worse quality if your CL is too high compared to the DL
- level message indicates this
?WoR no longer available in Alchemy shop
?*ID* now available in Alchemy shop, and much cheaper
Some other changes to shop inventories
!Stat and !Augmentation no longer generated in shops or in the dungeon
Many item depth/rarities changed
Many bad items and all mushrooms removed
Weapon weight restrictions are more severe
Priest penalty for wielding a non-blessed blade is more severe
Items found in the dungeon are now much less likely to be cursed
Adventurer's Guild is always locked
Some options are set to be closer to Vanilla (e.g. no quests, no store
services)

To-do list includes:
-making stats more important (more stat effects in the pre-18/50 range)
-making light melee weapons less good (# blows no longer depends on
weapon weight, or only very weakly)
-making attack spells cheaper and more effective
-boosting attack wands and rods
-revising spellbooks (less dungeon books with lower level spells)
-revising artifacts - changing levels and frequencies
-toning down breaths and spells
-dramatically reducing duration of confusion and paralysis
-making far less monsters resist slow, sleep and confusion
-making more risk of accidentally going down levels - more trapdoors,
etc

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> In rec.games.roguelike.development Antoine <mail@guildgame.com> wrote:
> > To-do list includes:
> > -making far less monsters resist slow, sleep and confusion
>
> Can't you just generate monsters without these resistances more often?
> That way it would be more like regular Angband.

....I see what you're saying, will have a look through the monster list
& think about approaches.

A.

Antoine wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> > coding.
> >
> > I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> > 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> > levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> > monsters very quickly.
>
> here's my changelog so far:
>
> Items and monsters are now generated as if you were at a much deeper DL
> Can not adventure below DL10
> Victory condition is now to kill Saruman on DL10 (no other quests, no
> access to DL11+ on victory)
> Objects are of worse quality if your CL is too high compared to the DL
> - level message indicates this
> ?WoR no longer available in Alchemy shop
> ?*ID* now available in Alchemy shop, and much cheaper
> Some other changes to shop inventories
> !Stat and !Augmentation no longer generated in shops or in the dungeon
> Many item depth/rarities changed
> Many bad items and all mushrooms removed
> Weapon weight restrictions are more severe
> Priest penalty for wielding a non-blessed blade is more severe
> Items found in the dungeon are now much less likely to be cursed
> Adventurer's Guild is always locked
> Some options are set to be closer to Vanilla (e.g. no quests, no store
> services)

and:

Rebranding - directory, executable, icon, text files included in
distro...
XP requirements for levels are lower
It is now more common to find artifacts
Priests also have a large penalty for using bows or crossbows (not
slings)
Weapon description now includes a warning if it is too heavy or not
appropriate for priests
Ego weapons of +blows are very unlikely: blessed blades are more likely
No artifact now gives +blows
Trapdoors are more common than other traps
Teleport-level is more likely to take you down than up

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Need any playtesters? and the Guild game is very cool.

Nekanato

nekanato@gmail.com wrote:
> Need any playtesters?

Yeah, I do, and I could start pretty much any time, but I'm still
wondering about whether it'll be OK to release an (appropriately
copyrighted and acknowledged) modified version of NPP. Any thoughts
anyone?

> and the Guild game is very cool.

Well thank you! How far have you got in it?

A.

> nekanato@gmail.com wrote:
>> Need any playtesters?
>
> Yeah, I do, and I could start pretty much any time, but I'm still
> wondering about whether it'll be OK to release an (appropriately
> copyrighted and acknowledged) modified version of NPP. Any thoughts
> anyone?

It *should* be fine. I'd say go right ahead. It is well-known for
variants to come off other variants, common practice among *bands.

--

Antoine wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
> > Antoine wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm thinking of whipping up a new Angband variant as a break from Guild
> > > coding.
> > >
> > > I would call it Quickband, the gimmick being that the dungeon is only
> > > 10 levels deep, with difficulty increasing by 3-4 Vanilla dungeon
> > > levels per Quickband level. So you can quite easily dive to reach tough
> > > monsters very quickly.
> >
> > here's my changelog so far:
> >
> > Items and monsters are now generated as if you were at a much deeper DL
> > Can not adventure below DL10
> > Victory condition is now to kill Saruman on DL10 (no other quests, no
> > access to DL11+ on victory)
> > Objects are of worse quality if your CL is too high compared to the DL
> > - level message indicates this
> > ?WoR no longer available in Alchemy shop
> > ?*ID* now available in Alchemy shop, and much cheaper
> > Some other changes to shop inventories
> > !Stat and !Augmentation no longer generated in shops or in the dungeon
> > Many item depth/rarities changed
> > Many bad items and all mushrooms removed
> > Weapon weight restrictions are more severe
> > Priest penalty for wielding a non-blessed blade is more severe
> > Items found in the dungeon are now much less likely to be cursed
> > Adventurer's Guild is always locked
> > Some options are set to be closer to Vanilla (e.g. no quests, no store
> > services)
>
> and:
>
> Rebranding - directory, executable, icon, text files included in
> distro...
> XP requirements for levels are lower
> It is now more common to find artifacts
> Priests also have a large penalty for using bows or crossbows (not
> slings)
> Weapon description now includes a warning if it is too heavy or not
> appropriate for priests
> Ego weapons of +blows are very unlikely: blessed blades are more likely
> No artifact now gives +blows
> Trapdoors are more common than other traps
> Teleport-level is more likely to take you down than up

and:

Added a handful of new artifacts
Spell stat now has much more effect on max mana
Charisma now has much more effect on shop prices (which are generally
lower)
Dexterity now has much more effect on AC
Strength has more effect on damage
Dexterity has more effect on to-hit
Constitution has more effect on regeneration
Magic devices and saving throw are now slightly more affected by your
stats
Spells with a failure chance over 10% are more likely to succeed
Many monsters formerly immune to confusion and/or sleep no longer are
Confusion and paralysis wear off the player more quickly
Breath weapon max damages are reduced - especially for elemental
attacks and poison
Spell damage is reduced if over 300

---

There's just one thing I still want to do, before playtesting, and
that's having a good hack at the 'number of melee blows' formula. I
want it to be more dependent on class and level, less dependent on STR
and DEX, and hardly at all dependent on weapon weight. No more paladins
with 18/50 Strength wandering round clutching daggers!!

A.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

There's just one thing I still want to do, before playtesting, and
that's having a good hack at the 'number of melee blows' formula.

Isnt that just a 'table' ( 2dmatrix) in the source code ?
It should be fairly easy to play with that stuff.

Also, when are you going to release ? NPP was created so that
Angband might take some of the patches back, I am sure QuickBand
would be more than welcome. I am quite anxious to see what you've got.

T.