Most important rules of thumb for newbies?

What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?

My list to newbies of rules of thumb:

1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
19 answers Last reply
More about most important rules thumb newbies
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Buy a ranged weapon and get some ammunition (if not part of starting
    equipment).
    Rangers and warriors start with a heavy sword - sell and buy a cheap
    and light weapon. With enough strength and dexterity the charakter will
    get more blows. The extra money comes in handy to buy equipment like
    armor and healing potions.
    If I have enough spare money I buy usually one of the cheap potions and
    scrolls (lilke boldness or phase door - you'll need it anyway). You
    don't need to identify or quaff or read these later just to know what
    they are.

    I always buy some food (just to have at least 6 rations with me),
    because I starved one or two times after some of my food was stolen or
    I needed one more after drinking a potion of salt water and couldn't
    find enough to survive on my way back to town.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    >
    > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    >
    > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
    > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

    Don't give up on the game just because the controls seem difficult to learn.
    Most newbies I've met hit that wall then stop playing because it doesn't have
    fancy graphics.

    --
    AKA Yumi_Saotome on #angband
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Get a lantern as soon as possible. The extra bit of vision can easily
    become a matter of life and death for a starting character.

    Depending on the version/variant, you can have quite a bit of success
    with using flasks of oil as an emergency weapon. I used to get early
    wizards through early encounters with Grip by carrying a few extra flasks
    and throwing them as he approached. In some versions, this turns out to
    be a waste of time and money though, and in some you can actually have
    little trouble beating Grip anyway.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    In message <1121644516.702700.266250@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
    "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    >
    > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    >
    > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.

    Get boots, a cap, gloves, a clock, and soft armor (Unless you are weak).
    This will give a good AC for money. If you start with a ring of sust INT
    sell it for the cash.

    > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

    Personnelly I don't drink any un IDed potions unless I'm in a very tight
    spot. Remember selling that single un IDed potion of speed will ID it,
    allowing you to buy it back. Which is usefull for escaping later.

    I only read un IDed scrolls if my inventory if full.

    5. Keep well away from eyes, jellys etc.
    6. Get a stock of cure critical soon.

    Martin.

    --
    According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
    When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

    On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    >
    > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    >
    > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.

    Not very important, especially the shovel is just an extra slot. Lanterns are
    more important, so is a good main weapon. Money can ALWAYS be found, if noway
    else then by "townwait".

    > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile

    Seems u're a digger, which probably is y u aren't very famous of good results.

    > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical

    Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
    should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
    important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

    > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

    Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
    Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
    another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
    of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

    5. Don't go fighting with gelatinous cubes... My record from newbie times: AC
    53->1 ...

    6. Learn to wield items... I fought my first newbie week bare-handed 'cos I
    hadn't
    learned how to wield items yet...

    7. Later on, remember to take lot of ?s of Id, WoR and PhaseDoor along, as well
    as some ccws as confusion cure. (1 of my Clvl 40 warriors dived after
    finding
    Ringil, lost all his WoRs after which I thought, "Well, nothing better to
    do", dived
    still until I walked into a 8lvl-OOD Baphomet and died...)

    8. Don't go too deep until Clvl 45. Until that point, it's enough to keep
    Clvl=Dlvl.
    (A lvl 44 character doesn't usually really *want* to fight Tarrasque in a
    vault...)

    Ojomax

    - Have a weapon hand quicker than your feet. 8 blows is usually enough.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-18 09:04:14, Ojomax <lahtonen.sampsa@suomi24.fi> wrote:

    > On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" wrote:
    >
    > > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    > >
    > > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    > >
    > > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
    >
    > Not very important, especially the shovel is just an extra slot. Lanterns are
    > more important, so is a good main weapon. Money can ALWAYS be found, if noway
    > else then by "townwait".

    Depends on Variant - On ToME it is essential, and others it can be useful.
    However, I agree digging is not an efficient way of getting money.

    > > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    >
    > Seems u're a digger, which probably is y u aren't very famous of good results.

    And like you are? Come on, that's below the belt. He could have completed the
    game more often than anyone else on rgra, there's just no way of knowing - if
    someone _likes_ digging then let them.

    However, I would have said this is _really_ boring for a newbie as well, and I
    would have said a better way of getting money is stair scumming 100-150 ft for
    wands :-)

    > > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    >
    > Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
    > should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
    > important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

    Not true, Ranged weapons early on become extremely powerful, certainly more so
    than melee for non warriors (i.e. multiple blows). Phase door is always
    useful.

    > > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
    > >

    > Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
    > Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
    > another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
    > of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

    I tend not to do this. I find there is good money to be had from selling them
    all un-IDed, and there isn't much experience to be had from trying them out
    (unless you play Sang anyway)

    > 5. Don't go fighting with gelatinous cubes... My record from newbie times: AC
    > 53->1 ...

    Or green / red jellies. In fact, leave all jellies alone to begin with.

    > 6. Learn to wield items... I fought my first newbie week bare-handed 'cos I
    > hadn't
    > learned how to wield items yet...

    Yeah, also, help your newbies with the concept behind macros and things (swap
    weapons, useful spells, ranged attacks etc...)

    > 7. Later on, remember to take lot of ?s of Id, WoR and PhaseDoor along, as well
    > as some ccws as confusion cure. (1 of my Clvl 40 warriors dived after
    > finding
    > Ringil, lost all his WoRs after which I thought, "Well, nothing better to
    > do", dived
    > still until I walked into a 8lvl-OOD Baphomet and died...)

    CCW is essential really. Once I started stocking them I saved myself about 90%
    of my deaths.

    > 8. Don't go too deep until Clvl 45. Until that point, it's enough to keep
    > Clvl=Dlvl.
    > (A lvl 44 character doesn't usually really *want* to fight Tarrasque in a
    > vault...)

    A much better rule of thumb here is to use resistance holes. CLvl=DLvl is death
    beyond 1000 without FA and beyond 2000 without RBase etc...

    Learn your resistance guidelines.

    --
    Take Care,
    Graham

    Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
    Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
    C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
    players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
    the dungeon etc...)
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    >
    > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    >
    > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
    > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

    Ok, here's mine.

    Starting (equipment list order):

    1) Lantern + Oil, Food, Light Armour, Simple Ranged Weapon + Ammo
    2) CCW, Phase Door, WoR (2nd book for Mage/Priest)
    3) Good armour (Sh = 4, Hlm = 5, Bts = 3, Clk = 1, Gloves and Body Armour class
    dependent), Enchant up weapons
    4) Enchant Armour + 1 stack of Ammo, Staff of Tele, Wand of Tele Away

    + Stockpile PoSpeed whenever you can

    Survival:

    1) Whenever you die, make sure you know _why_ you died. Learn from it
    2) Never play risks with RBase and FA beyond required deaths. Anything that can
    instakill you will spoil your game eventually.
    3) Learn to detect both traps and monsters in whatever way possible.
    4) Hold around 1600 ft for Stat-gain and wait until Con is nearly maxxed and you
    have at least 3 blows per turn (+ high primary spell stat if mage / priest)
    5) Never fight something you know you can't beat.

    Enjoyment:

    1) Dive as far as you feel comfortable. If you are not enjoying it you are not
    deep enough. If you don't dare fight anything you are too deep.
    2) If you find some tactics boring (mining, scumming for stuff etc..) don't do
    them.
    3) If you keep dying again and again and are getting fed up with it, play a
    "Cheat_Death" character to get to grips with it. When your character doesn't
    die so much try a proper one again.

    --
    Take Care,
    Graham

    Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
    Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
    C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
    players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
    the dungeon etc...)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Glen Wheeler wrote:

    > Ignore both of the above. Neither is critical to winning the game.
    > Just remember that Angband has an unlimited supply of items, levels,
    > monsters...there are only three things you need to do.
    >
    > 1. Kill Sauron.
    > 2. Kill Morgoth.
    > 3. Not die.

    Wrong Priorities!!!

    1. ***NOT DIE***
    2. Kill Sauron.
    3. Kill Morgoth.

    --
    Jack Wise

    TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Ojomax" <lahtonen.sampsa@suomi24.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    > >
    > > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    > >
    > > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
    >
    > Not very important, especially the shovel is just an extra slot. Lanterns
    are
    > more important, so is a good main weapon. Money can ALWAYS be found, if
    noway
    > else then by "townwait".

    Some variants require you to have a digger, and have an extra wearslot for
    it, maybe orignial poster was talking about those... I agree on vanilla
    though

    > > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    >
    > Seems u're a digger, which probably is y u aren't very famous of good
    results.

    Hey now THAT is just rude and absolutely unnecessary

    > > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    >
    > Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a
    newbie
    > should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but
    seldom
    > important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

    I on the other Hand usually waste a good amout of phase door when fighting
    Morgoth, and of course all the time
    before it, with warriors just as well as with others. So, phase door all the
    way

    > another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found
    another
    > of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

    hey nice one, will try to remember that one...

    > Ojomax

    n+1: Have a *safe* way to escape, that's teleport level and *destruction*
    n+2: Don't kill everything, learn what is worth beeing killed
    n+3: Die a lot, but never give up

    Jeda
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    joelsanda wrote:
    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
    >
    > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    >
    > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
    > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

    My list of newbie guidelines:

    1. Start: Use point-based generation. Have about 300-400 gold at start.
    2. Equipment: Buy a lantern. Get a longbow ASAP, later enchant it.
    4. Inventory: Carry potions of Heroism and scrolls of Phase Door.
    Potions of Speed are valuable.
    5. Money: is in the sticks (wands & staves).

    I also play with these.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-18 00:04:14 -0700, Ojomax <lahtonen.sampsa@suomi24.fi> said:

    >> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    >
    > Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
    > should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
    > important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

    I strongly disagree. They need to learn to use ranged combat. Melee
    is second nature-- either attack or run. Ranged combat takes strategy
    and it's better to learn the quirks early.

    Not to mention, when starting out all it takes is two unlucky rolls and
    the mightiest warrior will be dead. Ranged combat may deal out less
    damage-- and you may miss more often than you hit-- but every time you
    can weaken a monster or pack of monsters without letting them touch you.

    >> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
    >>

    > Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
    > Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
    > another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
    > of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

    Depends on your playstyle. Besides the fact that that sounds like
    tedious micromanagement,
    I'd say ID'ing every potion ASAP is far more useful than worrying about
    losing an OOD potion of experience or scroll of acquirement. So what
    if you accidently sell a potion of strength to the store and can't
    afford to buy it back? You'll get that strength point eventually.
    Even acquirement is overrated, it's great when it works out but more
    often than not it's a letdown. And OOD items are extremely rare
    anyway.

    I'd add one more piece of advice for newbies... Learn what the Wand
    of Wonder does. That wand and a stack of phase door scrolls has saved
    my butt many times against early uniques and packs of orcs and yeeks.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    >> another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
    >> of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

    >hey nice one, will try to remember that one...

    Funny story about that: once, I tweaked autoscum so that it would only
    pass "Very Good" or better levels. At 50', this tended, for some odd
    reason, to generate levels containing GREAT items. Therefore, I may be
    the only player ever to have seen this message sequence:

    -Selling two light blue potions..
    -You sold two potions of Experience for 26 gold.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-19 04:24:00, JBancock <jb@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    > On 2005-07-18 00:04:14 -0700, Ojomax said:
    > >

    > >> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    > >
    > > Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
    > > should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
    > > important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)
    >
    > I strongly disagree. They need to learn to use ranged combat. Melee
    > is second nature-- either attack or run. Ranged combat takes strategy
    > and it's better to learn the quirks early.
    >
    > Not to mention, when starting out all it takes is two unlucky rolls and
    > the mightiest warrior will be dead. Ranged combat may deal out less
    > damage-- and you may miss more often than you hit-- but every time you
    > can weaken a monster or pack of monsters without letting them touch you.

    Well I'm specialized in simple warriors, hacking away with their trusty weapon.
    They don't need or use very much ranged combat. Of course Phase Door's pretty
    important later on. Additionally, even against an OOD monster or monsters such
    as
    a Snaga they will have to be really unlucky rolls if "the mightiest warrior" 's
    HP is over 20 @ clvl 1 and he has two or three hits per turn. For those who
    don't have such a power, like Priests, there is always the opportunity b)
    run...

    > >> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
    > >>

    > > Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
    > > Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
    > > another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
    > > of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.
    >
    > Depends on your playstyle. Besides the fact that that sounds like
    > tedious micromanagement,
    > I'd say ID'ing every potion ASAP is far more useful than worrying about
    > losing an OOD potion of experience or scroll of acquirement. So what
    > if you accidently sell a potion of strength to the store and can't
    > afford to buy it back? You'll get that strength point eventually.
    > Even acquirement is overrated, it's great when it works out but more
    > often than not it's a letdown. And OOD items are extremely rare
    > anyway.

    Point is, once u see the potion's probably great u can identify it and then sell
    for lots of thousands of gold, thus being able to buy something u need or want.
    Also, the experience potion can be saved for later game. I admit that potions
    can be quaffed, since if u are anyway about to quaff that potion of strength u
    found from dungeon level 1 it doesn't really matter if u do it un-IDed. But
    sometimes, bad things do happen. The ones with temporarylike effects will be
    completely wasted in dungeon.

    > I'd add one more piece of advice for newbies... Learn what the Wand
    > of Wonder does. That wand and a stack of phase door scrolls has saved
    > my butt many times against early uniques and packs of orcs and yeeks.

    Seems u believe in luck... I believe in never being lucky. Everybody has his own
    luck... if newbies are in a "Lucky" mood they can do that...

    Ojomax

    - Have a weapon hand quicker than your feet. 8 blows is usually enough.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Jack Wise" <jwise@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
    > Glen Wheeler wrote:
    >

    >> Ignore both of the above. Neither is critical to winning the game.
    >> Just remember that Angband has an unlimited supply of items, levels,
    >> monsters...there are only three things you need to do.
    >>
    >> 1. Kill Sauron.
    >> 2. Kill Morgoth.
    >> 3. Not die.
    >>

    > Wrong Priorities!!!
    >
    > 1. ***NOT DIE***
    > 2. Kill Sauron.
    > 3. Kill Morgoth.

    I did not mean chronologically. If so, what you have written is still
    wrong. Correctly written in chronological order is:

    1. Kill Sauron and do not die.
    2. Kill Morgoth and do not die.
    3. Retire and do not die.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
    > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?

    <skip>

    For me there is only one rule for newbies...

    Don't try to kill everything in your line of sight. Think before moving, and/or
    attacking. That's all.

    If you follow this rule, you can survive long enough to build the rest of your
    very own "rules of thumb".

    Cheers
    Peter.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

    > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > playing Angband?

    Most importatnt rules of thumb to newbies?
    a) Read the helpfiles
    b) Read Thangorodrim
    c) Read the Angband Newbie guide
    d) Read the helpfiles
    e) Read rgra
    f) Lurk in #angband
    g) Read the helpfiles
    h) Sparingly ask questions through an appropriate channel if you haven't figured
    it out or found the answer yet.

    --
    fearoffours
    Martin Hatfield

    Gu(2.2.3) C Nyl MeWM(A) L:23 DL:800' A/+ R/+ !Sp w:Sabre (Holy Avenger) (1d7)
    (+7,+7) [+4] (+2)
    Gu/To W/MP H- D- c-- f PV+ s TT? d--@ P++ M+
    C- S+/++ I++ So B- ac@ GHB-/+ SQ+ RQ++ V+++ F:Lua implementation more like ToME
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "fearoffours" <fearoffours@t-o-m-e.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
    > > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
    > > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
    > > playing Angband?
    >

    > f) Lurk in #angband

    we have an IRC Channel? What Network? Any non-bots actually idling there?
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-07-20 01:59:40, "Jeda" <Matthias.nospamRudo@t-online.de> wrote:

    > we have an IRC Channel? What Network? Any non-bots actually idling there?

    Yes #angband on worldirc. It's busy at the right time of day, and only 2-3 bots.
    the others are all real people.

    --
    fearoffours
    Martin Hatfield

    Gu(2.2.3) C Nyl MeWM(A) L:24 DL:850' A/+ R/+ !Sp w:Sabre (Holy Avenger) (1d7)
    (+7,+7) [+4] (+2)
    Gu/To W/MP H- D- c-- f PV+ s TT? d--@ P++ M+
    C- S+/++ I++ So B- ac@ GHB-/+ SQ+ RQ++ V+++ F:Lua implementation more like ToME
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    joelsanda wrote:

    > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
    >
    > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
    > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
    > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
    > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
    > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

    Those are specific. Here is more general:

    1. Don't be greedy. Game has nothing that you _must_ have. There are
    alternatives.
    2. If it hurts you bad, escape.
    3. Get that escape (phase door, teleportation).

    Timo Pietilä

Games Video Games