Most important rules of thumb for newbies?

What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?

My list to newbies of rules of thumb:

1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

Buy a ranged weapon and get some ammunition (if not part of starting
equipment).
Rangers and warriors start with a heavy sword - sell and buy a cheap
and light weapon. With enough strength and dexterity the charakter will
get more blows. The extra money comes in handy to buy equipment like
armor and healing potions.
If I have enough spare money I buy usually one of the cheap potions and
scrolls (lilke boldness or phase door - you'll need it anyway). You
don't need to identify or quaff or read these later just to know what
they are.

I always buy some food (just to have at least 6 rations with me),
because I starved one or two times after some of my food was stolen or
I needed one more after drinking a potion of salt water and couldn't
find enough to survive on my way back to town.

On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
>
> My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
>
> 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
> 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

Don't give up on the game just because the controls seem difficult to learn.
Most newbies I've met hit that wall then stop playing because it doesn't have
fancy graphics.

--
AKA Yumi_Saotome on #angband

Get a lantern as soon as possible. The extra bit of vision can easily
become a matter of life and death for a starting character.

Depending on the version/variant, you can have quite a bit of success
with using flasks of oil as an emergency weapon. I used to get early
wizards through early encounters with Grip by carrying a few extra flasks
and throwing them as he approached. In some versions, this turns out to
be a waste of time and money though, and in some you can actually have
little trouble beating Grip anyway.

In message <1121644516.702700.266250@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
"joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
>
> My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
>
> 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.

Get boots, a cap, gloves, a clock, and soft armor (Unless you are weak).
This will give a good AC for money. If you start with a ring of sust INT
sell it for the cash.

> 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

Personnelly I don't drink any un IDed potions unless I'm in a very tight
spot. Remember selling that single un IDed potion of speed will ID it,
allowing you to buy it back. Which is usefull for escaping later.

I only read un IDed scrolls if my inventory if full.

5. Keep well away from eyes, jellys etc.
6. Get a stock of cure critical soon.

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
>
> My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
>
> 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.

Not very important, especially the shovel is just an extra slot. Lanterns are
more important, so is a good main weapon. Money can ALWAYS be found, if noway
else then by "townwait".

> 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile

Seems u're a digger, which probably is y u aren't very famous of good results.

> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical

Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

5. Don't go fighting with gelatinous cubes... My record from newbie times: AC
53->1 ...

6. Learn to wield items... I fought my first newbie week bare-handed 'cos I
hadn't
learned how to wield items yet...

7. Later on, remember to take lot of ?s of Id, WoR and PhaseDoor along, as well
as some ccws as confusion cure. (1 of my Clvl 40 warriors dived after
finding
Ringil, lost all his WoRs after which I thought, "Well, nothing better to
do", dived
still until I walked into a 8lvl-OOD Baphomet and died...)

8. Don't go too deep until Clvl 45. Until that point, it's enough to keep
Clvl=Dlvl.
(A lvl 44 character doesn't usually really *want* to fight Tarrasque in a
vault...)

Ojomax

- Have a weapon hand quicker than your feet. 8 blows is usually enough.

On 2005-07-18 09:04:14, Ojomax <lahtonen.sampsa@suomi24.fi> wrote:

> On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" wrote:
>
> > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
> >
> > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
> >
> > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
>
> Not very important, especially the shovel is just an extra slot. Lanterns are
> more important, so is a good main weapon. Money can ALWAYS be found, if noway
> else then by "townwait".

Depends on Variant - On ToME it is essential, and others it can be useful.
However, I agree digging is not an efficient way of getting money.

> > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
>
> Seems u're a digger, which probably is y u aren't very famous of good results.

And like you are? Come on, that's below the belt. He could have completed the
game more often than anyone else on rgra, there's just no way of knowing - if
someone _likes_ digging then let them.

However, I would have said this is _really_ boring for a newbie as well, and I
would have said a better way of getting money is stair scumming 100-150 ft for
wands :)

> > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
>
> Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
> should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
> important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

Not true, Ranged weapons early on become extremely powerful, certainly more so
than melee for non warriors (i.e. multiple blows). Phase door is always
useful.

> > 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
> >

> Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
> Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
> another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
> of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

I tend not to do this. I find there is good money to be had from selling them
all un-IDed, and there isn't much experience to be had from trying them out
(unless you play Sang anyway)

> 5. Don't go fighting with gelatinous cubes... My record from newbie times: AC
> 53->1 ...

Or green / red jellies. In fact, leave all jellies alone to begin with.

> 6. Learn to wield items... I fought my first newbie week bare-handed 'cos I
> hadn't
> learned how to wield items yet...

Yeah, also, help your newbies with the concept behind macros and things (swap
weapons, useful spells, ranged attacks etc...)

> 7. Later on, remember to take lot of ?s of Id, WoR and PhaseDoor along, as well
> as some ccws as confusion cure. (1 of my Clvl 40 warriors dived after
> finding
> Ringil, lost all his WoRs after which I thought, "Well, nothing better to
> do", dived
> still until I walked into a 8lvl-OOD Baphomet and died...)

CCW is essential really. Once I started stocking them I saved myself about 90%
of my deaths.

> 8. Don't go too deep until Clvl 45. Until that point, it's enough to keep
> Clvl=Dlvl.
> (A lvl 44 character doesn't usually really *want* to fight Tarrasque in a
> vault...)

A much better rule of thumb here is to use resistance holes. CLvl=DLvl is death
beyond 1000 without FA and beyond 2000 without RBase etc...

Learn your resistance guidelines.

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)

On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
>
> My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
>
> 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
> 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

Ok, here's mine.

Starting (equipment list order):

1) Lantern + Oil, Food, Light Armour, Simple Ranged Weapon + Ammo
2) CCW, Phase Door, WoR (2nd book for Mage/Priest)
3) Good armour (Sh = 4, Hlm = 5, Bts = 3, Clk = 1, Gloves and Body Armour class
dependent), Enchant up weapons
4) Enchant Armour + 1 stack of Ammo, Staff of Tele, Wand of Tele Away

+ Stockpile PoSpeed whenever you can

Survival:

1) Whenever you die, make sure you know _why_ you died. Learn from it
2) Never play risks with RBase and FA beyond required deaths. Anything that can
instakill you will spoil your game eventually.
3) Learn to detect both traps and monsters in whatever way possible.
4) Hold around 1600 ft for Stat-gain and wait until Con is nearly maxxed and you
have at least 3 blows per turn (+ high primary spell stat if mage / priest)
5) Never fight something you know you can't beat.

Enjoyment:

1) Dive as far as you feel comfortable. If you are not enjoying it you are not
deep enough. If you don't dare fight anything you are too deep.
2) If you find some tactics boring (mining, scumming for stuff etc..) don't do
them.
3) If you keep dying again and again and are getting fed up with it, play a
"Cheat_Death" character to get to grips with it. When your character doesn't
die so much try a proper one again.

--

Glen Wheeler wrote:

> Ignore both of the above. Neither is critical to winning the game.
> Just remember that Angband has an unlimited supply of items, levels,
> monsters...there are only three things you need to do.
>
> 1. Kill Sauron.
> 2. Kill Morgoth.
> 3. Not die.

Wrong Priorities!!!

1. ***NOT DIE***
2. Kill Sauron.
3. Kill Morgoth.

--
Jack Wise

TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

"Ojomax" <lahtonen.sampsa@suomi24.fi> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> > playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> > playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
> >
> > My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
> >
> > 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> > to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
>
> Not very important, especially the shovel is just an extra slot. Lanterns
are
> more important, so is a good main weapon. Money can ALWAYS be found, if
noway
> else then by "townwait".

Some variants require you to have a digger, and have an extra wearslot for
it, maybe orignial poster was talking about those... I agree on vanilla
though

> > 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
>
> Seems u're a digger, which probably is y u aren't very famous of good
results.

Hey now THAT is just rude and absolutely unnecessary

> > 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
>
> Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a
newbie
> should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but
seldom
> important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

I on the other Hand usually waste a good amout of phase door when fighting
Morgoth, and of course all the time
before it, with warriors just as well as with others. So, phase door all the
way

> another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found
another
> of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

hey nice one, will try to remember that one...

> Ojomax

n+1: Have a *safe* way to escape, that's teleport level and *destruction*
n+2: Don't kill everything, learn what is worth beeing killed
n+3: Die a lot, but never give up

Jeda

joelsanda wrote:
> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?
>
> My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
>
> 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
> 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

My list of newbie guidelines:

1. Start: Use point-based generation. Have about 300-400 gold at start.
2. Equipment: Buy a lantern. Get a longbow ASAP, later enchant it.
4. Inventory: Carry potions of Heroism and scrolls of Phase Door.
Potions of Speed are valuable.
5. Money: is in the sticks (wands & staves).

I also play with these.

On 2005-07-18 00:04:14 -0700, Ojomax <lahtonen.sampsa@suomi24.fi> said:

>> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
>
> Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
> should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
> important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)

I strongly disagree. They need to learn to use ranged combat. Melee
is second nature-- either attack or run. Ranged combat takes strategy
and it's better to learn the quirks early.

Not to mention, when starting out all it takes is two unlucky rolls and
the mightiest warrior will be dead. Ranged combat may deal out less
damage-- and you may miss more often than you hit-- but every time you
can weaken a monster or pack of monsters without letting them touch you.

>> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
>>

> Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
> Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
> another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
> of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

Depends on your playstyle. Besides the fact that that sounds like
tedious micromanagement,
I'd say ID'ing every potion ASAP is far more useful than worrying about
losing an OOD potion of experience or scroll of acquirement. So what
if you accidently sell a potion of strength to the store and can't
afford to buy it back? You'll get that strength point eventually.
Even acquirement is overrated, it's great when it works out but more
often than not it's a letdown. And OOD items are extremely rare
anyway.

I'd add one more piece of advice for newbies... Learn what the Wand
of Wonder does. That wand and a stack of phase door scrolls has saved
my butt many times against early uniques and packs of orcs and yeeks.

>> another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
>> of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.

>hey nice one, will try to remember that one...

Funny story about that: once, I tweaked autoscum so that it would only
pass "Very Good" or better levels. At 50', this tended, for some odd
reason, to generate levels containing GREAT items. Therefore, I may be
the only player ever to have seen this message sequence:

-Selling two light blue potions..
-You sold two potions of Experience for 26 gold.

On 2005-07-19 04:24:00, JBancock <jb@NoSpam.com> wrote:

> On 2005-07-18 00:04:14 -0700, Ojomax said:
> >

> >> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
> >
> > Not very important. Ranged weapons of early game are pretty weak, also a newbie
> > should learn to normal combat. ? of Phase Door of course is good but seldom
> > important, except for magelikes. (And magelikes have the spell...)
>
> I strongly disagree. They need to learn to use ranged combat. Melee
> is second nature-- either attack or run. Ranged combat takes strategy
> and it's better to learn the quirks early.
>
> Not to mention, when starting out all it takes is two unlucky rolls and
> the mightiest warrior will be dead. Ranged combat may deal out less
> damage-- and you may miss more often than you hit-- but every time you
> can weaken a monster or pack of monsters without letting them touch you.

Well I'm specialized in simple warriors, hacking away with their trusty weapon.
They don't need or use very much ranged combat. Of course Phase Door's pretty
important later on. Additionally, even against an OOD monster or monsters such
as
a Snaga they will have to be really unlucky rolls if "the mightiest warrior" 's
HP is over 20 @ clvl 1 and he has two or three hits per turn. For those who
don't have such a power, like Priests, there is always the opportunity b)
run...

> >> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so
> >>

> > Read every scroll for first 8 levels or so, @ least until u find the "Summon
> > Monster" which should always be read and is very useful, as it mainly is
> > another kind of ! of Exp. Bring every potion to home until u've found another
> > of same kind. This way, u won't lose great OOD potions.
>
> Depends on your playstyle. Besides the fact that that sounds like
> tedious micromanagement,
> I'd say ID'ing every potion ASAP is far more useful than worrying about
> losing an OOD potion of experience or scroll of acquirement. So what
> if you accidently sell a potion of strength to the store and can't
> afford to buy it back? You'll get that strength point eventually.
> Even acquirement is overrated, it's great when it works out but more
> often than not it's a letdown. And OOD items are extremely rare
> anyway.

Point is, once u see the potion's probably great u can identify it and then sell
for lots of thousands of gold, thus being able to buy something u need or want.
Also, the experience potion can be saved for later game. I admit that potions
can be quaffed, since if u are anyway about to quaff that potion of strength u
found from dungeon level 1 it doesn't really matter if u do it un-IDed. But
sometimes, bad things do happen. The ones with temporarylike effects will be
completely wasted in dungeon.

> I'd add one more piece of advice for newbies... Learn what the Wand
> of Wonder does. That wand and a stack of phase door scrolls has saved
> my butt many times against early uniques and packs of orcs and yeeks.

Seems u believe in luck... I believe in never being lucky. Everybody has his own
luck... if newbies are in a "Lucky" mood they can do that...

"Jack Wise" <jwise@hal-pc.org> wrote in message
> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>

>> Ignore both of the above. Neither is critical to winning the game.
>> Just remember that Angband has an unlimited supply of items, levels,
>> monsters...there are only three things you need to do.
>>
>> 1. Kill Sauron.
>> 2. Kill Morgoth.
>> 3. Not die.
>>

> Wrong Priorities!!!
>
> 1. ***NOT DIE***
> 2. Kill Sauron.
> 3. Kill Morgoth.

I did not mean chronologically. If so, what you have written is still
wrong. Correctly written in chronological order is:

1. Kill Sauron and do not die.
2. Kill Morgoth and do not die.
3. Retire and do not die.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

peter

On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband? What are the rules of thumb you practice while
> playing, or the "Oh, I should have done this" moments?

<skip>

For me there is only one rule for newbies...

Don't try to kill everything in your line of sight. Think before moving, and/or
attacking. That's all.

If you follow this rule, you can survive long enough to build the rest of your
very own "rules of thumb".

Cheers
Peter.

On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> playing Angband?

Most importatnt rules of thumb to newbies?
a) Read the helpfiles
b) Read Thangorodrim
c) Read the Angband Newbie guide
d) Read the helpfiles
e) Read rgra
f) Lurk in #angband
g) Read the helpfiles
h) Sparingly ask questions through an appropriate channel if you haven't figured
it out or found the answer yet.

--
fearoffours
Martin Hatfield

Gu(2.2.3) C Nyl MeWM(A) L:23 DL:800' A/+ R/+ !Sp w:Sabre (Holy Avenger) (1d7)
(+7,+7) [+4] (+2)
Gu/To W/MP H- D- c-- f PV+ s TT? d--@ P++ M+
C- S+/++ I++ So B- ac@ GHB-/+ SQ+ RQ++ V+++ F:Lua implementation more like ToME

"fearoffours" <fearoffours@t-o-m-e.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On 2005-07-18 01:55:16, "joelsanda" <joelsanda@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What do you think the most important things are for newbies? I'm always
> > introducing people to Angband. Many come, few stay. I usually give them
> > the following tips, but what are yours? What do you *always* do when
> > playing Angband?
>

> f) Lurk in #angband

we have an IRC Channel? What Network? Any non-bots actually idling there?

On 2005-07-20 01:59:40, "Jeda" <Matthias.nospamRudo@t-online.de> wrote:

> we have an IRC Channel? What Network? Any non-bots actually idling there?

Yes #angband on worldirc. It's busy at the right time of day, and only 2-3 bots.
the others are all real people.

--
fearoffours
Martin Hatfield

Gu(2.2.3) C Nyl MeWM(A) L:24 DL:850' A/+ R/+ !Sp w:Sabre (Holy Avenger) (1d7)

joelsanda wrote:

> My list to newbies of rules of thumb:
>
> 1. First buy a shovel or pick. Shovel is fine because you can add count
> to the digging. Stick to cheap armor at first.
> 2. Use 50 - 150 feet to dig for gold and build a stockpile
> 3. Use Phase Door/Ranged weapons when practical
> 4. Drink every potion, read every scroll for first 3 levels or so

Those are specific. Here is more general:

1. Don't be greedy. Game has nothing that you _must_ have. There are
alternatives.
2. If it hurts you bad, escape.
3. Get that escape (phase door, teleportation).

Timo Pietilä