ssh

Hi

When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get

angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!

Any suggestions - ? TIA

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Juho Schultz wrote:
> Juho Schultz wrote:
> > Andre Smit wrote:

> >> Hi
> >>
> >> When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
> >>
> >> angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
> >>
> >> Any suggestions - ? TIA

> > Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...
> >
> > Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:
> >
> > ssh -X user@server

> Sorry...
>
> it seems you get "can't open display" from X in the case your env is not correct.
>
> "display module" error comes from the game,
> and sounds more like a real installation problem.

Are you trying to play in a text console when the game has been
compiled for graphics only?

I can play over ssh to my home machine perfectly well, using the -mgcu
switch. If that doesn't work for you, my first guess would be that your
version is compiled for X only.

Good luck,

CC

Juho Schultz wrote:
> Andre Smit wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
>>
>> angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
>>
>> Any suggestions - ? TIA
>>
> Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...
>
> Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:
>
> ssh -X user@server

Sorry...

it seems you get "can't open display" from X in the case your env is not correct.

"display module" error comes from the game,
and sounds more like a real installation problem.

In an Age long past, in an Age yet to come,
Juho Schultz <juho.schultz@helsinki.fi> wrote:
> Juho Schultz wrote:
>> Andre Smit wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
>>>
>>> angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
>>>
>>> Any suggestions - ? TIA
>>>
>> Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...
>>
>> Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:
>>
>> ssh -X user@server
>

> Sorry...
>
> it seems you get "can't open display" from X in the case your env is not correct.
>
> "display module" error comes from the game,
> and sounds more like a real installation problem.

Your ssh might be reporting itself as an xterm. Try "export TERM=vt100"
at the shell prompt and then run Angband.
--
Kevin

Thanks for all the suggestions -

I eventually got it working. I don't have (want) X installed on my server
(KISS). I installed ncurses and reinstalled angband. Works like a charm. I'm
off to find the One Ring. Thanks again.

Andre Smit a écrit :
> Thanks for all the suggestions -
>
> I eventually got it working. I don't have (want) X installed on my server
> (KISS). I installed ncurses and reinstalled angband. Works like a charm. I'm
> off to find the One Ring. Thanks again.
>
> "Andre Smit" <asmit@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
>>
>>angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
>>
>>Any suggestions - ? TIA

You don't need to install an X server on your server to use X programs.
All you need is one computer with an X server and an ssh client, and a
second computer ( your server ) with X applications and an ssh server !

Yes, I know it's impossible to understand what is written