ssh

Hi

When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get

angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!

Any suggestions - ? TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Juho Schultz wrote:
    > Juho Schultz wrote:
    > > Andre Smit wrote:

    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
    > >>
    > >> angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions - ? TIA

    > > Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...
    > >
    > > Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:
    > >
    > > ssh -X user@server

    > Sorry...
    >
    > it seems you get "can't open display" from X in the case your env is not correct.
    >
    > "display module" error comes from the game,
    > and sounds more like a real installation problem.

    Are you trying to play in a text console when the game has been
    compiled for graphics only?

    I can play over ssh to my home machine perfectly well, using the -mgcu
    switch. If that doesn't work for you, my first guess would be that your
    version is compiled for X only.

    Good luck,

    CC
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Andre Smit wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
    >
    > angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
    >
    > Any suggestions - ? TIA

    Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...

    Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:

    ssh -X user@server
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Juho Schultz wrote:
    > Andre Smit wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
    >>
    >> angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
    >>
    >> Any suggestions - ? TIA
    >>
    > Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...
    >
    > Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:
    >
    > ssh -X user@server

    Sorry...

    it seems you get "can't open display" from X in the case your env is not correct.

    "display module" error comes from the game,
    and sounds more like a real installation problem.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    In an Age long past, in an Age yet to come,
    Juho Schultz <juho.schultz@helsinki.fi> wrote:
    > Juho Schultz wrote:
    >> Andre Smit wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
    >>>
    >>> angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions - ? TIA
    >>>
    >> Sounds like there are some environment variables you need to set...
    >>
    >> Easiest way to do this is the -X option of ssh:
    >>
    >> ssh -X user@server
    >

    > Sorry...
    >
    > it seems you get "can't open display" from X in the case your env is not correct.
    >
    > "display module" error comes from the game,
    > and sounds more like a real installation problem.

    Your ssh might be reporting itself as an xterm. Try "export TERM=vt100"
    at the shell prompt and then run Angband.
    --
    Kevin
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Thanks for all the suggestions -

    I eventually got it working. I don't have (want) X installed on my server
    (KISS). I installed ncurses and reinstalled angband. Works like a charm. I'm
    off to find the One Ring. Thanks again.

    "Andre Smit" <asmit@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
    >
    > angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
    >
    > Any suggestions - ? TIA

  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Andre Smit a écrit :
    > Thanks for all the suggestions -
    >
    > I eventually got it working. I don't have (want) X installed on my server
    > (KISS). I installed ncurses and reinstalled angband. Works like a charm. I'm
    > off to find the One Ring. Thanks again.
    >
    > "Andre Smit" <asmit@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>When I try to run angband using ssh to my server I get
    >>
    >>angband: Unable to prepare any 'display module'!
    >>
    >>Any suggestions - ? TIA

    You don't need to install an X server on your server to use X programs.
    All you need is one computer with an X server and an ssh client, and a
    second computer ( your server ) with X applications and an ssh server !

    Yes, I know it's impossible to understand what is written

Games SSH Servers Video Games