Upgrading windows 7 ultimate 32 bit to 64 ultiamte

Status
Not open for further replies.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi guys:

So I have the windows 7 32 bit ultimate installed into my new computer by mistake, but im only using 4 out of the 16GB ram that I have. and I am hoping to install the 64 bit instead.

however, I do not have the windows 7 32 bits disk as I used my brother's copy. What I DO have is a 64 bit windows 7 ultimate "upgrade" legit download from my school that is burnt into a dis., not sure if it is the same thing as the windows installation disk itself. the size is 3.18 GB

So my question is, how then, can I change to 64 bit in this case, because when i attempt to simply run the 64 bit upgrade it just say "the installation disk isn't compatible with your version of windows....."

thanks!

Solution

Exactly.
Boot from the w7 dvd, select clean install, not upgrade.

You can activate from the new activation code.
You can't upgrade a 32 bit os to a 64 bit version.
You need to do a clean install.

If you have an upgrade DVD, you need to boot from it and select a clean install.

I don't know if your downloaded dvd is identical to the ones you buy at retail.
If it is, it should work.

If not, can you borrow a windows 7 64 bit dvd of any type that you can boot from to do the clean install?
As far as I can tell, they are all identical.
You can select ultimate at install, and later
activate using the activation code that you got from school.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

If you say they are identical, you mean that the "upgrade" is actually just the installation cd?

what happen is that I have the school download version, and it instructs me to burn it into a disk, so i think now i have a windows 64 bit boot disk.

with this disk, is it possible for me to clean install the 32 bit i have now and then install the 64 bit?

Why would you do the clean install of the 32 bit OS if you are wanting to move to 64 bit in the first place? Like geofelt told you, it isn't possible to do a "upgrade" of a OS from 32 bit to 64 bit. The kernel barrier doesn't allow it. You can use the ISO image you got from your school but again like geofelt said, you will have to boot to the CD/DVD and do a clean installation in order for it to work for you. :)

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
ok, my apology that I'm not using the right words.

What I have: 32 bits windows, a burnt cd of the 64 bit boot cd, with product key provided to me by school

what i want: get rid of 32 bit , and install 64 bit windows, no back up needed.

what I am hearing i should do : boot with 64 bit disk, install it.

Exactly.
Boot from the w7 dvd, select clean install, not upgrade.

You can activate from the new activation code.

Solution

Roger dodger! :sol:

Status
Not open for further replies.