ToME - am I missing something

Thought I'd give ToME a go. Anyway I fired up a character (Thunderlord
Ranger) bought some equipment and went into the Barrow Downs as
instructed. There I got some quest about rescuing a princess from
Brodda. Went a few steps into the dungeon Brodda kills me.

So I figure the idea must be to start with one of the other quests
first. Tried the thief ones and was killed (apparently a level 1 ranger
cannot manage to hit a novice rogue with 10 arrows - I was dead after that).

So I thought I'd try the Maggot quest - instant death to his dogs.

I've played some difficult *bands before but this is getting silly.

Am I missing something - how do you get started in this game?

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:52:22 +0000, David Howdon wrote:

> Thought I'd give ToME a go. Anyway I fired up a character (Thunderlord
> Ranger) bought some equipment and went into the Barrow Downs as
> instructed. There I got some quest about rescuing a princess from
> Brodda. Went a few steps into the dungeon Brodda kills me.

Random quests are a gamble. Set them to zero if you keep dying.

> So I figure the idea must be to start with one of the other quests
> first. Tried the thief ones and was killed (apparently a level 1 ranger
> cannot manage to hit a novice rogue with 10 arrows - I was dead after that).

Until you gain a couple of levels, you might find it beneficial to change
your tactics while trying to get hits in. Press C, then keep pressing t
to cycle through tactics settings. Press e to cycle through exploration
settings.

Note that ToME's very early game got a bit harder in 2.3 for non-magic
users, you started at an unlucky time.

--
Neil Stevens - neil@hakubi.us

'A republic, if you can keep it.' -- Benjamin Franklin

David Howdon wrote:
> Thought I'd give ToME a go. Anyway I fired up a character (Thunderlord
> Ranger) bought some equipment and went into the Barrow Downs as
> instructed. There I got some quest about rescuing a princess from
> Brodda. Went a few steps into the dungeon Brodda kills me.

That is bad luck.

> So I figure the idea must be to start with one of the other quests
> first. Tried the thief ones and was killed (apparently a level 1 ranger
> cannot manage to hit a novice rogue with 10 arrows - I was dead after
> that).

Make sure you know how to use the tactic/exploration settings. Thunderlords
have practically no stealth so you can run all the time - a few speed points
helps a lot. Also, in the thieves quest stealth is useless, as the monsters
are awake when you meet them.

> So I thought I'd try the Maggot quest - instant death to his dogs.

Maggot quest gives no EXP, just items. So never start with it.
Again, tactic settings help - remember you are not trying to kill them.
Once you have the reward, you can go back and kill the dogs for EXP.

> I've played some difficult *bands before but this is getting silly.
>
> Am I missing something - how do you get started in this game?

If you really have big trouble getting started, you can gain a few
levels in the wilderness by killing ants, jackals and such.

David Howdon writes:
> Juho Schultz wrote:
> >
> > If you really have big trouble getting started, you can gain a few
> > levels in the wilderness by killing ants, jackals and such.
>
> Might try that. Thanks

As long as you are playing a thunderlord, you might try throwing
lightning. Uat. It's very powerful in the early game. You might even
have been able to take out Brodda with it.

Juho Schultz wrote:
> David Howdon wrote:
>
>> Thought I'd give ToME a go. Anyway I fired up a character
>> (Thunderlord Ranger) bought some equipment and went into the Barrow
>> Downs as instructed. There I got some quest about rescuing a princess
>> from Brodda. Went a few steps into the dungeon Brodda kills me.
>>
> That is bad luck.

Tried it again and got Blue Oozes - much easier.

>> So I figure the idea must be to start with one of the other quests
>> first. Tried the thief ones and was killed (apparently a level 1
>> ranger cannot manage to hit a novice rogue with 10 arrows - I was dead
>> after that).
>>
> Make sure you know how to use the tactic/exploration settings. Thunderlords
> have practically no stealth so you can run all the time - a few speed
> points
> helps a lot. Also, in the thieves quest stealth is useless, as the monsters
> are awake when you meet them.

That seems helpful. Thanks