Dimension 4400 going slow

Hello,

My Dell Dimension 4400 with WinXP is going really slow, usually taking
more than a few seconds to open web pages, start new applications,
freezing when switching desktops.

All this began to happen after I started storing digital pictures in
the HD (about 1Gig now). Browsing this newgroup a few things came to
mind

- Fan clogged with dust (computer is under the table)
- Bad HD - any ideas how to check the HD ?
- Computer warmimg up

So I tought of backing up everything and reformat/reinstall all the
stuff again.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks

Fabio
8 answers Last reply
More about dimension 4400 slow

    On 9 Aug 2004 13:03:38 -0700, fabiogr wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My Dell Dimension 4400 with WinXP is going really slow, usually taking
    > more than a few seconds to open web pages, start new applications,
    > freezing when switching desktops.
    >
    > All this began to happen after I started storing digital pictures in
    > the HD (about 1Gig now). Browsing this newgroup a few things came to
    > mind
    >
    > - Fan clogged with dust (computer is under the table)
    > - Bad HD - any ideas how to check the HD ?
    > - Computer warmimg up
    >
    > So I tought of backing up everything and reformat/reinstall all the
    > stuff again.
    >
    > Anyone with a similar experience?
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you try defragmenting the hard drive? Run disk cleanup too to help
    clean out unused stuff.

    Dave
    --
    We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    US Army Signal Corps!
    www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "fabiogr" <fabiogr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My Dell Dimension 4400 with WinXP is going really slow, usually taking
    > more than a few seconds to open web pages, start new applications,
    > freezing when switching desktops.
    >
    > All this began to happen after I started storing digital pictures in
    > the HD (about 1Gig now). Browsing this newgroup a few things came to
    > mind
    >
    > - Fan clogged with dust (computer is under the table)
    > - Bad HD - any ideas how to check the HD ?
    > - Computer warmimg up
    >
    > So I tought of backing up everything and reformat/reinstall all the
    > stuff again.
    >
    > Anyone with a similar experience?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Fabio

    Absolutely the first thing to consider when a computer begins running "slow"
    is spyware, adware, trojans, or virus infection. Yes, in the past we looked
    at disk fragmentation and such, but today it's all about a corrupted or
    commandeered operating system.

    I would suggest that you do the following, in order:

    a) Visit http://www.lavasoftusa.com and download and install the free
    version of AdAware. Don't bother running it just yet - just install it.

    b) Visit http://www.safer-networking.org and grab Spybot Search & Destroy.
    Do the same as above.

    c) Make certain your anti-virus defintions are up to date.

    Now, restart your computer in "Safe Mode". Run a full virus scan using your
    anti-virus, followed by AdAware, followed by Spybot. Reboot the computer
    normally and run both AdAware and Spybot a second time. Reboot once more.

    Is it back to normal speed now?

    Carmine Castiglia
    Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags
    http://www.infosystemspro.com/ilike_004.htm

    If all these tips do not result in the computer running at somewhere near its
    original speed, do the disk cleanup (as suggested by someone else), then look at
    the rest of the sludge in the temporary files folder, delete the useless stuff,
    THEN defrag the hard drive. Note that disk cleanup does an incomplete job.
    Click Start, then Run, then enter %temp% in the run dialog box and click OK.
    The resulting view of the temporary file folder for the currently logged in user
    shows what is left AFTER the disk cleanup. In many cases, the leftovers are
    substantial and may include web pages, GIF and JPEG images, HP inkjet printer
    spooling files, and a lot of trash left behind by applications written and
    tested by naive and inexperienced software development groups who fancy
    themselves to be software engineers.

    Also, each and every program loaded when the system starts up takes up memory,
    and makes it harder for other programs to run. Each and every icon on the
    desktop and in the Start->Programs menu tree also takes up more memory. Make
    sure you know what each of these programs does, and remove any which you do not
    use. Almost every software package installed these days thinks it is SO
    important that it must be launched when your system starts up. Run MSCONFIG to
    see them all... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:53:35 GMT, "Carmine Castiglia"
    <ccastiglia@infosystemspro.com> wrote:

    >"fabiogr" <fabiogr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My Dell Dimension 4400 with WinXP is going really slow, usually taking
    >> more than a few seconds to open web pages, start new applications,
    >> freezing when switching desktops.
    >>
    >> All this began to happen after I started storing digital pictures in
    >> the HD (about 1Gig now). Browsing this newgroup a few things came to
    >> mind
    >>
    >> - Fan clogged with dust (computer is under the table)
    >> - Bad HD - any ideas how to check the HD ?
    >> - Computer warmimg up
    >>
    >> So I tought of backing up everything and reformat/reinstall all the
    >> stuff again.
    >>
    >> Anyone with a similar experience?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Fabio
    >
    >Absolutely the first thing to consider when a computer begins running "slow"
    >is spyware, adware, trojans, or virus infection. Yes, in the past we looked
    >at disk fragmentation and such, but today it's all about a corrupted or
    >commandeered operating system.
    >
    >I would suggest that you do the following, in order:
    >
    > a) Visit http://www.lavasoftusa.com and download and install the free
    >version of AdAware. Don't bother running it just yet - just install it.
    >
    > b) Visit http://www.safer-networking.org and grab Spybot Search & Destroy.
    >Do the same as above.
    >
    > c) Make certain your anti-virus defintions are up to date.
    >
    >Now, restart your computer in "Safe Mode". Run a full virus scan using your
    >anti-virus, followed by AdAware, followed by Spybot. Reboot the computer
    >normally and run both AdAware and Spybot a second time. Reboot once more.
    >
    >Is it back to normal speed now?
    >

    > Carmine Castiglia
    > Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags
    >http://www.infosystemspro.com/ilike_004.htm

    Sometimes, the easiest thing is just to re-install OS.

    However, I just solved the problems with my matching by going to System
    Restore, and setting the machine to two months ago, easily done in XP,
    forget how its done in previous systems.

> [...]
    > >commandeered operating system.
    > >
    > >I would suggest that you do the following, in order:
    > >
    > > a) Visit http://www.lavasoftusa.com and download and install the free
    > >version of AdAware. Don't bother running it just yet - just install it.
    > >
    > > b) Visit http://www.safer-networking.org and grab Spybot Search &
    Destroy.
    > >Do the same as above.
    > >
    > > c) Make certain your anti-virus defintions are up to date.
    > >
    > >Now, restart your computer in "Safe Mode". Run a full virus scan using
    your
    > >anti-virus, followed by AdAware, followed by Spybot. Reboot the computer
    > >normally and run both AdAware and Spybot a second time. Reboot once
    more.

    > >Is it back to normal speed now?
    > >

    > > Carmine Castiglia
    > > Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags

    Tony,

    The system restore feature is one of the important new features in XP. Windows
    ME has one, too, but with ME being as flaky as it is, I would not trust it.

    "Sometimes, the easiest thing is just to re-install OS." Well, yes and no. And
    reinstall all software applications. Followed by many megabytes of Windows
    critical fixes and security patches. Or is it security fixes and critical
    patches? Whatever. More than one reboot required after installing them. Oh,
    yeah. Back up all your data before doing a reinstall. Easy to re-install. I
    can only encourage people to re-install after strongly suggesting that they make
    a detailed written reinstallation plan, showing all the steps needed to get it
    done.

    Of course, major corporations have standardized hardware and software
    configurations and automated backups onto servers, which makes it real easy to
    do a reinstall. But for those of us outside major corporate America, a
    re-install can be a major chore... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:41:21 +0000 (UTC), "Tony" <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >> >anti-virus, followed by AdAware, followed by Spybot. Reboot the computer
    >> >normally and run both AdAware and Spybot a second time. Reboot once
    >more.
    >> >
    >> >Is it back to normal speed now?
    >> >

    >> > Carmine Castiglia
    >> > Get your stuff back for less with StuffBak Labels & Tags
    >> >http://www.infosystemspro.com/ilike_004.htm

    Hello,

    >Absolutely the first thing to consider when a computer begins running "slow"
    > is spyware, adware, trojans, or virus infection. Yes, in the past we looked
    > at disk fragmentation and such, but today it's all about a corrupted or
    > commandeered operating system.
    >
    > I would suggest that you do the following, in order:
    >
    > a) Visit http://www.lavasoftusa.com and download and install the free
    > version of AdAware. Don't bother running it just yet - just install it.

    Thanks very much to you and all others for the invaluable help.
    After running both Adware and Spybot the computer is now back in shape.
    (I had about 800 hits on Adware).

    Is adware the virus of the 21st century?

    Fabio

    > If all these tips do not result in the computer running at somewhere near
    its
    > original speed, do the disk cleanup (as suggested by someone else), then
    look at
    > the rest of the sludge in the temporary files folder, delete the useless
    stuff,
    > THEN defrag the hard drive...

    Despite the need for magazine editors to continue to bow ever so slightly to
    their advertisers and therefore continue to push things like defragging
    utilities, anyone who has been around small computer systems for more than
    10 years knows that defragging is simply not the necessity that it once was.

    There was a time when defragging a "large" disk (back when 40 *megabytes*
    was a "large" disk!) could easily speed up a system's overall performance by
    15% or more. There were a number of reasons for the improved speed but the
    single most important one was that hard disk seek times were so darned slow
    relative to today's drives. With disk seek times now down to 1/20th or less
    of what they were a number of years ago, plus on-board disk controllers
    (used to be on a separate card, now part of the disk drive itself), plus
    on-board data caching - not to mention disk rotational speeds of 7,200 rpm
    vs 3,600 rpm years ago - the performance gains provided by defragging a
    modern system are probably no more than a couple of percentage points.

    On the other hand, the single most important cause of PC's "slowing down"
    based on my experience working with dozens of PC's at the office as well as
    the inevitable requests of friends and coworkers for help with their
    personal systems is as I said earlier, trojans, viruses, spyware, and
    adware. When someone brings their "slow" PC to me to "look at", I typically
    find two or three separate virus infections, and - in one case - six
    different hidden adware applications running in the background.

    Carmine Castiglia
    Bugs in your software? How about mice in your hardware?
    http://www.infosystemspro.com/tip_002.htm

    "Carmine Castiglia" <ccastiglia@infosystemspro.com> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > On the other hand, the single most important cause of PC's "slowing down"
    > based on my experience working with dozens of PC's at the office as well
    > as
    > the inevitable requests of friends and coworkers for help with their
    > personal systems is as I said earlier, trojans, viruses, spyware, and
    > adware. When someone brings their "slow" PC to me to "look at", I
    > typically
    > find two or three separate virus infections, and - in one case - six
    > different hidden adware applications running in the background.

    <snip>

    Such is the reason one wishes to break the fingers of whomever the "click
    happy" individual causing such repeated slowdowns, infections, and other
    quagmires.

    :)

    Stew

Dell Dimension HD Computers