Sign in with
Your question

100 % cpu whenever task manager isn't up?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2013 8:31:27 PM

Whenever I load up windows 7 with bootcamp, my cpu jumps to 100 % usage almost as soon as I log in. I can not figure out what is taking up my cpu power. When I open up task manager, there are no processes running anywhere near 100%. Also, when task manager is open, the cpu goes back to normal at around 2-3% cpu usage. WIthout task manager, the cpu gets hot fast and the fans start in full speed! Its insane! I play a lot of video games on my computer, and when I dont have task manager open, there is insane amounts of framerate lag. Games, such as Warcraft 3, are lagging my computer when they are set on low! Anything newer is unplayable.... Any help to solve this problem would be appreciated!

My computer:

15" Macbook pro non retina, intel quad-core i7 3615QM @ 2.3 GHz turbo to 3.3 GHz, 512MB nvidia geforce 650M, 4 Gigs of ram.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise edition with service pack 1.

More about : 100 cpu task manager

a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 8:36:16 PM

Virus ?
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:42:10 PM

xXObyzouthXx said:

My computer:

15" Macbook pro non retina, intel quad-core i7 3615QM @ 2.3 GHz turbo to 3.3 GHz, 512MB nvidia geforce 650M, 4 Gigs of ram.

Enterprise edition???? Why not home... that must have set you back some (wink wink).
I would just buy (keyword being buy) Home Ed.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 8:46:17 PM

xXObyzouthXx said:
Whenever I load up windows 7 with bootcamp, my cpu jumps to 100 % usage almost as soon as I log in. I can not figure out what is taking up my cpu power. When I open up task manager, there are no processes running anywhere near 100%. Also, when task manager is open, the cpu goes back to normal at around 2-3% cpu usage. WIthout task manager, the cpu gets hot fast and the fans start in full speed! Its insane! I play a lot of video games on my computer, and when I dont have task manager open, there is insane amounts of framerate lag. Games, such as Warcraft 3, are lagging my computer when they are set on low! Anything newer is unplayable.... Any help to solve this problem would be appreciated!

My computer:

Did it ever occur to you that Bootcamp might actually be the culprit of the high CPU usage? Most people now use Parallels instead of Bootcamp because it was just that....a resource hog. :o 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 10:10:36 PM

Shouldn't it show as a process and a cpu usage in Task Manager?
m
l
January 7, 2013 1:17:36 PM

Found out the problem. There was a sneaky process virus that would hide whenever a task manager was opened. For some reason however it didn't hide itself when i used the process manager on the software- Advanced System Care 6. The virus was igfxUpdate in the process manager and took 100% of the CPU. I stopped the service which was SearchIndexer and deleted the igfxUpdate file in the SYSWow64 folder. I then restarted my computer and in the command console typed "sc delete SearchIndexer" and now my computer is back to normal!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 5:28:58 PM

A LOT of viruses are smart enough to look for Task Manager, thats why I always keep Process Explorer around.
m
l
!