Sign in with
Your question

Window 7 printing problems with hp laserjet 1100

Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:29:51 PM

Hello,
can anyone exolain why sometimes my hp laserjet 1100 sometimes shows as being installed on the devices and printers then when i shut down and restart my nrw windows 7 computer it does not recognise the printer straight away and i have to restart the computer several times before it does
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:35:33 PM

It could be a bad driver causing it. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the printer?

Also, go into Control Panel -> Device Manager and expand the category Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
Right click on each of the USB Root Hub options (one at a time mind you), choose properties, click on the Power Management tab, and then clear the checkbox from the option that reads "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

This is likely your issue as the printer is losing connection when the computer kills the power to the USB ports.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:41:08 PM

hedwar2011 said:
It could be a bad driver causing it. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the printer?

Also, go into Control Panel -> Device Manager and expand the category Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
Right click on each of the USB Root Hub options (one at a time mind you), choose properties, click on the Power Management tab, and then clear the checkbox from the option that reads "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

This is likely your issue as the printer is losing connection when the computer kills the power to the USB ports.

Hi :) 

The 1100 is so old (think early XP and 98) that its not got USB...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:42:38 PM

Brett928S2 said:

The 1100 is so old (think early XP and 98) that its not got USB...

True....I'm so used to seeing the newer printers I guess...

Could definitely be a bad driver issue...

HERE 's the drivers just in case.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:44:19 PM

hedwar2011 said:
True....I'm so used to seeing the newer printers I guess...

Could definitely be a bad driver issue...

Or the generic driver for MS... none from HP ... or if hes using a parallel/usb adapter....

Time for a new printer methinks...

m
l
January 6, 2013 10:18:23 PM

Thanks we are thinking the same although it is so annoying when this printer worked ok with my old xp computer.we have just updated to a new hp windows 7 computer and it doesn't seem tolike this printer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 10:24:51 PM

greensleeves said:
Thanks we are thinking the same although it is so annoying when this printer worked ok with my old xp computer.we have just updated to a new hp windows 7 computer and it doesn't seem tolike this printer.

That's the quandary with any new OS or computer these days. Users find something they like (HDD, printer, monitor, etc.) and it is rendered obsolete by M$ when they update an OS.

I did notice that HP actually has drivers for Windows 7 for that printer which struck me as odd but then again I'm not surprised.

Just curious though, how is the printer connected? USB, Serial, or Parallel?
m
l
!