Device manager cant update drivers from 2006

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hello,
my dv7 6178bus can't update its driver software. it was reset to the default factory settings when my friend gave it to me. The software on the drivers is from 2006 and refuses to update manually or with the option in device manager.

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
It didn't help. My laptop still doesn't recognize 2 of the 2.0 usb drives it has he 3.0 working. The graphics update didn't work. I know what graphics card specifications I have now but it still refuses to update. It says that the current standard vga graphics adapter is the most up to date. half of my device drivers have a yellow icon saying that they are unknown. they all say up to date.

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

:fou: all of it's processing power has it at a 7 score across the board and it is a score of 1 because of the graphics driver. I highly doubt the manufacturers would make a "standard vga graphics adapter" or any graphics card that crappy unless it was a last resort default in the system as a backup. It has a radeon graphics card and is running the "standard va graphics adapter" It isn't running it's graphics software. please don't be a butt and tell people usless information.

Have you tried any of the drivers from HP's support site? They are there for this very reason. Or you can even go as far as loading drivers from AMD's site for the graphics card if we knew what it was. It's always good to use drivers from either the manufacturers websites over the Windows default ones.

please don't be a butt and tell people usless information.

Easy there killer. :eek: He had a very good point. It could be up-to-date per Microsoft's standards and the HAL verification.

Maybe start off your post with saying it was giving Standard VGA for graphics and actually explain your problem, which you didn't at all other than saying it's can't update a driver.

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
It's not just that it can't update the driver...I have 4 usb ports...the 3.0 (x2) work but the 2.0 (x2) appear as unknown in the device manager. there are yellow yield icons on everything in the device manager including the graphics card software. when I ran a scan for my graphics card from the radeon graphics site it located the correct graphics card software but was unsuccessfull in applying the software over the standard vga graphics adapter. I also used the auto update feature and it claimed that a software update from 2006 was up to date when this computer was bought in 2010. my friend just informed me that he didnt restart to factory default he updated the OS to windows 7 and let the computer auto update. It is currently running an unregistered version of windows 7. He has to give me the reg key. but the computer runs a radeon graphics card that should be able to play mafia games and the like on a medium lvl with 30fps...right now it is incapable of even getting to the start screen because of the graphics software.

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Manually the site has updates all the way to 2011. The laptop won't update manually because it says that it is up to date with 2006 software. Something about not being compatable when I run one of the driver software.

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Radeon HD 6490M s
that is the graphics card in my computer...but it is running the Standard vga graphics adapter instead of that software. and it refuses to update even to that. Radeon's site did a scan for my card and found it but was unsuccessful in applying the software.

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

it's a 64-bit operating system...my friend was running vista on it before he updated it a few months ago with windows 7. The processing speed and everything is running at 7-scores across the board until it gets to graphics. I need the graphics for photoshop. The software I just tried to install claims that the computer is incapable of running the driver software for Radeon HD 6490M s due to incompatable software/hardware on the computer. The computer doesn't recognize the fn commands for the wireless button or the contrast keys. I tried ctrl+fn and still no success. and because the 2.0 usb device drives are being read as unknown I am unfamiliar what happened to the computer.

Seems like you need chipset drivers in first, then USB should fall into place, then it should let you do the video. Sometimes you can't do the video if the chipset isn't in yet. Especially on systems that didn't come with 7 or with hardware rather that was out when 7 was made.

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012

Good advice and link from IronSounds! After you download and run the executable driver files from HP's website a extracted copy is saved to C:\swsetup. You can use the device manager and choose to browse for driver files manually and drill down to the correct file. If you receive a warning about compatibility choose to override it. I suggest download one driver file from HP at a time, the run the *.exe file. I it didn't fix the driver then use the manual method I mentioned before. Good luck

maxtar

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I finally got it to update files but it is just moving slowly. It finally corrected itself and automatically updated the graphics driver software. Thanks for the help everyone :) I just need to know why they still have the yield icons next to everything...I'll try rebooting after the corrections finish and see if it fixes it.

TRENDING THREADS