Competition 34 Ready

Hello All,

Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
competition starts at character level 27.

I noticed on the last thread that a Quickband gane was suggested, I'll
hold that thought for the next competition, if someone sends me a
savefile for it I'll use it or I'll create one.

Regards

Tony Holmes

http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
> Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
> competition starts at character level 27.
>
> I noticed on the last thread that a Quickband gane was suggested, I'll
> hold that thought for the next competition, if someone sends me a
> savefile for it I'll use it or I'll create one.

OK. Probably a good idea to hold on this as I have some bugfixes to do.
We'll do a savefile at some later date.

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
> Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
> competition starts at character level 27.

Why choose this particular character, Eddie? Doesn't seem particularly
unusual? (apart from being a bit thick)

A.

"Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> writes:

> avh@softalk.ws wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
>> Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
>> competition starts at character level 27.
>
> Why choose this particular character, Eddie? Doesn't seem particularly
> unusual? (apart from being a bit thick)
>
> A.

The comps take too long, IMO. This seemed like a way to address that.
You get to start with the essentials and go from there.

Also, I don't really understand priests. I want to see the winner
dump so I have a yardstick to measure against. This is just a dump
from my current game, but since no one else submitted a comp, I
figured I might as well get some use out of it. I played pretty well
up to the start of the comp, but I cannot judge my skill level since
then.

Cliff keeps posting things that I don't understand. I hope he will
play the comp so I can pick his brain about it.

Change what options you must to be willing to play. That means
anything, but I hope most people will leave autoscum and connected
stairs off since that's what interests me at the moment. Quests are
fine, if you think they are worth the time.

The savefile is from a previous winner, so the monster memory is
decent, but it is new for me for NPP 0.4.1 so it is by no means
perfect.

Eddie

avh@softalk.ws wrote in news:1122842718.241384.16880
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I noticed on the last thread that a Quickband gane was suggested, I'll
> hold that thought for the next competition, if someone sends me a
> savefile for it I'll use it or I'll create one.

Quickband is still a bit too rapid in changes for a regular
competition yet.

"Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
> > Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
> > competition starts at character level 27.
>
> Why choose this particular character, Eddie? Doesn't seem particularly
> unusual? (apart from being a bit thick)

With the already leveled Character and the Speed ring, the luck factor of
this competition is reduced. As the competition is won by the player with
lowest turns, and turns heavily depending on speed, competitions have a high
chance of beeing won by the player with the most lucky early find.
Sure if someone finds Ringil from the first slayn Troll, it's still a big
advantage in this comp...

of course I might be way off, and the intention of this Character was
totally different 0_0

Jeda

Cliff Stamp <sstamp@physics.mun.ca> writes:

> Are you allowed to try it more than once?

As many times as you like.

Eddie

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:

> I hope he will play the comp so I can pick his brain about it.

Are you allowed to try it more than once? Since the goal is low turn count,
I simply dived to 1650, I went down basically until I found a pit. It was a
minor orc one which I would have cleared except for some bad luck with a
mature green dragon which came into LOS during the fight.

Normally this could be avoided with some investement in turns (check the
level for dangerous monsters to teleport into), but since this is a speed
game I was playing a bit more dangerous without getting too much involved in
the turn count like rarely walking.

I downloaded the savefile and tried it again and this time found Turmil on
the way to the first pit which is a god weapon for a priest for a long time,
only Aule is more powerful early game as you can't melee so it is all about
ability to use OoD.

The game gets fairly easy then and the guy is now at ~1950 and set to cruise
as he also found two !wis. But as noted I died already on a previous attempt
so in a regular game it would be back to startup. Not sure about competition
rules.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

Cliff Stamp <sstamp@physics.mun.ca> writes:

>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:
>
> [not understanding priests]

[ beginner advice deleted ]

I think you misunderstood me. I am quite skilled, but usually play
warriors. I'm interested in whether it is possible to win with a
priest in 500K game turns. Or even 600K.

I'm interested in advanced strategies, such as when it is right to use
pointy weapons. Is it necessary and/or sufficient to keep the 325
heal at 0%? Should one carry both the 4th and 7th spellbooks
simultaneously? In NPP, in what order should you spend money on WIS
and CON and dungeon spellbooks?

In my current game, I underestimated the need to do melee damage. I
wish I had kept Haradekket. Are there subtleties in spell vs melee
tradeoffs I'm not aware of? Should I have started the game with more
points in Dex?

Win the game, post your dump, and then I'll know what to ask.
Perhaps a dump every 10 dLevels would be useful.

Eddie

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:

[not understanding priests]

A priest starts off as a near useless warrior and spellcaster, with no real
damage until OoD and it is a *long* while before you get enough mana to use
that as a primary form of damage, unless you rest a lot. This was changed
awhile ago as now priests get a magic missle spell early (hammer) so you can
play them the same as early mages, but again will run a huge turn count.

There is only one real way to move quickly with a priest early outside of
strong luck (early +wis amulet, or +speed) which is to run them as archers,
use an x-bow and potions of heroism and scrolls of blessing. Even a +8,+8
x-bow with +8,+8 bolts does a decent amount of damage and getting a x4 one
doesn't take a huge amount of luck and you can do ~80 hp's per round.

Your SP's mainly go for healing through CSW and CCW or a few early blasts of
OoD depending on the monster and its offensive abilities (open up a fight
against a unique orc for example, a couple of OoD usually mangles his
escorts). You save any decent bolts for uniques and use these and scrolls
of phase door (lots and lots and lots of them) to get you down to stat gain
along with any useful wands or staves which show up. You don't need R
because you get fire/cold from a spell, acid can be ignored as armor soaks
it and lightening is rare anyway.

Unfortunately this runs a lot of money on the disposable items and thus you
usually have little to no gold if anything turns up, if nice +wis amulet
shows up, then almost everything can go to get it. It is a bit slow until
you get your bow and bolts setup, but then it is *move*. I dive from
1000 to 1500, or basically from free action to 1500, as don't stop
unless a strong feeling comes up as nexus hounds start to come up under
there and if I am going to risk them I at least want to have a chance at a
!wis.

At around 1500 hopefully you have picked up some wis items, as there are
many ways it can turn up, and you start to switch to using more and more OoD
and less and less bolting and pretty much ditch all regular bolts unless you
find a nice missle weapon or might or better. At this point you can start
losing some of your support scrolls and items as your mana might be high
enough for you to use it, which books you find make a huge difference as
well.

You play as OoD priest for a *long* time, I move from 1500 to 2000 fairly
fast, the quickest way is to use teleport and object detection to quicky see
if a level is worth exploring, just bounce around 5-6 times and if not just
continue down. There is usually a pause at ~2000 depending on equipment,
because moving down at +0 speed, with no temp speed, without decent stats,
with one attack per round, and lacking high resists will be difficult.

Lots of guys here will have to be ignored, Gorlim for example bolts heavy
and fast and you will not be able to deal with him by OoD unless you have a
staff of the magi or two and who sees them that early. The guys with evasion
also are pretty much invunerable and you ignore all of them as well.
Anything not evil is hard to kill and anything which can heal is near
impossible.

How you play is really dependend on what you get to this point, if you get a
lot of wis items you can ignore pretty much everything and go down without
resists (have R of course), all you really need is a staff of speed. There
are a lot of things you can't kill but again you could get lucky and find
high dex gloves and a high dex weapon or just a god one like Aule.

By the time you reach 2500 you usually have decent stats and you tend to
play in a couple of ways, if you have a decent weapon then you can melee
guys with ranged attacks using earthquake to fight, and healing often.
Unless they heal it really doesn't matter how much offence you can do, even
a decent weapon is enough.

Some guys are still near impossible to beat at their depth withough extreme
cheeze like piles of glyphs (but these take high turn counts), as their hp's
are just so high that without the right slay and speed you can't damage them
faster than they can heal and you will quickly run out of SP's using heal to
recover from breaths and bolts, plus just powerful melss. So just ignore
them and move on. Once you get destruction you can dive like a maniac and
just use it to go as deep as you want.

As long as you have preserve on, there is nothing stopping you from moving
right down to the bottom and picking your fights there. Bounce around using
teleport and detection and don't hesitate to destruct. There are lots of
deep monsters and uniques that you can take out easy with OoD which will
yield good drops and exp and post little risk. A great Ice Wyrm for example
isn't that dangerous with double resist cold and your ability
to heal at will.

That last method is kind of cheezy, but not nearly as bad as mages with
genocide which is the same thing without risk. This should be at least large
perm exp-loss instead of hp drain. As with anything what you find and when
makes a huge difference, find a heavy x-bow with might/shots early and you
are likely essentially a ranger for the whole game.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Cliff Stamp <sstamp@physics.mun.ca> writes:

> >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:

> > [not understanding priests]

> [ beginner advice deleted ]

[snip]

> Win the game, post your dump, and then I'll know what to ask.
> Perhaps a dump every 10 dLevels would be useful.

Oh, and Cliff - while you're at it, could you sort out world peace too?
There's a good chap.

CC

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
> Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
> competition starts at character level 27.
>
> I noticed on the last thread that a Quickband gane was suggested, I'll
> hold that thought for the next competition, if someone sends me a
> savefile for it I'll use it or I'll create one.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Holmes
>
> http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Tony, please zip up save files when you post them to your site. Windows
has terrible problems with extensionless filenames, and cannot download
them correctly. At least, I think that's the problem - I can never d/l
your savefiles when I'm in Windows, yet they work fine in Linux.

CC

> Tony, please zip up save files when you post them to your site. Windows
> has terrible problems with extensionless filenames, and cannot download
> them correctly. At least, I think that's the problem - I can never d/l
> your savefiles when I'm in Windows, yet they work fine in Linux.
>
> CC

When using IE, I usually right-click on the link and select "Save
Target As" from the menu. It may work for other browsers as well.

Tony

magnate a écrit :
> avh@softalk.ws wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
>>Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
>>competition starts at character level 27.
>>
>>I noticed on the last thread that a Quickband gane was suggested, I'll
>>hold that thought for the next competition, if someone sends me a
>>savefile for it I'll use it or I'll create one.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Tony Holmes
>>
>>http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
>

> Tony, please zip up save files when you post them to your site. Windows
> has terrible problems with extensionless filenames, and cannot download
> them correctly. At least, I think that's the problem - I can never d/l
> your savefiles when I'm in Windows, yet they work fine in Linux.
>
> CC

Isn't that a problem with Internet Explorer instead ? You can always get
wget for win32 if you want a reliable download manager :)

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

> "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Tony, please zip up save files when you post them to your site.
> > Windows
> > has terrible problems with extensionless filenames, and cannot
> > download
> > them correctly. At least, I think that's the problem - I can never d/l
> > your savefiles when I'm in Windows, yet they work fine in Linux.
> >

> What exactly is the problem? I have no issues with it on Windows.

IIRC, the problem is that the server returns a Content-Type header of
text/plain, which doesn't guarantee that the browser will treat it as
binary content and leave it unchanged. If this is not in Tony's control
(I suspect it isn't), zipping it up could be a good way of making sure
that everyone can download it, whatever browser they use.
--
Antony Sidwell.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Cliff Stamp wrote:

[priest]

> ... for example they can
> ignore the 2000 poison break because they have the resist in a spell, and
> the high wis often allows them to ignore the 1000 free action break

Never give advice based on play a dozen years ago without checking your
memory. Priest's don't have a resist poison spell in NPP, I must have been
thinking of mages. I also had a massive wis 18/150, and got frozen twice by
low level guys (magic mushroom and vampire), so back on the free action ring.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> avh@softalk.ws wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
>> Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
>> competition starts at character level 27.
>>
>> I noticed on the last thread that a Quickband gane was suggested,
>> I'll
>> hold that thought for the next competition, if someone sends me a
>> savefile for it I'll use it or I'll create one.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tony Holmes
>>
>> http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
>
> Tony, please zip up save files when you post them to your site.
> Windows
> has terrible problems with extensionless filenames, and cannot
> download
> them correctly. At least, I think that's the problem - I can never d/l
> your savefiles when I'm in Windows, yet they work fine in Linux.

What exactly is the problem? I have no issues with it on Windows.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:31:02 -0700, Eddie Grove
<eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:

>Cliff Stamp <sstamp@physics.mun.ca> writes:
>
>>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:
>>
>> [not understanding priests]
>
>[ beginner advice deleted ]
>
>I think you misunderstood me. I am quite skilled, but usually play
>warriors. I'm interested in whether it is possible to win with a
>priest in 500K game turns. Or even 600K.
>
>I'm interested in advanced strategies, such as when it is right to use
>pointy weapons. Is it necessary and/or sufficient to keep the 325
>heal at 0%? Should one carry both the 4th and 7th spellbooks
>simultaneously? In NPP, in what order should you spend money on WIS
>and CON and dungeon spellbooks?
>
>In my current game, I underestimated the need to do melee damage. I
>wish I had kept Haradekket. Are there subtleties in spell vs melee
>tradeoffs I'm not aware of? Should I have started the game with more
>points in Dex?

You can't get more than 14, and you would have to get one each of
STR,CON and WIS very low, or two of them mediocre, and you still
need 5 points of DEX to get to 18/10 where it starts to make a
difference.
ATM I'm using taratol, and altough I have 3 attacks with it, I'm
not meleeing very much with it.

--
Wim Benthem

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Antony Sidwell wrote:
> "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
> > "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > Tony, please zip up save files when you post them to your site.

> > What exactly is the problem? I have no issues with it on Windows.

> IIRC, the problem is that the server returns a Content-Type header of
> text/plain, which doesn't guarantee that the browser will treat it as
> binary content and leave it unchanged. If this is not in Tony's control
> (I suspect it isn't), zipping it up could be a good way of making sure
> that everyone can download it, whatever browser they use.

Thanks Antony, that's exactly what I meant. I don't know exactly what
the problem is, but r-clicking from IE and selecting "save as" does NOT
work for me.

CC

Cliff Stamp <sstamp@physics.mun.ca> writes:

I'm continuing my game, which I (obviously) started before the comp
and I am taking it slow and steady [for me] trying to learn priests.
I've made it past 4000' now.

> a) The Well-balanced Lucerne Hammer 'Turmil' (2d5) (+10,+6) [+8] (+4) {@w0}

The best unpointed weapon I found all game was Totila.
I used some blessed/HA weapons sometimes, but usually
use an unblessed randart 3d7 shortsword.

> d) a Ring of Speed (+7)

And you got additional early speed.

> e) an Amulet of Wisdom (+4)

For some reason, it seemed to take forever to get that.

> h) The Cloak 'Colannon' [1,+15] (+3)

I had nothing better than Thorongil until 3000' at least.

> g) a Holy Book of Prayers [Wrath of God] {@p8}
>
> [insert manical laugh here]

Still haven't seen that.

> s) 13 Arrows of Flame (1d4) (+4,+6) {@f1}
> t) 8 Arrows of Frost (1d4) (+5,+7) {@f2}
> u) 14 Arrows of Slay Animal (1d4) (+8,+10) {@f3}
>
> Running low, hopefully will find enough potions to give decent melee before
> they run out or find more stacks. Had a nice stack of dragon ones which
> allowed quick leveling by killing big D's. Some kill undead evil and acid
> ones would be sweet.

Don't forget about store services. You can brand ammo for less than
1K/arrow if you run out. Randomly fire/cold/poison.

> r) The Mace 'Taratol' (3d4) (+12,+12) {@w0}

Haven't seen that either.

Advice to self -- find better stuff sooner!

Eddie

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:

>> a) The Well-balanced Lucerne Hammer 'Turmil' (2d5) (+10,+6) [+8] (+4) {@w0}
>
> The best unpointed weapon I found all game was Totila.
> I used some blessed/HA weapons sometimes, but usually
> use an unblessed randart 3d7 shortsword.

Until a really long time damage is irrelevant so just +wis counts, +con and
of course speed and resists. Blessed weaponds are usually better than HA
early as you can get better +wis, I do anyway, plus the blessed weapons can
have decent secondary abilities, get one with ESP and you are set.

>> d) a Ring of Speed (+7)
>
> And you got additional early speed.

Yeah, this doesn't make as much difference diving wise as you might think.
Without resistances there are still a lot of things you can't fight, 0% heal
is much more important when as long as you have staves of speed there are
still a lot of things you can fight, more if you are willing to rest a lot
and OoD them.

>> e) an Amulet of Wisdom (+4)
>
> For some reason, it seemed to take forever to get that.

I found a +5 one early once with a priest, that guy doves like a maniac,
ever level gained would push another one with spells gained.

>> g) a Holy Book of Prayers [Wrath of God] {@p8}

This is the most critial item, wrath of god allows any speed of diving you
want.

--

Eddie Grove wrote:
> "Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> writes:
>
> > avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> Competition 34 is now ready for download from my website. It is a
> >> Dwarven Priest in NPPAngband 0.4.1 submitted by Eddie Grove. This
> >> competition starts at character level 27.
> >
> > Why choose this particular character, Eddie? Doesn't seem particularly
> > unusual? (apart from being a bit thick)
> >
> > A.
>
> The comps take too long, IMO. This seemed like a way to address that.
> You get to start with the essentials and go from there.
>
> Also, I don't really understand priests. I want to see the winner
> dump so I have a yardstick to measure against. This is just a dump
> from my current game, but since no one else submitted a comp, I
> figured I might as well get some use out of it. I played pretty well
> up to the start of the comp, but I cannot judge my skill level since
> then.
>
> Cliff keeps posting things that I don't understand. I hope he will
> play the comp so I can pick his brain about it.

I'm enjoying this one- I think there's something to be said for
reasonably straightforward characters, at least some of the time. I
don't normally play pure spellcasters much, as the beginning is a bit
slow for me- this gets around that, and Priests are definitely fun to
play once they get past the initial hump.

I've never played NPP before and I like it so far, although some of the
available services seem a bit dodgy to me- it does seem harder to put
together a boatload of cash than in Vanilla though, so that mediates it
some. It's close enough to V though, that I find myself assuming things
that aren't necessarily true, sometimes to my detriment ;). The small
levels are murder- lost my first try to one. Fire ants burned all my
recalls, there was no escape from everything else on the level, and I
had yet to acquire ?TeleportLevel.

Also, are some staples (like arrows and ?WoR) a bit less common in
shops in NPP, or is this the RNG messing with me? My current Priest was
dropping nice and quickly (had gone to 1950 in about 20000 additional
turns) when he ran out of WoR (though he bought out what he saw). It
took around 150k turns of town scumming to get 6 new ones, and I am
about to run out again, if the store doesn't restock on my next trip
(I'm going to buy out everything I can before I leave).

I was ready to keep going looking for RPoison (I never seem to find it
until a while after it would have been nice to have it), but after that
I slowed up a bit, as turns were already so high. Wis is up to 18/102,
Con is at 18/62, I can toss in a Ring (currently have +3), and I'm
getting tired of hanging out at 2000'. Would like to get AoWis though.

Best find so far: a troll dropped Godly Insights at around 1300'. Also
found Anarion (but given the Robe of Permanence, the Shield of
Preservation seems better at the moment), and some boots of Free
Action, freeing up a Ring slot- have oDamage(+11) in there right now,
as HP are OK for 2000' and under, but if I drop, Con will go there.
Other than that, nothing special (my previous try had Anguirel, found
on the ground at 1250' or so).

> Change what options you must to be willing to play. That means
> anything, but I hope most people will leave autoscum and connected
> stairs off since that's what interests me at the moment. Quests are
> fine, if you think they are worth the time.

Does that mean I can turn on merge discounts?

> The savefile is from a previous winner, so the monster memory is
> decent, but it is new for me for NPP 0.4.1 so it is by no means
> perfect.

The memory has been really helpful- I've never played NPP before, and
it's nice to not have to learn about the new monsters (the new Ogres
are pretty tough) through trial and error. Does it hold out all the way
to the end?

Tagore Smith

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Tagore Smith wrote:
> The small
> levels are murder

But lots of fun.

> Also, are some staples (like arrows and ?WoR) a bit less common in
> shops in NPP, or is this the RNG messing with me? My current Priest was
> dropping nice and quickly (had gone to 1950 in about 20000 additional
> turns) when he ran out of WoR (though he bought out what he saw). It
> took around 150k turns of town scumming to get 6 new ones, and I am
> about to run out again, if the store doesn't restock on my next trip
> (I'm going to buy out everything I can before I leave).

I had this problem too. Rather than scumming, I just took the stairs
to 1400' and back - detect stairs, teleport if no down shafts nearby,
magic map to get to the shaft quickly, repeat. I'm not sure about the
number of turns vs scumming, but it was certainly less irritating to
play. Still no ?WoR, so did it again for the next quest at 1500'. I
guess 1950' might be getting a bit much, though.

> Does that mean I can turn on merge discounts?

I have.

> The memory has been really helpful- I've never played NPP before, and
> it's nice to not have to learn about the new monsters (the new Ogres
> are pretty tough) through trial and error. Does it hold out all the way
> to the end?

I suspect so - check out the diamond golem :/

Nick.

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Cliff Stamp <sstamp@physics.mun.ca> writes:
>
> >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Eddie Grove wrote:

> I'm interested in whether it is possible to win with a
> priest in 500K game turns. Or even 600K.
>
> I'm interested in advanced strategies... <snip>

I can't offer anything in the way of advanced strategies for Priests,
as I don't play them much- I'm more of a warrior type, and I doubt that
there is anyone who can give you much in the way of advanced advice for
warrior types.

As for the turn count though... I'm begining to think that it might be
possible to play a very fast game with a priest (in turns, not in
subjective time- the strat would require a lot of calculation in real
world time). My current char is high on turns cause of ?WoR woes, but I
doubt he'll win anyway- I don't really know NPP, but I gather that it
is quite different in the depths. On my next try I might try something
akin to (but less precise than) the strategy Lev Zakrevski used to win
Z so quickly. I'm not sure I have the brain power or the patience for
it, but I think it should be possible to cut some turns off the game
that way.

I don't normally play with turn count foremost in my mind- I'm
interested in fast games from a subjective perspective. My big question
is what's the shortest amount of time you can win in in terms of hours
put in in front of the computer, without being horribly abusive- and
that's a really different ballgame than the turn count measurement.

Tagore Smith

I ran the guy down to 3500, no real change in equipment. Playstyle is
basically :

-map level
-check for any interesting items
-teleport to pick them up while finding monsters to fight

I ran out of arrows for awhile, but had a decent stack of wands built up and
augmenting them with OoD lasted until I got a few few more stacks of arrows
and go hunting again for things that were weak to that ammo. Burnt a few
stacks of acid arrows before I realized I should have kept them.

I don't spend much time on a level, and just do the above and then go down,
I have not had to destruct yet, when something gnarly turns up like an AMHD
or Hydra pit I just go down. I have not seen a speed ring or similar on a
level which is dangerous yet which would warrent WoD.

Still getting only one attack per round, dex is under 18, wis is almost
maxed which is kind of funny. Hp's are 514 so I am getting to the point
where I can chance some of the breaths I am not resistant to so more things
are kill able now. Anything with evasion is unkillable. There should be
specific ammo to deal with that.

On a side note, I think I would have been faster sticking with the heavy
x-bow and bolts, as even though the offence was only half of what it is with
the bow (might/shots), the arrows are destroyed really fast which causes me
to depend more on OoD which really slows down gameplay turn wise. How much
would it cost to enchant a normal x-bow up to max in the stores, assuming
you scrolled it up to +8,+8.

I could actually play faster time wise if I keymapped resting as I would
clear more pits with dispel and OoD a lot more monsters, but the game turns
would skyrocket with all the resting. There should be amulets and rings of
*regeneration*, or at least let regeneration stack. This would be one more
attribute to try and juggle. Plus a spell of mediation/concentration which
gives a regeneration boost. One more prep spell you could use.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

TRENDING THREADS