Sign in with
Your question

Help, Random Folders in my C Drive

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2013 11:20:19 PM

Hi,
I dont know if this is the right place to put this, but i was wondering if you could help.
Recently i've noticed a increase in teh amount of random folders in my C drive.
For example when i open it I am overwhelmed by folders with names such as "f8gdhjf8a8304s" When i open them up inside there is a load of sub folders going from the name "1025"to "3082"
Inside those is a word document which has something to do with a microsoft website which im not allowed to enter.
Is it okay for me to delete these folders? at the moment i have 14 of them.

Thanks

More about : random folders drive

a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 11:22:05 PM

Some of them may be in reference to a Windows Update, etc. but not likely.

I would recommend running a malware scanner such as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-Spyware.
January 6, 2013 11:23:01 PM

I just ran them under a quick test, And the ones that i tested came back virus and malware free.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 11:25:08 PM

Have you done any recent updates? That is usually the cause of those cryptographic folders like that if your system is clean.
January 6, 2013 11:25:21 PM

That is your internet temp folders (I believe). Clearing it with CCleaner will get rid of them.
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 11:26:25 PM

rocknrollz said:
That is your internet temp folders (I believe). Clearing it with CCleaner will get rid of them.

Forgot about those pesky things :ouch:  ....and yes running CCleaner will get rid of them.
January 6, 2013 11:26:55 PM

Most of the time i turn my laptop off, i get a windows update:/ and thanks i'll try CCcleaner.
January 6, 2013 11:31:47 PM

I ran CCleaner, and it hasnt gotten rid of them, is there any setting within CCleaner that i should change?
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 11:44:53 PM

Hi :) 

WHICH Anti virus did you use to scan them...and please don't tell me one that begins with the letter A and is free ???

All the best Brett :) 
January 6, 2013 11:46:29 PM

Nope... unfortunately i have Norton360..... Does the job i guess.
But i dont think they are a virus, because whenever i open them, they have something to do with microsoft, for example a load of headers and logos.
January 6, 2013 11:48:21 PM

I just found a setup application in a folder, i ran it and it said it was published by microsoft.
It says;
"Software update KB2468871v2 Installation Wizard" and appears to be from Microsoft.
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 11:56:42 PM

Krenrai said:
I just found a setup application in a folder, i ran it and it said it was published by microsoft.
It says;
"Software update KB2468871v2 Installation Wizard" and appears to be from Microsoft.

If they are update folders from MS ...just delete them all...

January 6, 2013 11:58:17 PM

Okay thanks... i'll restart after.. hopefully i dont break anything
January 7, 2013 12:02:04 AM

Brett928S2 said:

WHICH Anti virus did you use to scan them...and please don't tell me one that begins with the letter A and is free ???

AVG? Avast? Aviria?
January 7, 2013 12:11:15 AM

Yep, all's worked well. nice clean C drive now, thank you. :) 
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 12:25:57 AM

bookwormsy said:
AVG? Avast? Aviria?

Lol that's them... in the Virus removing business we call them the 3 "A`s" ... and that's NOT out of respect lol...

I really shouldn't moan about them as they make me a LOT of money ...

January 7, 2013 12:35:52 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Lol that's them... in the Virus removing business we call them the 3 "A`s" ... and that's NOT out of respect lol...

I really shouldn't moan about them as they make me a LOT of money ...

What would you recommend then? Right now I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

@OP Glad to see it worked, sorry for thread jacking :D 
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 8:39:14 AM

bookwormsy said:
What would you recommend then? Right now I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

@OP Glad to see it worked, sorry for thread jacking :D 

BEST PAID = Norton Internet Security 2013

BEST FREE = MSE (nowhere near as good as Norton though)

January 7, 2013 9:01:37 AM

Most of these are updates. If the scan turns out clean, you can just simply delete them if your system allows you to do so.

Bit Defender is also a good anti-virus.
January 7, 2013 10:20:03 AM

They're just the hashes of various Windows Updates that get downloaded to the drive with the most available free space at the time.
- As Brett said above, just delete them they are not viruses.

The folder names should only contain the characters 0-9 and A-F (in lowercase) though, I assume you just mashed the keyb to type the above.
!