Help, Random Folders in my C Drive

Hi,
I dont know if this is the right place to put this, but i was wondering if you could help.
Recently i've noticed a increase in teh amount of random folders in my C drive.
For example when i open it I am overwhelmed by folders with names such as "f8gdhjf8a8304s" When i open them up inside there is a load of sub folders going from the name "1025"to "3082"
Inside those is a word document which has something to do with a microsoft website which im not allowed to enter.
Is it okay for me to delete these folders? at the moment i have 14 of them.

Thanks
21 answers Last reply
More about help random folders drive
  1. Some of them may be in reference to a Windows Update, etc. but not likely.

I would recommend running a malware scanner such as MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-Spyware.
  2. I just ran them under a quick test, And the ones that i tested came back virus and malware free.
  3. Have you done any recent updates? That is usually the cause of those cryptographic folders like that if your system is clean.
  4. That is your internet temp folders (I believe). Clearing it with CCleaner will get rid of them.
  5. rocknrollz said:
    That is your internet temp folders (I believe). Clearing it with CCleaner will get rid of them.

Forgot about those pesky things :ouch: ....and yes running CCleaner will get rid of them.
  6. Most of the time i turn my laptop off, i get a windows update:/ and thanks i'll try CCcleaner.
  7. I ran CCleaner, and it hasnt gotten rid of them, is there any setting within CCleaner that i should change?
  8. Hi :)

WHICH Anti virus did you use to scan them...and please don't tell me one that begins with the letter A and is free ???

All the best Brett :)
  9. Nope... unfortunately i have Norton360..... Does the job i guess.
    But i dont think they are a virus, because whenever i open them, they have something to do with microsoft, for example a load of headers and logos.
  10. I just found a setup application in a folder, i ran it and it said it was published by microsoft.
    It says;
    "Software update KB2468871v2 Installation Wizard" and appears to be from Microsoft.
  11. Krenrai said:
    I just found a setup application in a folder, i ran it and it said it was published by microsoft.
    It says;
    "Software update KB2468871v2 Installation Wizard" and appears to be from Microsoft.

Hi :)

If they are update folders from MS ...just delete them all...

12. Okay thanks... i'll restart after.. hopefully i dont break anything
  13. Brett928S2 said:

WHICH Anti virus did you use to scan them...and please don't tell me one that begins with the letter A and is free ???

AVG? Avast? Aviria?
  14. Yep, all's worked well. nice clean C drive now, thank you. :)
  15. bookwormsy said:
    AVG? Avast? Aviria?

Lol that's them... in the Virus removing business we call them the 3 "A`s" ... and that's NOT out of respect lol...

I really shouldn't moan about them as they make me a LOT of money ...

16. Brett928S2 said:

Lol that's them... in the Virus removing business we call them the 3 "A`s" ... and that's NOT out of respect lol...

I really shouldn't moan about them as they make me a LOT of money ...

What would you recommend then? Right now I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

@OP Glad to see it worked, sorry for thread jacking :D
  17. bookwormsy said:
    What would you recommend then? Right now I use Microsoft Security Essentials.

@OP Glad to see it worked, sorry for thread jacking :D

BEST PAID = Norton Internet Security 2013

BEST FREE = MSE (nowhere near as good as Norton though)

18. Most of these are updates. If the scan turns out clean, you can just simply delete them if your system allows you to do so.

Bit Defender is also a good anti-virus.
  19. They're just the hashes of various Windows Updates that get downloaded to the drive with the most available free space at the time.
    - As Brett said above, just delete them they are not viruses.

The folder names should only contain the characters 0-9 and A-F (in lowercase) though, I assume you just mashed the keyb to type the above.
  20. Krenrai said:
    Yep, all's worked well. nice clean C drive now, thank you. :)

Hi Krenrai,

I am also facing similar issue.

Can you please elaborate what was the exact solution that worked for you?

Cheers,
    Ketan
  21. Ketan Barshikar said:
    Krenrai said:
    Yep, all's worked well. nice clean C drive now, thank you. :)

Hi Krenrai,

I am also facing similar issue.

Can you please elaborate what was the exact solution that worked for you?

Cheers,
    Ketan

He deleted the folders with the names containing 0-9 and A-F characters.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7