Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wondering if I should buy a new headset

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 7, 2012 11:56:21 PM

So I was checking out new headsets but I didn't really see anything that caught my eye (is in an apparent upgrade over what I have currently, which is a Plantronics gamecom 367. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

But with a new more expensive headset I would need a sound card right? I'm using onboard sound right now.

Motherboard is an ASRock A780LM-S if that helps determining I need an addon card. I would prefer a PCI-e card as I do have a 6870 in it and if its pci it would just restrict airflow which I do not want to do.

My budget is 100 bucks for the headset + soundcard together

Link to mobo I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Obviously I could just buy stuff with the best reviews etc but I thought you guys would know better than a newegg review :) 

Main complaint with current headset is there is no base, I guess I could just add a subwoofer and do it that way... What do you guys think?

More about : wondering buy headset

July 8, 2012 3:55:00 AM

Here are a few things to consider.

There are many headsets out there (most of the 5.1 and 7.1 ones), that have onboard software and drivers that take over for any onboard or add-on soundcard that you may have. They allow you to deal with EQ's, surround mix, and all of that stuff out of the box.

There are other headsets that do not have software, and would benefit from the amp and drivers included with an inexpensive soundcard (Xonar DG is a great option).

Regarding bass the headset you have currently has 40mm drivers, which should deliver pretty decent bass (50mm is pretty much the largest driver size you'll find ((and larger=better bass))). The best thing to do if you want more is to tweak it via an Equalizer.

I don't know what is best for you. If you want something easy and made for gaming, look into a 5.1 headset including software like the Corsair 1500 or the Razer Megalodon.

For me I went with a nice set of studio headphones (Sony MDR-V6) and a cheap soundcard which offers Dolby Headphone which mixes any stereo signal into headphone 5.1 (the Xonar DG).
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:59:28 AM

^ very nice read, I just bought a 75$ amazon gift card, and I see the 1500s on sale for 60 bucks, which I think is a pretty awesome deal. Just wondering should I get the 1500s and not be able to use a sound card or grab a 1300 and have the option to later?

I realize usb might not be the best option but I think it will provide better sound quality (then the 1300) as it is there flagship model? maybe? Dunno probably gonna go with it anyways.

With my headset there is a bit of bass but its unnoticable amongst the other things going on its very very "flat" sounding and I can't even tell is there 99% of the times (not sure if thats the proper term)(when it should be such as with an explosion)

Other users have experienced this aswell, check the reviews and its all you see. Though for 30 bucks it has served me well.

Edit: Placed the order for the 1500s just so I wouldn't miss the deal if it is a good choice.

I am reading a lot of positive reviews, I know sound is subjective but how much better do you think sound will sound with the new headset :3
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 6:37:21 AM

Derp meant to hit edit instead of reply.
m
l

Best solution

July 8, 2012 12:10:14 PM

Personally I have not used it, however like you I have heard good things, and Tom's Hardware seems to agree.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/surround-sound-head...

I don't think the lack of a soundcard will be an issue as it includes it's own amp and good software, and the huge 50mm drivers will hopefully solve your bass issues.

Should be a solid choice, and at that price its a great deal.
July 8, 2012 1:14:31 PM

Wow yeah, nice review, I started at where you linked and actually managed to stay interested long enough to read the entire thing :o 

Thank you, you really reassured me and I am now looking forward to this headset :) 

Side note, when I told my father of my purchase he laughed at me, though I rationalized with him that a new game costs 60 bucks and these headsets are going to last me longer than any single game will.

But yes thanks man <3
m
l
July 8, 2012 1:14:35 PM

Best answer selected by mouse24.
m
l
!