Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Feature Idea for Angband: Character Autojournalling

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:53:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

One thing I've noticed in YAWPs is that players often inscribe the
history of the items they carry - for example Ringil {Baphomet 1800'}.
It got me to thinking that often I'll look back at a character and not
remember much of his/her history...sure, he's got Ringil or Calris or
whatever at the win/death dump, but I won't remember that great Sling
of Power he found at 50' that carried him through the early game or the
great luck in finding a Dagger of Extra Blows at 500'.

I'm wondering...could we add a "character journal" to Angband? This
would be something autogenerated, and updated when the character level
changes. I'm thinking it would either be appended to the savefile, or
written to a separate log file. It would be a mini-dump snapshot of
each character level.

Perhaps something like this, one entry for each level (ignore the
numbers - they're just examples):

== Character Level 30 (Guide) ==
XP : 190153 STR: 18/41 Top Unique Killed : Boern, the
Shape-Changer
HP : 270 INT: 18/40 Current Depth : 1250'
SP : 40 WIS: 18/137 Max Depth : 1200'
AU : 97,123 DEX: 18/20 Turns : 3123123
UK : 28 CON: 18/147
AI : 17 CHR: 18/90

Equipment:
a Dagger of Lightning (1d4) (+6,+11) {10% off}
a Short Bow of Extra Shots (x2) (+14,+8) (+1)
a Fluorite Ring of Speed (+8)
a Rhodonite Ring of See Invisible
a Copper Amulet of Devotion (+3)
The Phial of Galadriel
The Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (-1) [11,+25] (+3)
a Cloak of Stealth [1,+15] (+1 to stealth)
a Large Leather Shield of Resistance [4,+9]
The Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+12] (+3)
The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach' [2,+14]
The Pair of Soft Leather Boots 'Dal-i-thalion' [2,+14] (+5)

(Where UK is Uniques Killer, AI is Artifacts Identified). Or in a more
dense paragraph:

== Character Level 30 (Guide) ==
You reached character level 30 while at 1200' (max depth 1250') on turn
3,123,123 with 190153 experience points, while wielding a Dagger of
Lightning (1d4) (+6, +11) and a Short Bow of Extra Shots (x2) (+14,
+8). On your left hand you wore a Flourite Ring of Speed (+8) and on
your right, a Rhodonite Ring of See Invisible. Around your neck, you
carried a Copper Amulet of Devotion (+3). Your light source was the
Phial of Galadriel. On your body was the Leather Scale Mail
'Thalkettoh' (-1) [11,+25] and about it was a Cloak of Stealth [1,+15]
(+1 to stealth). On your arm rode a Large Leather Shield of Resistance
[4,+9]. Your head was protected by the Metal Cap of Thengel [3,+12]
(+3). On your hands and feet were the Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach'
[2,+14] and the Pair of Soft Leather Botos 'Dail-i-thalion' [2,+15]
respectively. You had dispatched 28 uniques (most powerful: Boern, the
Shape-Changer), identified 17 artifacts, and your stats were STR-18/91,
INT-18/41, WIS-18/40, DEX-18/137, CON-18/20, CHR-18/147, with 270 hit
points and 40 spell points. You had 97,123 AU and your title was
Guide.

Or perhaps as a matrix:


clvl Turn XP Depth/Max UK AI Wielding/Shooting

2 2000 8 50'/50' 0 0 a Broad Sword (2d5) (+0,
+0)
a Sling (x2) (+0, +0)

3 12,123 16 100'/150' 1 1 The Dagger 'Narthanc'
(2d4) (+4, +6)
a Sling (x2) (+0, +0)


....though I like the other formats better.

A couple additional thoughts:

(a) perhaps writing to the journal should be triggered by the turn
counter rather than by level, since characters stay at level 50 for a
while, and sometimes a lot can happen between the high forties levels.
It would have to be a sort of mixed scale - perhaps every level change
up to 100,000 turns and then every 100,000 turns after that.

(b) it would be nice to include where each item was obtained, i.e., The
Phial of Galadriel {Floor 450'}. Unfortunately, it's not just artifacts
- some of the key ego items (e.g., Rings of Speed) can be
game-changers.

(c) There are other ways to take this idea. We could do some kind of
power graph (some equation that shows aggregate character power,
factoring in speed and gear), progress graph (factoring in uniques and
depth), etc.

What think ye?

-Drew
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:25:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Draco18s <draco18s_DOES_NOT@LIKE_SPAM_hotmail.com> writes:

> In article <1123088003.250877.72170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> andrew.fabbro@gmail.com says...
>> One thing I've noticed in YAWPs is that players often inscribe the
>> history of the items they carry - for example Ringil {Baphomet 1800'}.
>> It got me to thinking that often I'll look back at a character and not
>> remember much of his/her history...sure, he's got Ringil or Calris or
>> whatever at the win/death dump, but I won't remember that great Sling
>> of Power he found at 50' that carried him through the early game or the
>> great luck in finding a Dagger of Extra Blows at 500'.
>>
>> I'm wondering...could we add a "character journal" to Angband? This
>> would be something autogenerated, and updated when the character level
>> changes. I'm thinking it would either be appended to the savefile, or
>> written to a separate log file. It would be a mini-dump snapshot of
>> each character level.
>
> <snippies>
>
> Sounds like an interesting idea. I think that it would be well done even if
> it was just a list of events. Say you pick up an unidentified artifact, the
> game would know what it was and could write that to the file ("[player]
> found an artifact [type] at [dungeon level]" or "[player] found a [item] at
> [dungeon level], it looks powerful.") It could also keep track of when you
> stop using an item (because it's destroyed, sold, etc.), how many kills/etc.
> with it...
>
> I don't know if it should be updated each level or after so many steps
> (maybe the "kills/etc. made with [item]"), but the items
> acquired/lost/identified/etc. should be updated as soon as one of those
> events occurs.

I think there is a simple solution that covers most of this. Forget
about dumps by level(*). Instead, keep a bit for each item that
remembers whether it has been wielded while identified, and report
each one in a logfile or the char dump or whereever. It would not be
a difficult mod.

(*) Personally, I save a 'C' 'f' dump before each recall to the
dungeon when I care to keep track of the history, and rename
Charname.txt to Charname.recallLevel.gameturn. I suppose that process
could be automated.


Eddie
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:05:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Draco18s <draco18s_DOES_NOT@LIKE_SPAM_hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > In article <1123088003.250877.72170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > andrew.fabbro@gmail.com says...
> >> One thing I've noticed in YAWPs is that players often inscribe the
> >> history of the items they carry - for example Ringil {Baphomet 1800'}.
> >> It got me to thinking that often I'll look back at a character and not
> >> remember much of his/her history...sure, he's got Ringil or Calris or
> >> whatever at the win/death dump, but I won't remember that great Sling
> >> of Power he found at 50' that carried him through the early game or the
> >> great luck in finding a Dagger of Extra Blows at 500'.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering...could we add a "character journal" to Angband? This
> >> would be something autogenerated, and updated when the character level
> >> changes. I'm thinking it would either be appended to the savefile, or
> >> written to a separate log file. It would be a mini-dump snapshot of
> >> each character level.
> >
> > <snippies>
> >
> > Sounds like an interesting idea. I think that it would be well done even if
> > it was just a list of events. Say you pick up an unidentified artifact, the
> > game would know what it was and could write that to the file ("[player]
> > found an artifact [type] at [dungeon level]" or "[player] found a [item] at
> > [dungeon level], it looks powerful.") It could also keep track of when you
> > stop using an item (because it's destroyed, sold, etc.), how many kills/etc.
> > with it...
> >
> > I don't know if it should be updated each level or after so many steps
> > (maybe the "kills/etc. made with [item]"), but the items
> > acquired/lost/identified/etc. should be updated as soon as one of those
> > events occurs.
>
> I think there is a simple solution that covers most of this. Forget
> about dumps by level(*). Instead, keep a bit for each item that
> remembers whether it has been wielded while identified, and report
> each one in a logfile or the char dump or whereever. It would not be
> a difficult mod.

Not only wieldedthough, I think (though that would be useful to show a
record of what ytou were using at what points). Seems to me that it
should remember identified items whether wielded or not, if they are
significant- of course if you never wield something, maybe it's not too
significant, but I like a record of what artifacts I found, and how,
even if they are things like Elvagil, which I can't recall finding
early enough to want to use.

It would also be nice to be able to mark items as significant, so that
they get journalled when they otherwise wouldn't- a ring of speed, an
early dungeon book, etc. For that to work the savefile would have to
carry around information about pretty much every item the character
possesses, until it was disposed of, if never marked, but the savefiles
are really small even on ancient architectures (even compared to floppy
capacity), and there aren't that many slots.

> (*) Personally, I save a 'C' 'f' dump before each recall to the
> dungeon when I care to keep track of the history, and rename
> Charname.txt to Charname.recallLevel.gameturn. I suppose that process
> could be automated.

An automated snapshot facility would be nice too (I do more or less the
same thing sometimes, though I tend to do it at significant points,
whether in town or in the dungeon). It serves a somewhat different
purpose though- the dumps don't have a record of events. One thing that
is related to the journalling, but a bit distinct is a feature that I
think some variants have (TOME maybe?)- they remember where you got
something, so that when you finally ID a really nice piece of gear the
game can tell you where you got it. I sometimes don't remember,
particularly if I'm carrying around a couple of the same thing waiting
for pseudo-ID. Or if I kill a lot of summoned creatures along with the
summoner. I got something nice from either an Enchantress, or something
she summoned, recently- dunno which though. Likewise a Greater Basilisk
in a vault (in V)- not sure if the Basilisk dropped it or was justr on
top of it. Knowing that kind of thing helps to build intuition about
what is worth doing.

Tagore Smith
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:55:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

ToME already has somethign similar to wat you suggest - an Auto-notes option.
Whenever notable things happen (chracter level reached, unique killed, dungeon
level descended, artifact identified, amnogst others IIRC) they are
automatically written to your nites directory. Check it out and see if it
approaches what you're after. I'm sure someone could post an extract from an
exisiting example of their own to illustrate the point better. I would do so
myself only I am not at present at a computer with ToME installed.

You might also b aware of the different put interesting a nd related feature
which reveals where certain items were found. This occur in Ey and ToME to name
two. I think Heng has it and I'm sure some others. It's noticeable when
equipment is inspected and in character dumps to.

--
fearoffours
Martin Hatfield

Gu(2.2.3) C Nyl MeWM(A) L:24 DL:850' A/+ R/+ !Sp w:Sabre (Holy Avenger) (1d7)
(+7,+7) [+4] (+2)
Gu/To W/MP H- D- c-- f PV+ s TT? d--@ P++ M+
C- S+/++ I++ So B- ac@ GHB-/+ SQ+ RQ++ V+++ F:Lua implementation more like ToME
!