dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I heard that AMD chips can overheat easier. I am running a 1.2GHz AMD w/certified 1.2 heatsink/fan and normal case ventilation. I am NOT overclocked or anything.
If I leave my computer on all the time (all day, all night... 24-7) will I run a risk of overheating the chip? I used to leave my intel on all day but I heard some people say stuff about AMDs overheating easier. Is this only if you are overclocked? Is it safe to leave my new AMD computer on 24-7 without running any risk of the chip overheating or something?

G

The only risk of overheating comes from insufficient cooling of the CPU and Case. If you leave a 1.2Ghz on all day it will not overheat as long as your heatsink is able to keep the temperature within specs, and at idle it should not be a problem, unless you have SETI running, which as we all know puts a good load on the CPU making it run hot! What are you temps, and have you had a thermal shutdown yet? My next question is this, do you need to leave your computer running all day, do you live in California? Are you part of the power problem in Cali?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
well i am not overclocked, i have standard case cooling, and i have a good heatsink/fan combo on my processor. Basically i just want to know if AMDs run risk of overheating when running standardly (not oc'ed) if I leave it on 24-7. I would think it wouldn't - companies leave comps on all day, and i have always left my intels on w/out problem. Will I be able to do this w/AMD or will it overheat, or are the overheat problems i hear everyone talking about only apply if you try oc'ing.
Again, standard heatsink and case cooling is all certified for use with my stuff.

Also I leave comp on all night because I use it as an alarm clock to play an MP3 for wake-up, I like to access it at different times to check email and the like, plus I just like to leave it on, darnit! :)

ALSO, so overheating problems w/AMD are in general or only when OC'ing??

G

You should have problems if the components you chose, or are using, are certified then you should be OK. Overheating can occur in non-overclocked situtations as well, just more prevelant in overclocked situations. Anytime the average room temp climbs too high, or a fan quits inside the computer, you run the risk of overheating. The thing with most business PC's running all day is that they normally use low speed fans to have them last longer, use massive heatsinks for redundant cooling, normally without the aid of a fan mounted directly to the heatsink, and use of only the minimal wattage power supply to feed the system. So, if you intend to have your computer, a home built system, then you need to check it from time to time to assure all components are keeping up, fans working good with no noise emitted from them, and keep the dust level down. This will assure your computer runs good for a long time and does not die of overheating. You may want to look into purchasing high quality fans, as you don't want a fan failing when you are not home. Remember, most OEM PC's only have one or two fans, as the system was designed and tested to stay cool with minimal additions!

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
What about if I leave a Pentium III w/standard cooling on all day is that more stable/unlikely to overheat than an AMD or is it about the same?

G

As long as your temps are normal when you are using the computer - the only way I can see it overheating when you leave it on 24/7 is if your cooling fails.

The Pentium III processors have tehcnology where if the processor gets too hot the processor will shut itself down. The AMD Athlon doesn't have this feature.

G

Not necessarily, I had an old AMD system for about 3 years. I remember I used to leave it on all day long. Sometimes I left it all night long too, downloading files of the 'net. I don't even remember if the HS/F was good quality or not. But now the tendency with new AMD processors is to run hotter compared to Petium processors, but as long as you have a good quality and certified HS/F you probably shouldn't run into any problems.

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I run my Athlon 800 with a stock hsf combo running SETI@home and Unreal tournament at the same time. The hottest it ever got was 52C so you should have no problem.

T-Bird 800Mhz
2X IBM 75GXP 30GB in RAID0 config
Geforce2 32MB
SB Live