Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help deciding W7 version for netbook

Last response: in Windows 7
January 7, 2013 12:25:00 AM

I'm looking to install W7 on my moms netbook. It's an HP Mini 210-2100. Intel atom 1.5 GHz. 1Gb ram.
Which version of W7 is the best bet for a smooth running system?
January 7, 2013 12:42:46 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium is the most popular, however I want to point something out. The system requirements for Windows 7 are only just met by the laptop, I personally would not install Windows 7 on the machine, it will probably run rather poorly.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/products/sy...
m
l
January 7, 2013 1:57:32 AM

warhead0 said:
Windows 7 Home Premium is the most popular, however I want to point something out. The system requirements for Windows 7 are only just met by the laptop, I personally would not install Windows 7 on the machine, it will probably run rather poorly.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/products/sy...

In your opinion, what do you think is the best choice?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 7, 2013 2:07:06 AM

It's a bad idea to install Windows 7 on those kinds of hardware. It will only install 32 bit of windows 7, which you will have some limitations on softwares. 64 bit versions of windows 7 will required 2GB of RAM. For your mom 's netbook's specs, I suggest install Windows XP, if you already have it so, stay with it. With Windows 7 installing on that netbook, even if it works, the computer will lag. I don't think anyone here, likes lag. Windows XP will stay supported for about another year or so, if you have Service Pack 3 of Windows XP installed. So don't worry about not receiving updates. Just stay with Windows XP.
January 7, 2013 2:46:23 AM

ipwn3r456 said:
It's a bad idea to install Windows 7 on those kinds of hardware. It will only install 32 bit of windows 7, which you will have some limitations on softwares. 64 bit versions of windows 7 will required 2GB of RAM. For your mom 's netbook's specs, I suggest install Windows XP, if you already have it so, stay with it. With Windows 7 installing on that netbook, even if it works, the computer will lag. I don't think anyone here, likes lag. Windows XP will stay supported for about another year or so, if you have Service Pack 3 of Windows XP installed. So don't worry about not receiving updates. Just stay with Windows XP.

Sounds good to me, appreciate it!
m
l
January 7, 2013 2:46:50 AM

Best answer selected by cpuNewbian.
m
l
!