[Z2.4.0] Sorcery and chaos node quests

I'm getting back to this game after years by shamelessly save scumming (hate
to admit but I simply don't remember what's dangerous and what qests I can
tackle any more) in hopes to be back playing fair soon (probably the latest
version then).

I was just experimenting with the sorcery and chaos node quests. I remember
completing at least sorcery node repeatedly back when I was playing last
time and quickly developed a sure way to clean it with relatively green
spectre mage which was my character of choice always (take out all evil
monsters, create a short ASC on the bottom half of screen, wake sky drakes
one at a time with a ball spell and stand in the wall at the end of ASC
wearing amulet of anti teleportation and blasting doom bolts and retreating
whenever rest is needed).

After that I went to research ways to clean chaos node sure that it'd be as
easy but found out that instead of walls there are mountains that I cannot
fade through or dig. That's probably why I don't remember completing it. I
cannot for my life think of how a character could clean a place like that,
those wyrms keep summoning ancient dragons to no end in that open space.
Near infinite amount or restore mana and GOI maybe, or am I missing
something here?

"Pekka" <none@nowehere.com> wrote in message
> [chaos node]

Yeah, it's a tough one. But in 2.4.0 you will also become extremely
powerful. Remember that (these) quests should be tough, since they are
guaranteed drops of usually very good items. I remember finishing the
chaos node quest several times, with various warrior classes by simply
ploughing through it with all the immunities.

Ho hum...

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message

> "Pekka" <none@nowehere.com> wrote in message
> > [chaos node]
>
> Yeah, it's a tough one. But in 2.4.0 you will also become extremely
> powerful. Remember that (these) quests should be tough, since they are
> guaranteed drops of usually very good items. I remember finishing the
> chaos node quest several times, with various warrior classes by simply
> ploughing through it with all the immunities.
>
> Ho hum...

You get the best spellbooks for those magic schools from the nodes so the
prizes are good. From sorcery node I also got JoJ and ring of speed +7 so no
complaints...

What is it that made 2.4.0 characters so powerful in contrast to the later
versions?

> "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pekka" <none@nowehere.com> wrote in message
>> > [chaos node]
>>
>> Yeah, it's a tough one. But in 2.4.0 you will also become
>> extremely
>> powerful. Remember that (these) quests should be tough, since they
>> are
>> guaranteed drops of usually very good items. I remember finishing
>> the
>> chaos node quest several times, with various warrior classes by
>> simply
>> ploughing through it with all the immunities.
>>
>> Ho hum...
>
> You get the best spellbooks for those magic schools from the nodes so
> the
> prizes are good. From sorcery node I also got JoJ and ring of speed +7
> so no
> complaints...
>
> What is it that made 2.4.0 characters so powerful in contrast to the
> later
> versions?

Oh, nothing in particular. Characters in [Z] are simply of a higher
maximum power level relative to [V] due to the extra potential of
artifacts etc. My first Z 2.4.0 character found Werewindle at clvl
12...now that, that is an artifact. It's not even the best artifact
either.

Of course the monsters all get the same kinds of upgrades :).

--

> artifacts etc. My first Z 2.4.0 character found Werewindle at clvl
> 12...now that, that is an artifact. It's not even the best artifact
> either.

I think I've found Ww in all my Z games so far, it's really too common to be
on e of the best. I don't know if that's been balanced though...