[Z2.4.0] Chaos warriors

I was playing few short games with beastman chaos warrior and had few
questions: My first character got very lucky and got scorpion tail (3d7
poison attack) at the start of game which made it very easy to clean thieves
hideout and went up to level 6 instantly (got some augment to all stats and
chaotic main gauche and extra eyes for searching). By that time I was
unstoppable at shallow depths and went for wargs at 250'. When gaining next
level I got what I later found out to be "wrath" and all stats were reduced,
I was afraid, my armor was ruined, blasted with damage and was surrounded by
OOD monsters in corridior -> death.

First insanely strong start. Next unavoidable death (well avoidable when you
got proper staves and can use them). Was there anything I could have done to
prevent wrath? Does the armor/weapon ruining also affect ego/artifact items?
Are the chaos warriors really playable? There are many great mutations but
when you get a real nasty one and want to remove it, you are likely to lose
the good ones too (and non beastmen get terrible regeneration penalty for
many mutations).

Another not so topic was polymorph self spell. I was experimenting with that
spell and really couldn't find reason why any sane person would use it.
Changing your race is almost always bad thing because your intrinsics wont
fit your equipment anymore, if you change into more powerful race, your exp
lvel is reduced and usually you already have the best race for what you are
doing or want to finish with something like yeek for example. So what's the
point really and is anyone using it (besides savescummers that is)?

Am Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:31:36 +0300, schrieb Pekka:

> got proper staves and can use them). Was there anything I could have done to
> prevent wrath? Does the armor/weapon ruining also affect ego/artifact items?

One or two patrons don't do 'wrath' but they have other nasty effects,
so they aren't necessarily better. And their actions are completely
RNG-driven, so no way to avoid their 'rewards'. Always carry
teleport-scrolls...

And even artifacts can get blasted.i

If you don't mind spoilers look here:
http://zangband.org/Spoilers/Chaos-Patrons.aspx

> Are the chaos warriors really playable? There are many great mutations but

They are fun! And there are people that win the game with them, so you
probably just need to be prepared for everything (and maybe a bit lucky)

> Another not so topic was polymorph self spell. I was experimenting with that
> spell and really couldn't find reason why any sane person would use it.

Maybe to get back in shape after your patron says 'thou needst a new
form, mortal!' ;-)

Juergen