P3 V Xeon V Athalon Answers

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you just learning Maya or are you a pro/semi-pro?, If you're a pro/semi-pro then swing for the dual p3's or quad Xeon's and just wait for the Amd duals.

It's going to be a loooong wait bro, and then some more waiting for all the incompatibilities to be ironed out.

time=money!

G

Pro.
If you look closley at the numbers posted on the site the Athalon beats the hell out of the P3 and the Xeon. You can also buy 2 to 4 Athalon systems for the pice of one dual xeon system, never mind a quad. The Athalon/1200 runs frames at 2:51 wile a (Intergraph)P3/2*933 runs the same frame in 2:26. The catch is that The intergraph is several times more expensive, excluding the graphics card.
Anim88tor

G

if you also look closely you will see that a dual 700 p3 overclocked to 966 handily beats a single tbird @ 1200. the price for 2 700 p3's is $4 less than the amd 1200. although the dual mobo maybe about $50 extra. not arguing that it wouldn't be nice to have the dual athalon boards out now as dual 1200's would be great, but i doubt they will be out for quite a while. and i have to agree it will be even longer before all the bugs are worked out. also these benchmarks are kind of wierd. lot's of variables.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey, I'm just trying to help you out here, if you can afford to get Maya then you can afford intel duals and wait for amd duals,

I'm assuming that you're a Professional, you know "you make a living at it"

anyway, get whatever is compatable with Maya, Be it amd or Intel, single or dual.

G

Sorry dont mean to be pissy. Alot of the larger animation houses do use NT and now Linux to render on because of the price of hardware and associated OS. Most of Titanic was done on linux at Digital Domain.
We used to be told that the Xeon was the way to go but by these results It doesen't look like that is the case.The cost of some of these machines is prohibitive to everyone.If you are just getting started hardware costs are s abig problem. Even if you have 2000 processors It would be better to pay 1/2 Million than 2 million for them.A nice intergraph can be had for $12000 - $4000 for the graphics card, = $8000 Seems like you could buy a few Athalon systems for 8 grand.
Anim88tor

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intergraph is a propietary motherboard design, they use the best hardware and design to build good systems, If you notice on your list where the Zx10 lands in the mix, yep one of the fastest.

The Zx10 and Zx10-VE are now SGI product lines when Intergraph gave SGI 100 million dollars and 2 product lines in a shared product venture to open doors in sub $10,000 price range. What did Intergraph get? they got rights to develop on technologies owned by SGI/Cray in return.

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2000/july/intergraph.html

Granted the Zx10 is slot more money, but time is money when it comes to 2 mins per frame render.

That lowest athlon score is out of whack compared to other athlons on the list. Maya is not SSE2 optimized that I found. I you find the link post it please.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
So you can overclock the Intel but not the AMD? Ok, so you pay $4 more and you can overclock to 1400MHz. Same [-peep-]

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?

G

there's some overclocked amd's... and at least one of them performs worse!