Buying Windows 7 help.

TDSmile

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hello all. Me and my brother are both building some new computers really soon but we are unsure about a few things.

1. How do we go about buying Windows 7 Pro? Would it be cheaper for both of us to buy and OEM(Not sure what this is really) or just buy one full retail?
2. We are both using a Cooler Master HAF X case and is there a specific dvd-rw to look for or will any do?
3. We use wireless internet and this may be a dumb question but, don't we need to buy a network card to pick it up?

Thanks again.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/492582e9-54bb-417c-bc53-d69d71f0ef2e legal and here is proof

clean installs are and have always been legal and supported. Violating the license is not, and advising users to violate the license agreement as you have done is a violation of forum rules.

From your own link, in bright red text

"In order to use upgrade media to install Windows 7 on a blank hard drive, users must abide by the operating system's EULA, or end-user licensing agreement (download PDF). "To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from," the EULA states."

The article SPECIFICALLY AND REPEATEDLY says that what you have suggested is NOT legal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/7686-63-windows-modified-2012#t161565 .....then why is it in one of the stickies in the forum ????????????
10. I purchased an upgrade copy of Windows 7 but I want to (insert specific upgrade scenario here). Can I do it?
A: Paul Thurrott has written an excellent series of articles on doing different types of upgrades to Windows 7. They are as follows:

The sticky says

" To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from."

You cannot use upgrade software without having something to upgrade. Every single or of his scenarios is upgrading a license the user owns, not buying an upgrade to do an illegal full install with no prior license. That would not be an upgrade. This is not a hard concept.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Not a flame war. Trying to educate a user who does not know what he is talking about, can't read his own links and is advising you to do something illegal.

you need two licenses. OEM is cheaper than retail or upgrade anyway, and the normal way to go. unless you need a specific feature of pro you should really buy home premium. pros not needed for normal use like it was with xp

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
I'd go with Retail.
When you upgrade the computer, you can still keep the OS if you still favor W7 at the time (seeing on how much of a train wreck 8 was, W7's lifespan has been substantially increased), OEM's are wired to one motherboard, and one motherboard only, you can't take an OEM to a new computer, you can take Retail to a new computer.

Kiowa789

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

However USB's burnout quicker than PCI-e cards.
(Personal Experience)

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

If OEM license is locked to the MB what happens in case of MB failure?
Does M$ deactivate the license so you can reactivate it for other MB?
Or to do you have to purchase another copy?