[Q 1.0.4] YAWP, high elf ranger

Very good game,

I was a bit worried about the lack of artefacts ( first one at clevel
25 ), but the quality of that weapon was awesome, so that went ok.

Lurtz was no problem, I had a really good bow and nice set of arrows
and I had a high clevel. He dropped the robe of Radagast which gives
protection to disenchantment. All I need was to find 2 rings of speed
and more healing potions.

| 1611054| 11 | 30 | Killed Lurtz the Uruk-Hai Captain
| 1611513| 11 | 30 | Found The Cloak of Thingol
| 1611833| 11 | 30 | Found The Lochaber Axe 'Mundwine'
| 1611853| 11 | 30 | Found The Robe of Radagast
| 1611983| 11 | 30 | Found The Set of Cesti of Fingolfin
| 1612113| 11 | 30 | Found The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach'
| 1951549| 11 | 30 | Killed Maedhros, Son of Feanor
| 1956350| 11 | 30 | Killed Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings
| 1967926| 11 | 31 | Killed Ulfang the Black
| 1986240| 11 | 31 | Killed Lokkak, the Ogre Chieftain
| 1990997| 11 | 31 | Killed Khim, Son of Mim
| 1998632| 11 | 31 | Killed Angamaite of Umbar
| 2007975| 11 | 31 | Destroyed Waldern, King of Water
| 2011833| 11 | 31 | Found The Long Sword 'Elvagil'
| 4894710| 12 | 33 | Killed Saruman of Many Colours

This took me 70% of my game.

Had to scum _a lot_ to get all my money spent on healing potions and I
gave up after while. I am definitely not going to 1.0.5 where Black
Market has even weaker items ;)

Fun game, thanks Antoine !

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=4722

T.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, konijn_ wrote:

> I am definitely not going to 1.0.5 where Black
> Market has even weaker items ;)

Yeah but you get speed from dex, thus you don't need any RoS or Bos for the
final fight, and 3-4 !healing should be enough with other support
scrolls and potions for resists + melee, ref :

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=4723

Ironman, autoscum and small levels, only one small vault seen though. I
scummed Dl11 until I ran low on food/light, it was a one screen level.
I spent initial gold on food and torches for this reason.

He is a lot harder to beat now though as his summons are insanely strong and
he does more nasty things when he hits you. He would be very difficult with
a low hp mage now as the way I did it before would be impossible
(destruction+phase door heal).

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

konijn_ wrote:
> Very good game,
>
> I was a bit worried about the lack of artefacts ( first one at clevel
> 25 ), but the quality of that weapon was awesome, so that went ok.
>
> Lurtz was no problem, I had a really good bow and nice set of arrows
> and I had a high clevel. He dropped the robe of Radagast which gives
> protection to disenchantment. All I need was to find 2 rings of speed
> and more healing potions.
>
> | 1611054| 11 | 30 | Killed Lurtz the Uruk-Hai Captain
> | 1611513| 11 | 30 | Found The Cloak of Thingol
> | 1611833| 11 | 30 | Found The Lochaber Axe 'Mundwine'
> | 1611853| 11 | 30 | Found The Robe of Radagast
> | 1611983| 11 | 30 | Found The Set of Cesti of Fingolfin
> | 1612113| 11 | 30 | Found The Set of Gauntlets 'Paurhach'
> | 1951549| 11 | 30 | Killed Maedhros, Son of Feanor
> | 1956350| 11 | 30 | Killed Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings
> | 1967926| 11 | 31 | Killed Ulfang the Black
> | 1986240| 11 | 31 | Killed Lokkak, the Ogre Chieftain
> | 1990997| 11 | 31 | Killed Khim, Son of Mim
> | 1998632| 11 | 31 | Killed Angamaite of Umbar
> | 2007975| 11 | 31 | Destroyed Waldern, King of Water
> | 2011833| 11 | 31 | Found The Long Sword 'Elvagil'
> | 4894710| 12 | 33 | Killed Saruman of Many Colours
>
> This took me 70% of my game.
>

> Had to scum _a lot_ to get all my money spent on healing potions and I
> gave up after while. I am definitely not going to 1.0.5 where Black
> Market has even weaker items ;)
>
> Fun game, thanks Antoine !
>
> http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=4722

Glad you enjoyed it.

[laughs] You found the Hammer of Throt! First dump with it, I think.
Throt was a D&D character in a campaign I once ran, who has been
immortalised in this fashion.

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Cliff Stamp wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, konijn_ wrote:
>
> > I am definitely not going to 1.0.5 where Black
> > Market has even weaker items ;)
>
> Yeah but you get speed from dex, thus you don't need any RoS or Bos for the
> final fight, and 3-4 !healing should be enough with other support
> scrolls and potions for resists + melee, ref :
>
> http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=4723
>
> Ironman, autoscum and small levels, only one small vault seen though. I
> scummed Dl11 until I ran low on food/light, it was a one screen level.
> I spent initial gold on food and torches for this reason.

Nice dump - first ironman victory I've seen?

Good luck on throwing the great axe though!

> He is a lot harder to beat now though as his summons are insanely strong and
> he does more nasty things when he hits you. He would be very difficult with
> a low hp mage now as the way I did it before would be impossible
> (destruction+phase door heal).

Yeeeesss... it would be difficult with a mage. Will be interested to
see if anyone manages. Next comp maybe.

A.

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003

Cliff Stamp wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Antoine wrote:
>
> > Nice dump - first ironman victory I've seen?
>
> It took about a dozen tries, I just posted one of the closer ones who got
> very close to Lurtz. Some of them are quite short like go down stairs, land
> on DL3, take a step, go through a trap door and end up on DL5 at Cl, turn a
> corner hit a orc unique and die.
>
> Because the game is so short, trap doors are extreme as are double stairs.
> Imagine in vanilla going through a trap door and ending up 10 levels deeper.
> Do this twice and life gets really interesting, for a brief period anyway.
>
> > Yeeeesss... it would be difficult with a mage. Will be interested to
> > see if anyone manages. Next comp maybe.
>
> I am running one now, the problem is that some of his summons are possible
> insta kills and with no way to get them off the level it might be necessary
> to retreat and reset the fight, thus it could be a long process.

Which are the most problematic summons?

A.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Antoine wrote:

> Which are the most problematic summons?

High level dogs, D's that you don't have resists for, and uniques, lots of
which can be just as hard or harder such as the Balrog of Moria.