Why have adobe open type fonts quit working on Win 7 Pro 64-bit

dhover

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Up until a couple of weeks ago all of my Adobe Open Type fonts worked fine. Now I a getting a atmlib.dll error. Says it is not designed to work on Windows. Seems to have happened after a Win 7 update. Am unsure which one. Anyone have a solution? No, I do not mean

Solution
Since it works on your laptop it sounds like the file may have become corrupted or there is a registry problem with the file. Have you considered uninstalling and reinstalling?

dhover

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Ken,

Thank you for your reply. However, it it not "amtlib.dll" that is at issue. It is "ATMLIB.dll" (Adobe Type Manager Library).

No, it was not a trial version of anything. The fonts are the ones included in Illustrator CS4, Photoshop CS4, and InDesign CS2. All of the programs were purchased directly from Adobe. The platform is Windows 7, 64-bit Professional running on a custom, home built work station with two Quad Core Xeon processors, 16 Gig of RAM, etc.

Have you recently updated Adobe? amtlib.dll and AMTLIB.dll are the same thing. Capitalization makes no difference.

What has changed in the time that you were able to use OTF and when they quit working?

You are correct, Adobe Type Manager (ATM) is not compatible with Windows 7. Have you tried to run the program in compatibility mode?
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/fontinstall/instructions_english.html

"Adobe Font Manager is not compatible with Windows 7. You can try to run in Compatibility mode but not sure if that will help.

If you have an older application for Windows XP or Vista that doesn't run in Windows 7, you may be able to get it working properly by running the program in compatibility mode.
1. To begin, find the application or shortcut that is causing the problem, then right click on it and select Properties.
2. Then, select Compatibility from the tabbed menu at the top of the properties page:
3. Now, check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for..." box and select the OS you wish to emulate. For most applications, it will be Windows XP SP2. Once you are done, click OK.
4. When you next launch the application it should run under compatibility mode using the OS you selected. If it still fails to run correctly, try another OS selection in step 3 and try again.

Run the installation program in compatibility mode:

1. Right-click the installation file's icon.
2. Click Properties > Compatibility .
3. Select the compatibility mode for Windows XP.
4. Click OK .
5. Run the installation program.

After it's installed, run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode by doing the same with the installed program."
Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/is-adobe-type-manager-light-compatible-with/a8c65969-571e-4625-9008-d141dbb1ad60

dhover

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Everyone is missing the point: atmlib.dll is not the same thing as amt.dll.

Go to your window's system 32 file and look them up. You will see both if you have Photoshop or Illustrator installed.

Everything worked fine up intil about a month ago.

My last post was not regarding the amtlib.dll file. I know they are different files. You are right, you will find both in the System32 folder on a 32 bit version of Windows. On a 64 bit system the atmlib.dll file is found in the SyWOW64 folder.

dhover

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
This is from Microsoft: Known issues with this security update
•The original version of security update 2753842 had an issue related to OpenType Font (OTF) rendering in applications such as PowerPoint on affected versions of Windows. This issue was resolved in the version of this security update that was rereleased on December 20, 2012.

dhover

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

Ken, I suspect you are correct. The file has become corrupted. I suspect by a security update from Microsoft.

By the way, I have both the 64-bit and the 32-bit Photoshop CS4 installed so the atmlib.dll file is in both directories. Illustrator CS4 was only issued as a 32-bit application.

I will uninstall Ai CS4 and reinstall it to see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the tip.