Abit Bx6 version 2 with Newest Celeron and Pentium

G

I am presently the owner of an Abit Bx6 version2 motherboard with a Celeron 300A. I want to change my processor. I support both Slot-1 and the Socket 370 (with a converter). I am looking for a Celeron 800 or pentium 3 800 or 850 Mhz, all with 100 front side bus (I have only 100 mhz memory, otherwise I would try a 133mhz front side bus). I have look on the Abit website and the highest CPU supported is pentium 700 mhz. Why? In the bios, I can support X7.5, X8, X8.5 and multiplier. I want to know if I can use a Celeron 800, Pentium 3 800 or 850. And if I can, which one is the fastest? Thanks in advance.

G

There MIGHT be an issue of you using an Intel coppermine-based CPU. Look at the website for Abit. -And grab the newest BIOS-update for your board while you are there anyway. Look uop board revision numbers and supported CPU´s to see what YOUR specific board can do. Forget about getting your information from the manual. Its totally outdated by now. :)

Dont worry about the multiplier settings. The CPU´s comes with locked multpliers and you wont have a problem with that part of the upgrade.

Also... Get a different celeron than the 800. Almost all of the newer celerons in the 533A-600 range will do 800-900 with a 100MHz FSB. Do the overclocking bit, and save yourself some $$$. (Dont forget to raise the voltage)

But... If you really WANT to spend more money upgrading this old platform, the PIII is clearly the faster CPU you could choose, instead of any Celeron.
(But for 100MHz FSB it isnt really worth the extra cost IMHO)

Henrik

-The Dane In Spain-
cel600@945