Two questions: new monitor for gaming and dual-monitor setup

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hello everyone

I am in the market for a new monitor, and frankly the market is so saturated that I don't know where to begin. I don't know enough about the different technologies and jargon to really say which would be better brands or models than others, so I'm hoping you all can help me :)

My budget is around $150-$200, and I'd prefer to stay on the lower side if possible. I would like a full HD monitor with HDMI hookup. It doesn't need speakers. Primarily this will be used for gaming and everyday tasks like reading Toms Hardware. Screen size should be around 23-24" and it needs to be widescreen (do they even make non-widescreen ones these days?)

My second question is about dual-monitor setup. I currently own a 19" acer 1380x768 and I don't want to get rid of it because I'll probably hook it up to my old PC whenever I move into a larger place. My question basically is whether I can dual-screen an HD and a non-HD monitor together without any problems.

Thanks for the help!

maxxx111

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
re dual screen
I have mixed everything but the kitchen sink:
multi video cards, multi tvs and monitors, old glass TVs, to new 3D LED TVs that work with games at 1080p. Now that's a hoot!

Even ancient versions of Windows handle multi monitors easily (as does NVidia's NView software etc.)

But depends on what features you'll want beyond just an extended desktop which is trivial assuming you have the hardware ports.

Have you tried 3D gaming on a large and close 1080p wide screen monitor or TV?

Shamefully, I have to admit addiction to the realism and immersion of gaming on a single 46 inch Sony Bravia 3D TV, little more than 4 feet away on my desktop. The pixels just disappear and meet my personal max resolution of about 1.4 arc seconds. And makes a surprisingly nicely sized desktop as well with excellent text & scads of room.

Shockingly close, I know. Many other gamers are even worse with 2 side monitors, also 3D of course.

I can never go back to the real world now I guess.

MisterDings

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hi friend,

You and I are in the same boat. I'm just going to really simplify the monitor specs for you and show you the monitors I have looked at. ( my price range is about 100-150$ so feel free to go on newegg and find an even nicer one than listed)

For gaming and really anything at all I would recommend a 1920x1080p monitor. I can't stand anything less. pretty much all monitors at this definition are pretty good to excellent for gaming.(depending on the brand)

LED just means cleaner slightly better picture IMO, and slightly thinner ~an inch or so.

Response time doesn't really matter much, if its under 10 ms. I wouldn't recommend anything above 8 really but that's just me.

Contrast ratio isn't all that important either. It effects how dark blacks are and how bright whites can be.
100,000,000:1 = (1000:1) so don't be fooled and go, "Wow that big number must mean that it's better!" I would recommend between 1000:1 and 3000:1. I'm not the biggest expert on the matter but it really doesn't affect it so dramatically. Some monitors can have a really bad CR, but while browsing on newegg just look at the feedback to help you gauge how good a monitor is. And no, I don't think they make non-widescreens anymore.

As for both monitors working together I don't have much of a clue. I would think they would tho. Experiment with it and see what happens.

Links to some monitors below. I hope I didn't reply too late. Good hunting!

Samsung 23" 1080 5 ms 150$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001546

Asus 21.5" 1080 145$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100

These are just the two I am considering. Newegg.com and google are your friends. good luck.