A little guidance

G

Here is the system I am slowly gathering together, any suggestions on possible incompatibilities or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Processor: 1.2 GHz Athlon T-Bird
Mobo: Abit KT7A-Raid
HSF: still looking at them (any suggestions)
Memory: 128mb Mushkin Cas2
Hard Drives: 2 30GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP (in Raid0 config)
Video Card: (any suggestions)
Sound Card: (any suggestions)
Ethernet: 10/100 Linksys PCI
Modem: Creative Labs MOdem Blaster ISA 56kV.90
Power supply: 350 watt
Floppy: Black 1.44mb
CD-Rom: Creative Labs 52x blaster
Montior: Viewsonic E790B 19" (Black)
PC Case: Black Hydraulic Case
Kayboard: IBM Black
Mouse: Logitech Optical Mouse

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
On the hard drives, the 45GB version of your drive is $20 more (at GamePC) for 50% more space. Other specs seem to be the same...

G

I have a Hercules Prophet II vid card and love it. You should be happy with any GeForce 2 model you get from MX to Ultra. I have no Radeon experience, but I have talked to several people that love their Radeon AIW (All in Wonder). If you need video capture that sounds like a good choice without having to get an extra board. I have had an SB Live! since it was first introduced and I love it. A Live! Value would be a great choice unless you really need the extra stuff that comes with the other Live! flavors. My heatsink is a Chrome Orb, but my speed is only 700MHZ. I would sugest you get something with a little better performance for 1.2GHZ even though the orb is rated for it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Svet on 02/07/01 03:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Why not get a DDR SDRam system? Price and the amount for that increased amount of performance. I want to see how and if DDR-Ram becomes widely used (it mostly will). But I also want to see the motherboards mature more, and possibly this time next year I will be building a DDR system, but I want to see how that pans out. Thank you for your advice so far.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can appreciate waiting to see the motherboards mature more. That's one of the big things that I'm waiting for. (That, USB2 support, and QDR SDRAM video cards.)

It just seemed like you weren't too concerned with price since you're going with a 1.2GHz chip instead of overclocking a slower one and going with a RAID motherboard.

Personally, the RAID motherboards are the best things I've seen done for mobos in years. I can't wait to build a new system that can hold 8 IDE devices without needing an additional card. I don't even care about the RAID part. :)

But then I've always prefered a full tower. You never know when you might need a DVD, a CDRW, a 72x CDROM, a zip drive, and a bunch of misc. hard drives from old systems. :) And having the extra bay space after all of that for the SB Live! Platinum front panel is always cool. :)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.