[FuryMod Town Version] New Competition

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2005 11:48:30 PM

OK, here is how it goes. The new comp is going to be a bit harder than the old
one.

Version: FuryMod Town Version Latest on Site
Race: Classic High-Elf
Class: Jedi
personal prefererence
Winning: Deepest level with the highest XP.
End of Comp: October 5th

No save-scumming
You can stair scum. You may need to....

Post your dumps and progress at my forum:
http://thefury.cogia.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2#2

Or on OOOK
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:17:26 PM

The Fury wrote:
> No save-scumming
> You can stair scum. You may need to....

newbie question, what is "stair scumming"?

Also, I see "scum" and "scumming" a lot but haven't had a good
definition. I know it's one of those things that has been around
forever, but I can't seem to find a good explanation.

Thanks,
Will
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:39:42 PM

Will Shattuck wrote:
> The Fury wrote:
>
>> No save-scumming
>> You can stair scum. You may need to....
>

> newbie question, what is "stair scumming"?
>
> Also, I see "scum" and "scumming" a lot but haven't had a good
> definition. I know it's one of those things that has been around
> forever, but I can't seem to find a good explanation.
>
> Thanks,
> Will

Stair scumming is going up and down until you get a level you like.
This is often used by characters with detection spells to find monsters
they can fight or objects they can use. Or they can just be used to
find a level with the next up or down staircase close by.

Similarly, town scumming is hanging around in town and/or 50' waiting
for the stores to reset. This allows you to get just about whatever you
need to show up in the stores with very little to no risk. Also, if you
see something in town but you cannot afford it, then you could run
around the town level killing drunks and merchants to get the coin you
need for that Ring of Speed +10 in the black market. Due to the time it
can take to get money this way, however, this is often something left to
Borgs (automatic players).

In general, scumming is considered an abuse of game mechanics to the
advantage of your character. It is usually considered cheating by most
of the Angband community, on par with save file cheating.

I hope this helps.

--
Wil Hunt
Geek in training.

On 2005-09-01 21:48:30, The Fury <thefurry@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

OK, uploaded the CORRECT version of FuryMod Town Version. Old one didn't have
jedi...
September 2, 2005 6:10:10 PM

Wil Hunt wrote:
> In general, scumming is considered an abuse of game mechanics to the
> advantage of your character. It is usually considered cheating by most
> of the Angband community, on par with save file cheating.

I believe you're overstating the case here. I've been reading this
newsgroup for years and have never seen stair scumming compared to save
file cheating. To cheat with your save file you have to copy and
rename, something you can't do using any commands given to you by the
game engine. On the other hand, going up and down stairs is a required
part of the game and supported by the in game commands.

Stair and town scumming, as well as monster farming (allowing breeders
to multiply while you kill them for experience) are considered by some
to be cheesy behavior, but if you win the game using those techniques
you still get full credit.

Bill
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:39:36 PM

Bill wrote:

> Stair and town scumming, as well as monster farming (allowing breeders
> to multiply while you kill them for experience) are considered by some
> to be cheesy behavior, but if you win the game using those techniques
> you still get full credit.
>
> Bill

Fair enough.

--
Wil Hunt
Geek in training.
Jack of few trades, master of none.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 8:40:04 PM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Will Shattuck wrote:

> newbie question, what is "stair scumming"?

Bouncing up and down on connected stairs to get the levels you want.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:50:39 AM

Wil Hunt wrote:
<snipped lots of info on scumming>

> I hope this helps.

YES!! Thanks a lot. Gotta love usenet :)

Will
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:50:07 PM

Ok, so I'm trying to play this game :)  I turn on Ironman rooms, Small
Levels was already on. So I gear up and head down. Come to rubble, no
problem, take out the shovel and dig. Kewl. keep moving. Hit dead end.
No problem, turn around. Hit rubble, dig, kewl. Keep going. Hit dead
end. Dig wall (i know it's not going to work but do it anyway) no good.
Jedi mind powers ... see lots creatures. No way to get to them.

Interesting Mod. Can't even go down past Level one :)

What am I doing wrong? It has been a LOOONG time since I played TOME or
a TOME variant.

Thanks for any help.

Willl

The Fury wrote:
> OK, here is how it goes. The new comp is going to be a bit harder than the old
> one.
>
> Version: FuryMod Town Version Latest on Site
> Race: Classic High-Elf
> Class: Jedi
> personal prefererence
> Winning: Deepest level with the highest XP.
> End of Comp: October 5th
>
> No save-scumming
> You can stair scum. You may need to....
>
> Post your dumps and progress at my forum:
> http://thefury.cogia.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2#2
>
> Or on OOOK
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:17:13 AM

On 2005-09-03 22:50:07, Will Shattuck <willshattuck.nospam@nospam.gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok, so I'm trying to play this game :)  I turn on Ironman rooms, Small
> Levels was already on. So I gear up and head down. Come to rubble, no
> problem, take out the shovel and dig. Kewl. keep moving. Hit dead end.
> No problem, turn around. Hit rubble, dig, kewl. Keep going. Hit dead
> end. Dig wall (i know it's not going to work but do it anyway) no good.
> Jedi mind powers ... see lots creatures. No way to get to them.
>
> Interesting Mod. Can't even go down past Level one :)
>
> What am I doing wrong? It has been a LOOONG time since I played TOME or
> a TOME variant.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Willl

Ironman rooms makes almost all the rooms vaults. You have to dig around the perm
rock and find the granite wall that allows you to enter.
!