[ToME] Trouble playing on Acer laptop

Hi, I've been playing Pern/ToME for years. I just bought a new Acer
Aspire 5000 notebook and was looking forward to playing in the car, on
vacation, pretty much whenever I wanted to. I have the latest version,
232, and can't play it normally.

The problems are (so far): #1) No light from torches or lanterns. I'm
playing a Vampire and am not emmiting any light either. #2) The player
moves erratically, or so it seems; sometimes there are two of me. Using
'Highlite player with cursor' shows where I'm supposed to be, but the'@'
is sometimes a space or two away.

I've just started and can't get very far this way. I don't know if
anything else is wrong. I don't know if it matters but this has an AMD
Turion 64 processor.

At least everything works fine on my desktop system!

--
</TAZZ>
4 answers Last reply

    Tazz wrote:
    > Hi, I've been playing Pern/ToME for years. I just bought a new Acer
    > Aspire 5000 notebook and was looking forward to playing in the car, on
    > vacation, pretty much whenever I wanted to. I have the latest version,
    > 232, and can't play it normally.
    >
    > The problems are (so far): #1) No light from torches or lanterns. I'm
    > playing a Vampire and am not emmiting any light either. #2) The player
    > moves erratically, or so it seems; sometimes there are two of me. Using
    > 'Highlite player with cursor' shows where I'm supposed to be, but the'@'
    > is sometimes a space or two away.
    >
    > I've just started and can't get very far this way. I don't know if
    > anything else is wrong. I don't know if it matters but this has an AMD
    > Turion 64 processor.
    >
    > At least everything works fine on my desktop system!

    It sounds to me like you need to turn on bizzare display from the menu.
    I forget which menu it is, though...

    --
    Wil Hunt
    Geek in training.

    Wil Hunt wrote:
    > Tazz wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I've been playing Pern/ToME for years. I just bought a new Acer
    >> Aspire 5000 notebook and was looking forward to playing in the car, on
    >> vacation, pretty much whenever I wanted to. I have the latest version,
    >> 232, and can't play it normally.
    >>
    >> The problems are (so far): #1) No light from torches or lanterns. I'm
    >> playing a Vampire and am not emmiting any light either. #2) The player
    >> moves erratically, or so it seems; sometimes there are two of me.
    >> Using 'Highlite player with cursor' shows where I'm supposed to be,
    >> but the'@' is sometimes a space or two away.
    >>
    >> I've just started and can't get very far this way. I don't know if
    >> anything else is wrong. I don't know if it matters but this has an AMD
    >> Turion 64 processor.
    >>
    >> At least everything works fine on my desktop system!
    >>

    > It sounds to me like you need to turn on bizzare display from the menu.
    > I forget which menu it is, though...

    Thanks, that fixed the #2 problem. Now I'm going to play around a little
    more to ty to fix problem #1.

    My screen resolution is 1280x800. I just tried it at 1024x768 and it was
    the same thing, no light.

    --
    </TAZZ>
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Tazz wrote:
    > Thanks, that fixed the #2 problem. Now I'm going to play around a little
    > more to ty to fix problem #1.
    >
    > My screen resolution is 1280x800. I just tried it at 1024x768 and it was
    > the same thing, no light.

    This might have to do with the fact that in Windows the lighted ground
    looks the same as the unlighted ground by default. There is a way to
    edit one of the pref files to get lighted areas to show dots as most of
    us are used to. Check the ToME forums for that one.

    Also, you can set the option to use special colors for lighted areas.
    This might help to determine that you are indeed lighting things, but
    there is just nothing to see.

    --
    Wil Hunt
    Geek in training.
    Jack of few trades, master of none.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Wil Hunt wrote:
    > Tazz wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, that fixed the #2 problem. Now I'm going to play around a
    >> little more to ty to fix problem #1.
    >>
    >> My screen resolution is 1280x800. I just tried it at 1024x768 and it
    >> was the same thing, no light.
    >>

    > This might have to do with the fact that in Windows the lighted ground
    > looks the same as the unlighted ground by default. There is a way to
    > edit one of the pref files to get lighted areas to show dots as most of
    > us are used to. Check the ToME forums for that one.
    >
    > Also, you can set the option to use special colors for lighted areas.
    > This might help to determine that you are indeed lighting things, but
    > there is just nothing to see.

    Thanks for that, I never even thought of looking through the fourms. I
    followed someones advice and re-named the font-win pref file and now the
    game is playable. I'll spend some time looking through the fourms later.

    Thanks again.

    --
    </TAZZ>

Acer Video Games