2 defective hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelnut53

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
How common if at all is it to get 2 hard drives and both are defective certified from the manufacturer . I saw what I thought was a great deal on a 500 gb Seagate HDD . when the first one didn't work I said OK stuff happens when the second one failed I got in touch with Seagate they had me go through a few diagnostics . when I told them the drive was not even making any noise just dimming my system and preventing a boot up the verdict was in . my problem is I already have a Seagate 250 gb chugging away , I would like to stay with the brand but my loyalty only goes so far . I heard WD has pretty good Hard drives :sarcastic:

Solution
Automated assembly is great, and produces parts in large quantities at low cost. But when one (or more) component is defective, the entire batch is defective.

Western Digital as well as Seagate are both reliable drives. I have both brands running quite well for over a year.
Automated assembly is great, and produces parts in large quantities at low cost. But when one (or more) component is defective, the entire batch is defective.

Western Digital as well as Seagate are both reliable drives. I have both brands running quite well for over a year.

Solution
i used to be able to say the same as ubrales (my old WD is over 6 years old and still works) however i've had newer 1.5TB caviar blacks die on me. i bought two for raid, one died within 8 months. my replacement came, that died within 1 week, my last one went about a month later. it seems that you cannot trust any HD manufacturer anymore.

I read somewhere that all the HDD manufacturers are having trouble with drives over 1TB. Maybe they are still refining the design and manufacturing. DFMEA and FMEA don't always catch every aspect of new (or newer) products. Just look at the automotive industry!

ubrales, although i agree that the problem could be limited to drives above 1TB (as people weren't reporting any issues with the 1TB drive), they were finished products that were availalbe on the market (for quite some time i might add) so there is zero reason for such failures to happen. the trouble is that these companies don't care about quality anymore and just throw drives at you when you RMA (although you ship to them at your expense!!!) which is better than not backing the drives at all. I spent about $220 for the two drives a year ago, i've already spent $15-20 sending them back total. I understand that the people at ups need to eat too but this is rediculous.

OP: if you go WD stay away from the 1.5TB ! or better yet, go to a local store like microcenter that offers in-store replacements if they go bad for like $5. paying that $5 is better than dealing with the shipping hassle!

wheelnut53

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

That's a good one about UPS needing to eat . well I blew my yearly allotment for my hobby this year not on HDD's but on a high end video card :( but that's another topic

wheelnut53

Distinguished
May 24, 2009

I wasnt really looking for a specific answer but yours was as good as the rest so I'm choosing this as the best answer . except I dont see the golden cup

Status
Not open for further replies.