I think I burned my CPU

G

I've built up a computer with an Athlon Thunderbird 800 CPU and ASUS A7V mobo. After I first built it up I ran it for about 30 minutes, deleting files off of my hard drive in prep for a clean OS install. Afterwords, I discovered that the CPU had been running for that 30 minutes at 60 deg. Celcius!

I found and fixed the heat problem, but I wound up having to replace the motherboard (for other reasons). I rebuilt the system last night. The CPU is now running at a nice 40 deg. However, I'm having problems installing the OS.

1) How likely is it that I burned my CPU by running it at 60 deg. C for about 30 minutes?

2) Is there an easy way to tell if the CPU is burned? If not, what are the usual symptoms of a burned CPU?

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is unlikely you burned your CPU at 60C. Usually you have to get up to about 80-90C to cook your CPU. If you did cook your CPU, I doubt your computer would even bootup.

<i>Its not fun AFTER you have fragged everyone.</i> :cool: James

G

You give me hope, but I must add this: it doesn't always completely boot. So far it'll post, then run config.sys without a problem. However, sometimes it hangs trying to run MSCDEX.exe. When it doesn't, sometimes it hangs running SETUP.EXE off of the CD. When it doesn't, it always hangs after SETUP.EXE finishes SCANDISK and reports that it is copying files necessary for installation to the hard drive.

Now, this could be a problem with my SCSI subsystem (I have a SCSI CDROM drive), but that subsystem hasn't given me problems before. Moreover, the number of places where it hangs makes me worried; if I were having SCSI problems I would expect it to always hang in one place, most likely when config.sys loads the driver. Finally, though I've never troubleshot a problem that turned out to be the CPU, I've got the impression that it's a lot like a bad memory chip: erratic hangs.

I'm going to try an IDE CDROM drive tonight (I'm going to borrow one from work) and see if that fixes it. Thanks for your reply.

-Ed

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is many stages of a burnt CPU, ones that do NOT posts, ones that constant reboot, ones that just plain suck and running correctly anymore (like yours).

A burnt CPU should have some discoloration, but not always discolored.

GG on having a Mobo that prevented the temp from reaching that high. but I guess that thermal problem is not really a problem huh? since all it takes is a good HSF.

I hope you realize I was being sarcastic. and that the lack of thermal protection is gonna fuc alot of people in the long run =)

WTG AMD!! woot!!

This is not VIA chimpset problem.

G

Hi
I own K6-3 450.. and these puppies are known to be HOT!
stinker runs bout 45 with my big 7" FAN goin on the side of the case. but when its not runnin. i'm gettin roughly 65C
and its fine.. for now........................
just to make ya feel better.. :)

G

Actually the athlon is designed to run up to 80C. What happens when you run a processor hot like that is that you cause minor damage. Think of it this way, if you forget to change the oil in your car right on the 3 month or 5000km, are you distroying it? After a while maybe a bit, but all it does it reduce the total life of the engine. Same thing for the processor. 30 mins @ 60C doesn't mean that your processor has any damage that is even measurable. It's like you went to 5002km or 3 months and 1 day. :)

exodux

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think its not the CPU that u burnt...did u try checking the RAM to see if it was a defect or not??? because i had the same problem not being able to install a OS due to the faulty RAM...when i took the RAM stick out it ran perfectly fine....
So try checking to see if its the RAMs faulty first...

if u already fixed this problem then never mind what i just said...

G

60C is nowhere near the maximum temp. the socketed Athlons can take. Those up to 1100MHz are rated for operation at up to 90C and the 1100 and 1200MHz pieces are rated for up to 95C. (These specs come straight from official AMD specs that are available as a PDF download on the AMD site, if anyone is curious)

People often think 60C as the "way too hot" point because that was the classic Pentium's max temp. The same cannot be said for the socketed athlons, and you did not come anywhere near "burning" your CPU.

(P.S. I have a 950MHz Thunderbird and I run at 49C idle 53C load on an A7V, if you cared)

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Oh please FUGGER, I think we are all sick and tired of your bias towards AMD, for your information, my celeron 366 sits at 55C most of the time, and its not playing up at all, but then again, you say intel dont overheat, so I guess your wrong yet again.