Sign in with
Your question

VIA + AMD = BAD

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 8, 2001 9:31:44 PM

AMD should dump VIA cause VIA sucks

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!

More about : amd bad

February 8, 2001 11:27:06 PM

<BUMP>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2001 11:42:35 PM

you intel proponents are such intellectual powerhouses i cant help but want to buy intel products.

i overclocked a p3 yesterday for the first time, but the board didnt allow for voltage modification so the o/c really sucked..a 600 running at 672....whoop-dee-doo :) 

the chip had a good core too....

i really like intel products..theyre overpriced, but i like 'em. but when i see all the retards and genetic flotsam that also like them, it really makes me stop and think......
Related resources
February 9, 2001 12:01:53 AM

Well, as far as I know you can't buy a better chipset for an AMD. I think that most would agree with me.

-MP Jesse
February 9, 2001 12:11:56 AM

I'm still not sure why everyone hates VIA so much. My A7V133 is a great board in my opinion. Someone want to explain this to me? In my eyes it seems that as time passes every big company is hated for a different reason. Pretty soon we will hate nVidia. Hey, you don't already hate them do you?

- "That's no moon, it's Rambus!"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2001 12:50:53 AM

I don't like VIA because I <i>hear</i> many people have driver problems with them, and because tests have reported poor memory performance when compared to intel bx and i8** chipsets. I have not used them myself though, so maybe the rumors are overstated and the tests don't represent real world performance.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2001 2:10:24 AM

mr_man,

yer PIII is screamin' out for more power. Deny it and suffer. But, if you choose to give that little devil some wattage, here's the ticket.

ASUS-S370-DL 'CPU converter' ($18).

I've reigned in my 600E in da business puter for months, shakin in the knees to feed it more that 103 FSB. I settled for 617MHz : | This because there's a PCI UW adapter for the Hard drive and an old ISA Adaptec in there for CD-ROM, ZIP drive, CDRW, and scanner. I'd hate the HD to suffer unrecoverable corruption.

I'm terribly conservative when it comes to checkbooks, workfiles, family records and photos, addresses, etc, so I was jes a bit scared to open her up. The slotket in that box is a cheap one without all of those voltages offered on the ASUS slotket. BUT, my ASUS PIIIB-F board has a jumper on the board to up the system voltage from 3.5 to 3.65V. I set that jumper to 3.65, set the FSB jumpers to 133FSB/33PCI/87AGP, and hit the button. And VIOLA... 800MHz and overclocked AGP :) 

OK, my checkbook doesn't need that kind of speed, but what the heck, it is free speed, and I just might need to work on some of those photos before printing them !

Point is, if you were fortunate enough to make the decision to buy a 600E instead of the 600EB, you should be able to get to 800MHz (My memory is PC100 !! lucky chips).

By the way, I have ASUS S370-DL cards in my gamer and another computer at work. The gamer is a 700E running 140FSB/35PCI/94AGP = 980MHz :)  Sweeet.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clonan on 02/08/01 11:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2001 5:04:33 AM

I can get you more power. Send me a private message and tell me the standard voltage (probably 1.65v) and if it's a Coppermine (aka FC-PGA version) and I will send you a diagram with the answer.

Suicide is painless...........
February 9, 2001 4:27:40 PM

Learn how to read, stupid. Did you see anyting about Intel in there? NO!

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 9, 2001 4:59:41 PM

mpjesse wrote:
Well, as far as I know you can't buy a better chipset for an AMD. I think that most would agree with me.

I have heard that the AMD 760 chipset is more reliable. Personally I have had pretty good luck with my new MB using the KT133a chipset. Guess I'm just lucky.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional
February 9, 2001 5:04:57 PM

Not really. It's just that the people that have troubles with the KT133 are unlucky. It's not that bad of a chipset, just way too many problems to get into the hall of fame.

----------------------
I don't hate Intel............ Do I?
February 9, 2001 11:34:00 PM

Yeah- the 760 is currently the fastest and most reliable... but VIA has yet to release their DDR chipset. I'll bet the house that VIA's DDR chipset will outperform AMD's.

-MP Jesse
February 17, 2001 3:52:43 PM

Hi,
what mobo do you have?
Is KT133A using AMD 760 chipset?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2001 4:06:01 PM

I have the Abit KT7A-RAID which uses the KT133A chipset.

John Garrett
February 18, 2001 2:59:48 AM

I read KT7A is very good better than asus k7v.
Is it good to have kt7a-raid?
As far as I know raid groups Hard disks to one logical drive letter. I don't feel it's any use, if you get a big hard disk.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2001 5:13:07 AM

I have an A7V and it runs fine.

I do have to install some things in a certain order sometimes to get them to work properly.

There do seem to be alot of posts talking about probolems with VIA boards. This could be happening just because of the mass number of people who have there boards though.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2001 12:09:59 AM

winglesslight wrote:
I read KT7A is very good better than asus k7v.
Is it good to have kt7a-raid?
As far as I know raid groups Hard disks to one logical drive letter. I don't feel it's any use, if you get a big hard disk.

The use of RAID will allow for faster disk access and possible redundancy depending on the RAID type you use. It is certainly not for everyone but it is always nice to have the option.

John Garrett
February 19, 2001 1:16:50 AM

well i might make a duron 600 system to replace my k6 266. ----I'LL USE an ALi CHIPSET---
In your face VIA

but intel chipsets are still No.1 in my mind (440bx, i815)

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!
February 19, 2001 1:26:35 AM

Do ya think VIA will have a DDR set by beginning of April? If they don't I ahve to go with the AMD 760 set.

Someday I will stop asking all the questions!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2001 2:03:44 PM

I have "heard" aboout lot's of problems with the VIA chipset second hand, but my experience with them has been excellent. I have used three different VIA based Motherboards in the past year: One Soyo Slot-A, an ABIT KT-7 RAID, and a Soyo K7VIA. Other than having to load 4 in one drivers during installation, I have had not problems. The systems have all run stable and with good performance. I'm not saying that the problems aren't real, and I'm not saying "VIA is AWESOME", but from my experience the product has performed well.
February 20, 2001 8:15:33 PM

TRAITOR!!!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone
!