Sign in with
Your question

Replacing a Logitech Trackball with a mouse

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 12, 2012 6:35:15 AM

Throughout my computing life I had primarily used a trackball (a Logitech marble trackball, probably the first gen). However, ever since I had built my new rig for new games, I had noticed how every single game seems to use a scroll wheel in an important way. For games like "Batman Arkham City" I had been able to replace that function with a keystroke. But when moving on with other games such as "Spore", I do not have such a option. Also, recently, my palm seems to slip around the trackball because of hand sweat. Is there any good mice solutions to a previous trackball user who just wants a better gaming experience? I am looking into the $60-$80 price range, and I may use some macros in the future. Lastly, I use a palm grip for my trackball. Thanks for helping out.
July 12, 2012 11:54:11 AM

well for starters trackballs are completely different than regular mice so anything you pick out is going to feel strange and alien at first. expect that.

you might be best starting out with a larger sized mouse. the razer deathadder fills this role nicely if you can get past its few quirks. other options are the logitech g series mice. you could also go with various new or offbrand items but i'd suggest no more than 2 top buttons, scroll wheel (with side to side and button) as well as possibly two side buttons. any more than that and its possibly too many buttons.
July 12, 2012 6:09:40 PM

ssddx said:
well for starters trackballs are completely different than regular mice so anything you pick out is going to feel strange and alien at first. expect that.

you might be best starting out with a larger sized mouse. the razer deathadder fills this role nicely if you can get past its few quirks. other options are the logitech g series mice. you could also go with various new or offbrand items but i'd suggest no more than 2 top buttons, scroll wheel (with side to side and button) as well as possibly two side buttons. any more than that and its possibly too many buttons.

Thanks, I heard the Death Adder was a good mouse, but what are these quirks you are talking about? Also which logitech g series mice would you recommend?
Related resources
July 13, 2012 7:18:55 AM

I think you will find moving to a mouse after many years of using a a trackball pretty annoying. I started off using a a mouse then found the Logitech trackball much easier to use, faster and more precise.

I had one of the older Logitech tracks balls. It had a big ball about the size of a cue ball. I'm guessing you have the marble trackball about the size of a golf ball.

Since Logitech discontinued the the marble mouse except maybe the side ball one, you should look at Kensington trackball. There is a good reason that many graphics designers, CAD user and etc use a trackball.

Kensington has been around for many years and make excellent products. Take a look at their website and you will see some models with a scroll ring. I use trackballs for gaming and they work very well.

Here is a link: Kensington

Happy track balling, the Prisoner.
July 13, 2012 7:31:01 AM

thee_prisoner said:
I think you will find moving to a mouse after many years of using a a trackball pretty annoying. I started off using a a mouse then found the Logitech trackball much easier to use, faster and more precise.

I had one of the older Logitech tracks balls. It had a big ball about the size of a cue ball. I'm guessing you have the marble trackball about the size of a golf ball.

Since Logitech discontinued the the marble mouse except maybe the side ball one, you should look at Kensington trackball. There is a good reason that many graphics designers, CAD user and etc use a trackball.

Kensington has been around for many years and make excellent products. Take a look at their website and you will see some models with a scroll ring. I use trackballs for gaming and they work very well.

Here is a link: Kensington

Happy track balling, the Prisoner.

Thank You for the reply. I had actually had an experience with mouses at my school so I don't have too much trouble with them. What I just want to know is what is a good one for the price. The trackballs at Kensington look good. Which one would you suggest?
July 14, 2012 7:49:17 AM

The Orbit with scroll ring is a good one to start off with. There is also a gaming trackball called the CST LaserTRAC if you want something higher end.
July 14, 2012 11:01:25 PM

thee_prisoner said:
The Orbit with scroll ring is a good one to start off with. There is also a gaming trackball called the CST LaserTRAC if you want something higher end.

Just to make sure, a scroll wheel and a scroll ring do the same thing right? I am just double checking because I never heard about scroll rings before.
July 15, 2012 10:18:19 AM

Yup, they do the same thing and I find a scroll wheel easier to use.
July 22, 2012 12:30:26 AM

Does the scroll wheel also have a third mouse button on it? I just wanted to know before I made the jump on the trackball.
August 1, 2012 4:52:28 AM

Thank you all for all of the responses. After careful consideration I chose the Logitech G500 mouse as my replacement. it works quite well and with the full weight added to it, it feels perfect. Once again thank you all for the responses.
!