Question/Possible Bug with Big Screen

Hey all..

I noticed that when Big Screen is on (-- -b) detection spells and the
like have a much larger effective area. Is there a reason for this? I
would expect that the area would be consistent independent of the size
of the dungeon currently displayed. And anything detected outside of
the current screen display could be viewed by shifting the display.

As it stands now, it's decidedly advantageous to use the big screen
support, but then I lose the convenience of having the message list also
on screen with me. (I'm using the curses console display.)

I would love to get the expanded detection radius without having to use
the big screen mode. I doubt there's a way to do this, so I thought I'd
put in a request to have it either implemented or have the detection
radius consistent with the normal smaller screen.

--
Wil Hunt
Geek in training.

bill

Wil Hunt wrote:
> Hey all..
>
> I noticed that when Big Screen is on (-- -b) detection spells and the
> like have a much larger effective area. Is there a reason for this? I
> would expect that the area would be consistent independent of the size
> of the dungeon currently displayed. And anything detected outside of
> the current screen display could be viewed by shifting the display.

No bug, it's a feature.

If you use the locate command "L" it will tell you what sector you're
in. Detection operates on the sector, not what you see on the screen.
With BigTile mode you're only seeing part of the sector at one time, so
you can have the screen scroll and still be in the same sector. To help
confuse you, the latest scrolling algorithm scrolls the screen well
before you get to the edge, so AFAIK even if you're playing with the
original no graphics, no BigTiles you still get a scroll before you get
to the sector boundary.

Bill

Wil Hunt wrote:
> Hey all..
>
> I noticed that when Big Screen is on (-- -b) detection spells and the
> like have a much larger effective area. Is there a reason for this? I
> would expect that the area would be consistent independent of the size
> of the dungeon currently displayed. And anything detected outside of
> the current screen display could be viewed by shifting the display.
>
> As it stands now, it's decidedly advantageous to use the big screen
> support, but then I lose the convenience of having the message list also
> on screen with me. (I'm using the curses console display.)
>
> I would love to get the expanded detection radius without having to use
> the big screen mode. I doubt there's a way to do this, so I thought I'd
> put in a request to have it either implemented or have the detection
> radius consistent with the normal smaller screen.

I'm not sure about vanilla, but OAngband has circular detection--the
radius is the same whether you're in a large window or a small one.

Bill wrote:
> No bug, it's a feature.
>
> If you use the locate command "L" it will tell you what sector you're
> in. Detection operates on the sector, not what you see on the screen.

Not for me. My detection spells work only on the screen (and always the
full screen, independed of BigTile), not on the sector. Is this a
compile-time option or something?

--

On 14 Sep 2005 13:38:38 -0700, "Bill" <william.peterson@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>Wil Hunt wrote:
>> Hey all..
>>
>> I noticed that when Big Screen is on (-- -b) detection spells and the
>> like have a much larger effective area. Is there a reason for this? I
>> would expect that the area would be consistent independent of the size
>> of the dungeon currently displayed. And anything detected outside of
>> the current screen display could be viewed by shifting the display.
>>

>No bug, it's a feature.
>
>If you use the locate command "L" it will tell you what sector you're
>in. Detection operates on the sector, not what you see on the screen.
>With BigTile mode you're only seeing part of the sector at one time,

So... how is that relevant to Big *Screen*, which lets you see *more*?

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:32:21 -0700, Wil Hunt wrote:

>Hey all..
>
>I noticed that when Big Screen is on (-- -b) detection spells and the
>like have a much larger effective area. Is there a reason for this? I
>would expect that the area would be consistent independent of the size
>of the dungeon currently displayed. And anything detected outside of
>the current screen display could be viewed by shifting the display.
>
>As it stands now, it's decidedly advantageous to use the big screen
>support, but then I lose the convenience of having the message list also
>on screen with me. (I'm using the curses console display.)
>
>I would love to get the expanded detection radius without having to use
>the big screen mode. I doubt there's a way to do this, so I thought I'd
>put in a request to have it either implemented or have the detection
>radius consistent with the normal smaller screen.

Hi Will,

Quite some time ago, I mailed Robert about this behaviour. He replied
that this was a deliberate choice - having the detection radius equal to
the screen size gives the player an easy way to know when he leaves the
detected area. He felt that he could only change the detecion range =
screen size rule if he included code that warns the player when he
leaves a detected area (as some variants do).

I guess I enver looked at it that way - having the autocenter option
turned on by default has forced me to use other ways to keep track of
detected and undetected areas.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> Quite some time ago, I mailed Robert about this behaviour. He replied
> that this was a deliberate choice - having the detection radius equal to
> the screen size gives the player an easy way to know when he leaves the
> detected area. He felt that he could only change the detecion range =
> screen size rule if he included code that warns the player when he
> leaves a detected area (as some variants do).
>
> I guess I enver looked at it that way - having the autocenter option
> turned on by default has forced me to use other ways to keep track of
> detected and undetected areas.
>
> Best, Hugo

It seems to me that ToMEs detection scheme works pretty well and might
be considered by Vanilla. It's a radius spell that varies based on
level. Further, there is a screen indicator to let you know when you
leave a detected area and need to redetect.