Should I keep monitor for upgrade or buy new one?

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012
I am currently in the process of building out a new computer. I already have a monitor:

Dell ST2421L 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-ST2421L-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B004IJZNHO

For my new computer I plan to purchase the GeForce GTX670 video card. Do you think this monitor will be good enough for gaming? Or do you recommend I upgrade the monitor as well? If you plan to get a different monitor which would you suggest?

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

If I were to get a bigger monitor and had a budget of $500, what monitor would you recommend?

It's already 1920x1080. You could upgrade to 2560x1440, but that's quite expensive unless you want to try a Catleap monitor. It's a TN panel, so you could look for a VA or IPS panel with similar resolution, but for gaming (rather than photo/video work), that's not critical.

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

I do work with photoshop but Im not a huge graphics designer, its mainly for cropping/editing images for web development. Also I do create videos, mainly sports highlight videos. But primary I use the computer for web development and gaming such as WOW, COD, Left For Dead 2, mainly first person shooters.

Does that change anything for a new monitor suggestion?

In that case, you might consider the Dell U2412M - some say the anti-glare coating ruins the text, but the viewing angles for e-IPS are better than TN, and I saw it listed today in the Logic Buy "Deals" post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Deals-Discount-Cheap-Electronics-Coupons-Logic-Buy,16282.html
Additionally, it's 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080, which may have some slight advantages for your described usage model.

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Thanks! do you recommend anything that is as good but bigger screen within the price range I mentioned? My wish would be in the 40 inch range.

At that size, you're looking for a TV rather than a monitor, because screens bigger than 30 inches generally don't get marketed as monitors. There are a number of 40 and 42 inch LCD TVs in your price range, but I don't know which ones are better than others. However, I found a 42 inch plasma TV for $500, albeit from a seller with no ratings on Google Shopping:
http://pcgamesi.com/panasonic-viera-s1-series-tc-p42s1-42-inch-1080p-plasma-hdtv.html
Plasma displays have much better static contrast and response time than LCD monitors, but don't be fooled by the 600hz specification - the input signal is still only 60hz; it interpolates frames when watching movies, but that can cause input lag when playing games. Fortunately, it lists a "Game Mode" which usually turns of the interpolation to minimize input lag.

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Is the quality of a tv the same as a monitor at this point?

sillysoft

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2012

Hmm wonder how a projector would work. :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your info!