Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[S] Sangband stuff (includes poll)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:38:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

I apparently chose a lousy time to delurk and release beta 18 back in July,
because RL hit me hard shortly thereafter. I'm short a father now, and it's
been no easy thing to lose him. Happens to us all, eventually.

However, I've still got some fun to spread around, and Sangband development
progresses and will continue. I apologize for my total lack of response to
emails and bugreports, but will now tackle them as I can.


contact:
Put sangband and runegold dot org together, and you reach Sangband's own
little inbox. This should (knock on wood) be a stable address, as will the
website.


"So when are you gonna fix that bug I reported?"

<<looks sheepish>>

Give me time. Email me (again) if you have a show-stopper, but let me
release beta 19 before tackling the others. Beta 19 will have some
bug-fixes (among them being the throwing reversal), but the focus has been
on a pair of major design changes:

1. Fixing monster movement clumping. I really, really think I've got this
decade-old bug nailed to the wall.
2. Upgrading to 256 colors. 'Nuff said.

--------

Gentle players and maintainers, what would you like me to do right now?

1. Fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out "I'm not sure when", but will be fairly
polished)
OR

2. Release beta 19, then fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out within a week, but is
highly experimental).
September 19, 2005 3:53:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 2005-09-19 00:38:46, "Leon Marrick" <none@invalid.org> wrote:

> I apparently chose a lousy time to delurk and release beta 18 back in July,
> because RL hit me hard shortly thereafter. I'm short a father now, and it's
> been no easy thing to lose him. Happens to us all, eventually.

Congratulations !
Hmmm...why...uh...short ?...;)...

>
> However, I've still got some fun to spread around, and Sangband development
> progresses and will continue. I apologize for my total lack of response to
> emails and bugreports, but will now tackle them as I can.
>
>
> contact:
> Put sangband and runegold dot org together, and you reach Sangband's own
> little inbox. This should (knock on wood) be a stable address, as will the
> website.
>
>
> "So when are you gonna fix that bug I reported?"
>
>
>
> Give me time. Email me (again) if you have a show-stopper, but let me
> release beta 19 before tackling the others. Beta 19 will have some
> bug-fixes (among them being the throwing reversal), but the focus has been
> on a pair of major design changes:
>
> 1. Fixing monster movement clumping. I really, really think I've got this
> decade-old bug nailed to the wall.
> 2. Upgrading to 256 colors. 'Nuff said.
>

???? Wow !!!

> --------
>
> Gentle players and maintainers, what would you like me to do right now?
>
> 1. Fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out "I'm not sure when", but will be fairly
> polished)
> OR
>
> 2. Release beta 19, then fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out within a week, but is
> highly experimental).
>
>

To be honest, I didn't encounter any critical bugs in beta 18, so option 2. The
sooner, the better...
Great news that you are back !

Cheers.
Peter
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 3:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

"Peter" <KasperskiP@acn.waw.pl> wrote in message news:D gkulb$2vv1$1@news.vol.cz...
> On 2005-09-19 00:38:46, "Leon Marrick" <none@invalid.org> wrote:
>
> > I apparently chose a lousy time to delurk and release beta 18 back in July,
> > because RL hit me hard shortly thereafter. I'm short a father now, and it's
> > been no easy thing to lose him. Happens to us all, eventually.
>
> Congratulations !
> Hmmm...why...uh...short ?...;)...

I read it as saying his has father has recently passed away.

Leon, I am sorry to hear that. My condolances to you and your family.

> 1. Fixing monster movement clumping. I really, really think I've got this
> decade-old bug nailed to the wall.

What is this bug?

> > 2. Upgrading to 256 colors. 'Nuff said.

We recently did this in NPP. What is your approach?

Thanks,


--
-Jeff


Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
http://members.cox.net/nppangband/

replace the ".spam"s with cox.net to reply
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:00:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

I'd vote for #1; I like polished releases. You could also release an
alpha, or just release a second beta 19 with bugfixes later.

On a side note, can we return to killing townsfolk? Could inaccuracy
with missile weapons be reduced? I like it, but it makes hitting with
ranged weapons very difficult.

Joshua

Leon Marrick wrote:

> I apparently chose a lousy time to delurk and release beta 18 back in July,
> because RL hit me hard shortly thereafter. I'm short a father now, and it's
> been no easy thing to lose him. Happens to us all, eventually.
>
> However, I've still got some fun to spread around, and Sangband development
> progresses and will continue. I apologize for my total lack of response to
> emails and bugreports, but will now tackle them as I can.
>
>
> contact:
> Put sangband and runegold dot org together, and you reach Sangband's own
> little inbox. This should (knock on wood) be a stable address, as will the
> website.
>
>
> "So when are you gonna fix that bug I reported?"
>
> <<looks sheepish>>
>
> Give me time. Email me (again) if you have a show-stopper, but let me
> release beta 19 before tackling the others. Beta 19 will have some
> bug-fixes (among them being the throwing reversal), but the focus has been
> on a pair of major design changes:
>
> 1. Fixing monster movement clumping. I really, really think I've got this
> decade-old bug nailed to the wall.
> 2. Upgrading to 256 colors. 'Nuff said.
>
> --------
>
> Gentle players and maintainers, what would you like me to do right now?
>
> 1. Fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out "I'm not sure when", but will be fairly
> polished)
> OR
>
> 2. Release beta 19, then fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out within a week, but is
> highly experimental).
>
>
>
>
September 19, 2005 7:27:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Welcome back (again) Leon, and I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It
hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Of your suggestions, I would very definitely prefer #2, because some of
the changes in beta18 were really interesting but slightly overdone.
One is the missile range accuracy issue - nice idea, but longbows and
xbows should be more accurate at long ranges, so please tweak the
numbers so that the accuracy declines more slowly. Second is the skill
cost minima - please scale this back quite dramatically, because at the
moment any beta18 char is restricted to 6 or fewer skills unless you
pay over the odds. I know you don't want people to be able to raise
every single skill, and that's fine, but being able to choose about
half of them (as in previous betas) seems about right. Restricting
yourself to 5 or 6 skills is fine for a challenge game, but not for
every game.

CC
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:28:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

"Leon Marrick" <none@invalid.org> wrote in
news:c_lXe.4108$Ew4.374@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

> 1. Fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out "I'm not sure when", but will be
> fairly polished)
> OR
>
> 2. Release beta 19, then fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out within a week,
> but is highly experimental).

How experimental is "highly experimental"? Or what kind of
experimental? The kind where feedback might help? Or the kind where
feedback wouldn't help until it was more polished?
September 19, 2005 12:47:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 2005-09-19 02:20:00, "Jeff Greene" <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam> wrote:

> "Peter" wrote in message =
> news:D gkulb$2vv1$1@news.vol.cz...
> > On 2005-09-19 00:38:46, "Leon Marrick" wrote:
> >=20
> > > I apparently chose a lousy time to delurk and release beta 18 back =
> in July,
> > > because RL hit me hard shortly thereafter. I'm short a father now, =
> and it's
> > > been no easy thing to lose him. Happens to us all, eventually.
> >=20
> > Congratulations !=20
> > Hmmm...why...uh...short ?...;)...
>
> I read it as saying his has father has recently passed away. =20
>
> Leon, I am sorry to hear that. My condolances to you and your family.

I'm terribly sorry. My very stupid mistake - I misunderstood that. Please
forgive me.

Condolences
Peter.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Leon Marrick wrote:

> Gentle players and maintainers, what would you like me to do right now?
>
> 1. Fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out "I'm not sure when", but will be fairly
> polished)
> OR
>
> 2. Release beta 19, then fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out within a week, but is
> highly experimental).
>

I'd prefer #1. Release "when it is done".
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:40:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Leon Marrick wrote:
> I apparently chose a lousy time to delurk and release beta 18 back in July,
> because RL hit me hard shortly thereafter. I'm short a father now, and it's
> been no easy thing to lose him. Happens to us all, eventually.

Sorry to hear that. There is a possibility that this doesn't happen to
us all, but alternative would be even worse...

> Gentle players and maintainers, what would you like me to do right now?
>
> 1. Fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out "I'm not sure when", but will be fairly
> polished)
> OR
>
> 2. Release beta 19, then fix bugs. (beta 19 comes out within a week, but is
> highly experimental).

Release. Whole point of having beta-releases is to playtest. If there
are bugs then repair them when players report them.

Timo Pietilä
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:10:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

I was unable to decompress the beta 18 source under linux. There was
some kind of error with the archive. If you can figure out what the
deal is with that, beta 18 will be new enough that the wait for 19 will
be no problem.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 11:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Since I'm pretty sure that the majority of the most-often reported bugs have
been
found and fixed, and that the game will be stable enough to have fun with (I
know this because I'm having fun now :-)~ ), Beta 19 will come out next
weekend.


Bugs fixed so far:
- Inaccuracy will be much less painful in diagonal corridors, around
corners, and when firing nearby.
- Thrown weapons will no longer do crazy damage.
- Minimum experience costs will increase less rapidly.
- Impact weapons *should* no longer crash the game in cases where they hit a
very low-hp monster.
- A certain mushroom's effects will now also correctly change your hitpoints
(and other things).
- (IBM port) Spell effects will delay properly in the IBM port on Windows
2000 and XP.
-Your arrows will no longer roll underneath your feet when they were fired
at something far away.

Thank you to those who have sent me bug reports! If you have other things
to report, let me know please.

I'm keeping mum on the neat new features, but there will, I trust, be enough
to satisfy.
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 9:20:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

I killed Orfax with one throwing knife...thrown once. Throwing is
pretty crazy. On the other hand, you can never get "multiple throws".

> - Thrown weapons will no longer do crazy damage.


Joshua
!