New Athlon T-Bird B or C?

G

I finally got my 1.2ghz Athlon T-Bird in the mail (took the place 3 weeks), but I have a question, the L1 cache are already linked. So would it be a B or a C? Also where on the chip would it say B or C? The top line say "A1200AMS3B" I am assuming that "B" probably means that it is the B processor.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Helevictus on 02/09/01 06:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
You have a "B".

The part number is explained in the "AMD Athlon Processor PGA Data Sheet", Order #23792, October 2000.

You can track it down on the AMD site and view it using Acrobat. Start with the "Techdocs" item on the AMD home page, then pick "Data Sheets/Technical Manuals." Click on the order number above. It's in Chapter 10, Ordering Information, on page 71.

Hope they didn't sell you a "C".

beans

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I have yet to read or hear of anyone getting a "locked" 1.2GHz (B) T-bird. Although AMD claims that the C-part (and not the B-part) is QC-tested at 266MHz FSB, you can't help but wonder if there is any real difference between the B & C.

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
As you imply, it appears as if the only difference is in the testing. However, I wouldn't dismiss that as non-meaningful. I imagine that AMD does reject a small percentage of parts that just won't run at 266MHz FSB. If that assumption is true, than those same parts would likely be passed during B-part testing (at 200MHz FSB)!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IntelConvert on 02/11/01 03:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Here's a theory for you...

AMD closes the L1 bridges on CPUs they intend to sell as 'C's. Some of these fail QA (ie. don't work reliably with whatever multiplier needed to get the spec @ 133 MHz FSB), but are fine @ 100 MHz and so get sold as 'B's, and they don't bother opening the L1 bridge again.

So...
Getting a 'B' CPU with the bridges closed could be the kiss-o-death for overclocking???
As I said, just a theory :)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.