Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Solved] I forgot my bitlocker password and lost my recovery key

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 12:21:24 PM

Unfortunately, we have no way to prove you legitimately own the computer you're asking for assistance with.

It's actually against forum rules for anyone to assist with hacking, removing, or bypassing a password.

Please refer to this thread for further assistance.
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 12:26:39 PM

Without the password or recovery key the data is gone, reformat the disk to reuse it.
Score
Related resources
January 7, 2013 12:35:40 PM

No password, no recovery key, no data.
Score
January 7, 2013 12:48:38 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Unfortunately, we have no way to prove you legitimately own the computer you're asking for assistance with.

It's actually against forum rules for anyone to assist with hacking, removing, or bypassing a password.

Please refer to this thread for further assistance.

Nice post so helpful just like the last two posts... Oh wait not
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:43:34 PM

cbrunnem said:
Nice post so helpful just like the last two posts... Oh wait not

All those posts were dead on point. There's no way to verify that the OP is actually authorized to access the encrypted information. In addition, loss of the PIN and recovery key means that the data is permanently irretrievable. If the keys were easy to recover then there wouldn't be any point in encrypting in the first place.
Score
January 7, 2013 4:22:55 PM

Encrypting a hard drive will practically prevent decrypting it without a password or a key code.

All your data is incomprehensible binary like this times trillions: -> 01101001 01101101 01110000 01100101 01100100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 ... and so on.

We are also not allowed to help with hacking, removing, or bypassing a password.
Score
January 7, 2013 5:42:35 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
All those posts were dead on point. There's no way to verify that the OP is actually authorized to access the encrypted information. In addition, loss of the PIN and recovery key means that the data is permanently irretrievable. If the keys were easy to recover then there wouldn't be any point in encrypting in the first place.

regardless of wether we are allowed to help the point was even if we where allowed there was nothing to do. so instead of say sorry dude youre out of luck the proper answer is that we cant do anything because bitlocker is made in a way that if you loose the key and password there is nothing we can do.

also you could point them in a direction of password recovery methods in cases like lost windows login passwords.

there are ways to be helpful and not break forum rules.
Score
January 7, 2013 5:48:36 PM

were not where. He was just stating the policy.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 5:49:51 PM

Legal issues or not, BitLocker has no backdoors, the only way is bruteforce attack for which I'd wish you good luck with cause it'll take a century if the password had more than 10 characters.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 5:51:31 PM

cbrunnem said:
....also you could point them in a direction of password recovery methods in cases like lost windows login passwords...

You obviously haven't read the rules. Such is not allowed here.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 5:54:52 PM

Soda-88 said:
Legal issues or not, BitLocker has no backdoors, the only way is bruteforce attack for which I'd wish you good luck with cause it'll take a century if the password had more than 10 characters.

MUCH longer than that. BitLocker's input routine only accepts a new key try once per second.
Score
January 7, 2013 5:55:32 PM

cbrunnem said:
regardless of wether we are allowed to help the point was even if we where allowed there was nothing to do. so instead of say sorry dude youre out of luck the proper answer is that we cant do anything because bitlocker is made in a way that if you loose the key and password there is nothing we can do.

also you could point them in a direction of password recovery methods in cases like lost windows login passwords.

there are ways to be helpful and not break forum rules.

He handled it perfectly. He said its not allowed, he said why its not allowed, and he offered a thread that explains it in detail. Your suggestion on what he 'should' have done, would have been providing recovery methods, which would be helping him around a password and hence not allowed. Think before you speak.
Score
January 7, 2013 5:59:20 PM

Munter78 said:
He handled it perfectly. He said its not allowed, he said why its not allowed, and he offered a thread that explains it in detail. Your suggestion on what he 'should' have done, would have been providing recovery methods, which would be helping him around a password and hence not allowed. Think before you speak.

that is not true at all. most recovery methods are not work arounds. if you forget your windows login and i post a link to microsofts website on how to recover your windows account that is not breaking the forum rules at all.

Score
January 7, 2013 6:41:00 PM

You can try to defend yourself all you want, but fact of the matter is that he handled it properly, you took a totally arrogant stance on how he handled it. The OP said they lost their password, and then stated that they lost their recovery code. There is no other means of legally going around this. Your excuse to bring up the legitimacy of the microsoft website would mean that the user would have to have their product key available. Otherwise they wont help.

This same bitlocker issue has been brought up multiple times on this site. Every time it is handled the same way. If they lose their recovery key, there is no way they can be assisted. If you still feel hedwar2011 handled it incorrectly, then contact a moderator. However in my honest opinion, you owe him an apology.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 6:55:14 PM

Munter78 said:
You can try to defend yourself all you want, but fact of the matter is that he handled it properly,

If you still feel hedwar2011 handled it incorrectly, then contact a moderator. However in my honest opinion, you owe him an apology.

Not only did Hedwar2011 handle it properly. He did so with Class and Respect. All to often do I see a response to a forgotten password as your password is ID10T or something along those lines.

I applaud your answer Hedwar2011 good work and keep it up.

a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 8:10:50 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
a c 416 $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 8:11:59 PM

Best answer selected by SR-71 Blackbird.
Score
!