Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need new print head and ink, is it worth it?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 13, 2012 4:58:17 PM

Hello,
I had my canon MP970 stolen a while back. Police returned it without print head and ink. To replace print head is $129(sticker shock)and five ink $57. I need some input on whether I should just junk it or keep it. It did a great job on photo and it still runs just won't know how it will print yet. I plan to buy a good MF monochrome laser for every day tasks but will need a good photo printer. I know to run it once a week to keep ink in use. I haven't had the canon for two months before it was stolen.

More about : print head ink worth

Best solution

August 11, 2012 3:57:52 PM

irishred said:
Hello,
I had my canon MP970 stolen a while back. Police returned it without print head and ink. To replace print head is $129(sticker shock)and five ink $57. I need some input on whether I should just junk it or keep it. It did a great job on photo and it still runs just won't know how it will print yet. I plan to buy a good MF monochrome laser for every day tasks but will need a good photo printer. I know to run it once a week to keep ink in use. I haven't had the canon for two months before it was stolen.

Sadly, when you consider the cost of a new printer, it makes more sense to buy a new one than to replace the print head and inks. You will have to do all of the work of replacing the missing parts and it may not work afterwards. I have had a lot of trouble with Canon printheads, in particular. If you are going to print photos, do it via an online photolab. If you are going to print documents, just get a document printer. They are generally cheaper and less finicky, and use less expensive ink.
August 28, 2012 4:12:44 PM

Best answer selected by irishred.
m
l
!