Are all PIII OK for dual cpu mobo

G

I plan on getting one of these CUV4X-D mobos from asus (dual PIII) but I read somewhere that I have to make sure I get the right kind of PIII. Don't they all support SMP?

thanks

G

Hmmmmm I thought that the highest pair you can go Is 550
think I read that on intel website you can check there..

G

No Way. You can Pair any PIII CPU. Important is that they have same code. They have to be identical.

<i> And they said schizophrenia is annoying?

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got a 733 fc-pga retail chip and it said that the chip be used in smp. I think its the stepping of the chips that matters in smp. CA0 i think is the stepping that allows smp.

The last time I tried to use my imagination, I ended up in a straight jacket! :eek:

G

Not true, they can be of different steppings and even different speeds but for the best stability and speed get them matched. My Pentium Pro 200 servers 2 processors are of different steppings (7 and 9) and it works just fine.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wrong again, stepping in this case refers to voltage, and I have seen people have problems trying to run two PIII's with different voltage steppings (cBO=1.65, cCO=1.70v). So they have to be the same stepping for the PIII.

Suicide is painless...........

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I know. I was just being silly. :)
I'd hardly expect anyone to take my suggestion seriously. At least I'd hope no one does. I was tring to make it sound as stupid as the notion is...

But hey, if anyone does try it, do tell us what happens. I'm always up for a good laugh. :)

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

Stepping refers to the revision of the processors mask to fix problems or improve performance and will sometimes include the need to change the core operating voltage. It is not an absolute that the stepping MUST match, just recomended.
Go to Intels site at the following link for proof from Intel <http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/voltreq.htm> and <http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/intnotes.htm#Mixed Processor Steppings> and you will see that some chips have the same stepping but different core voltages. The following quote is directly from the second link off of the Intel page "Mixing Processor Steppings Even though Intel recommends using identical processor steppings in multiprocessor systems whenever possible (as this is the only configuration which receives Intel's full testing), Intel supports mixing processor steppings, and does not actively prevent various steppings of the Pentium III processor from working together in dual-processor systems. However, since Intel cannot test every possible combination of devices, each new stepping of a device is fully tested only against the latest steppings of other processors and chipset components." As you will see you don't know what your talking about. :>)

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, Lets get more general. Most (all I have heard of) PIII's of 600-933MHz running cBO stepping are 1.65v. Most (again, all that I have heard of) of the same speeds running cCO are 1.70v. This is fact, not Intel's presumption of what they Might do but what they ARE doing.
Now, the pin settings for 1.65v and 1.70v are different. The reason I made my statement is because someone had a REAL WORLD problem with his system not working when two processors of the same frequency but different voltages were mixed. I do not think his board supported separrate core voltages for the two processors. He tried each one at a time and they worked fine, but they did not work together. He replaced one of them so that they were both the same voltage and it worked. So I am attempting to say not to mix voltages without going into the whole issue of which processor is which voltage by simply stating not to mix steppings.

G

Does this answer your question? If you buy a pair together it's highly unlikely they won't work together...

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better ~

G

Take a look at Highend3D.com in the hardware section someone mentioned that the 933s are better at SMP than the 1Gigs.

Anim88tor

G

I understand what your saying and I can see the potential problem. My mother board has duel processors and seperate voltage regulators for each processor so it will run different processor voltages without trouble. I had a problem with you telling him flat out "no" that it would not work. I know this to not be true since my Pentium Pro works just fine using a 7 and 9 stepping together and also Intel tests different steppings processors together to try and maintain interoperability between them. Sorry if I got a bit nasty in my last post, I can be that way and most of the time it's not warranted.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I give people a flat out "NO" because I don't trust their judgement enough to give them a "maybe" and all the details. I have personally seen PIII motheroboards that support only one voltage. And the voltage for PIII's is auto-detected. I remember the old Pro motherobards with plug-in VR for each CPU, and I think the Xeons are still that way, but I have not seen this on a dual PIII, so my best advice to anyone trying to do SMP with PIII is to get two of the same stepping, assuming from Intels actual PIII production that processors of the same stepping will have the same voltages, but those of different will not.

G

Take a look at Highend3D.com in the hardware section someone mentioned that the 933s are better at SMP than the 1Gigs.
Thanks for posing here Anim88tor - I really enjoy a lot of the links you provide to high-end 3d sites which I have not seen before.

However, I think this one was debunked a few days after the initial post as the guy who said this was talking about slots and sockets and then just said that he didn't have any info to back up the claim.
Here is the post:
<A HREF="http://www.highend3d.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=hardware&Number=35792&page=&view=&sb=" target="_new">http://www.highend3d.com/boards/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=hardware&Number=35792&page=&view=&sb=</A>

P.S. I have to get used to replying to a specific post. All the other boards I'm used to just have a reply at end of thread.