[V] 3.0.5: Char dead to bug? ressurect?

My best Paladin so far was trotting at about char level 14, happily
collecting small bonuses to equipment etc. While cravenly exploring
depth level 8 again, the great beast angband spake unto me at the
controlling terminal:

angband: Too many macros!

Whereupon the game exited.

Running angband again produces a request to build a new character.

Here are some questions

1 - Is my character data stored somewhere? I see a save file named by
my username but not by the character name.

2 - How can I determine whether a save file is bones or whatever?

3 - If the char is dead and gone, I no longer trust this angband build
not to kill more characters by just falling over. I can do
something like save scum or remove angband's ability to save
characters as dead, but both are likely to tempt me to cheat death.

Has anyone built an angband patch or two that is capable of
recovering from software or system crashes?

I have tried loading up the char in wizard mode but this takes me back
to Clevel 4. Is no progress saved to disk while playing?

-josh
--
Grim. Grom. Grümmer.
2 answers Last reply

    Joshua Rodman wrote:
    > My best Paladin so far was trotting at about char level 14, happily
    > collecting small bonuses to equipment etc. While cravenly exploring
    > depth level 8 again, the great beast angband spake unto me at the
    > controlling terminal:
    >
    > angband: Too many macros!
    >
    > Whereupon the game exited.
    >
    > Running angband again produces a request to build a new character.
    >
    > Here are some questions
    >
    > 1 - Is my character data stored somewhere? I see a save file named by
    > my username but not by the character name.
    >
    > 2 - How can I determine whether a save file is bones or whatever?
    >
    > 3 - If the char is dead and gone, I no longer trust this angband build
    > not to kill more characters by just falling over. I can do
    > something like save scum or remove angband's ability to save
    > characters as dead, but both are likely to tempt me to cheat death.
    >
    > Has anyone built an angband patch or two that is capable of
    > recovering from software or system crashes?
    >
    > I have tried loading up the char in wizard mode but this takes me back
    > to Clevel 4. Is no progress saved to disk while playing?

    Character save-file is only saved when you quit or do control-s. There
    is no autosave or redo log. Lost save-file at 700' is no big deal.
    That's about 1 hour down the drain, unless you got lucky with
    equipment. Just think: it could have been at 2500'!

    There is only one save file. It's exact location depends on what
    version/OS you are on. but it's generally in
    ..../lib/save/original_character_name

    The state of the character is stored only in that file. The bones files
    are for character ghosts.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    In article <1127443846.491592.225780@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    pete mack <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >There is only one save file. It's exact location depends on what
    >version/OS you are on. but it's generally in
    >.../lib/save/original_character_name

    On *NIX, this is in ~/.Angband/save/<UID>.<Name> (I don't have the
    directory exactly), where UID is your UID, and "Name" is your "name" --
    unless specified on the command line with -uName, it defaults to your
    login.

    -Andrew ()

Video Games