Experiments in Power Diving

Allow me to begin by saying once again that I've been playing Angband
for many years now, and I still have yet to win a game. At times this
is frustrating; but more often than not, it's a reason to come back and
try again.

So I've been reading about this power diving method from the posts of
Cliff and Eddie. I've always been reluctant to try it in the past,
since it looks like it must take a lot more skill than I could possibly
have.

But today, I thought... "What the hay?!"

It seemed to me that a good way to start this practice would be to start
with a pretty robust character. As I wanted to run down to 500' or so
on my first venture into the dungeon, I didn't want to be missing spell
books that I couldn't afford at the beginning of the game.

Teliondel, Female Half-Troll Warrior. Seems pretty robust to me.

So I roll of some stats, pretty much ignoring int/wis/chr. So I end up
with 18/70, 4, 6, 16, 15, 3. I had no idea things could be this
expensive! :p

For all that Teli isn't all that pretty or persuasive, she is a pretty
savvy shopper for a troll. She sold her broadsword and bought a dagger
(for the extra attack), and traded in her torches for a lantern. Then,
on her way over to get a scroll of Word of Recall, she bumped into
Farmer Maggot. Unfortunately, she wasn't looking where she was going
and accidentally stuck her dagger right into his poor heart. Teli was
heart broken, but in honor of Farmer Maggot, decided to wear his gloves
on her first venture into the dungeon.

After getting her ?WoR, Teli donned her armor, hefted her lantern and
set off into the dungeon. The first 400' or so were pretty uneventful.
She found a couple of {good} and {excellent} items, but nothing could
really hurt her. Oh, and she found a copy of Holy Infusions, too. She
doesn't know what it is, but it looks pretty, so she's keeping it to see
if anyone in town might like it.

By the time she reached 450' down, she was breathing heavy, but feeling
good. Wielding her Trident (1d8) {excellent}, she felt pretty
confident. The first thing Teli noticed about 450' was the feeling that
she liked the place. She couldn't have told you why, but she gets these
feelings sometimes. She's funny like that.

Running around, trying to figure out why she liked this level so much,
she stumbled upon a broken sword. It reminded her of the sword her da'
used to use to beat up on her when she was bad, so she picked it up
while reminiscing of the fond childhood memories brought back by the
rusty piece of junk. And sure enough, not ten steps later, she got an
{excellent} feeling about her Broken Sword. Not wanting to spoil her
memories with inappropriate use of the broken sword, however, Teli kept
it in her pack in favor of her Trident.

As she recalled one particularly painful punishment, she rounded the
corner to find a sniveling figure cackling at her. Wormtongue, Agent of
Saruman. Teli didn't know how she knew this, for she didn't even know
who Saruman was, much less Wormtongue; but Wormtongue gave her a brief
lesson in the history of Middle Earth while he beat up on her. Perhaps
he was trying to distract her, but lucky for Teli, she is too dumb to
follow such esoterica, so she was able to focus on the fight with no
problems. Once Wormtongue realized that the battle was not going his
way, he reached into Teli's purse, grabbed some coins and disappeared in
a puff of smoke.

Teli was not happy about this. Not only did she not have the pleasure
of nibbling on some tasty meat, she was short several of her pretty gold
coins. So Teli screamed at the top of her lungs and started out in
search of this Wormtongue figure who had the audacity to take some of
her pretty coins. She didn't mind the insults to her mother, Teli
wasn't that fond of her mother; but the coins was one step too far!

Walking around, her wounds regenerating quickly, she ran into another
disgusting excuse for a human. This one called itself Brodda the
Easterling. Again, Teli didn't know what an Easterling was, but Brodda
sure didn't look like any bunny she new, so she went to work on Brodda.
Unlike Wormtongue, Brodda didn't waste time with useless insults.
Instead, this nasty piece of work just attacked with a feverish gusto.
Teli was quite impressed. In fact, towards the end of the fight, as
both combatants were getting tired and spent, Teli wondered if she might
not be able to defeat this foe. With no way to escape, however, she did
what any self-respecting troll would do. She snarled, spit in Brodda's
fact and hacked off an arm. Teli won the fight, but she was seriously
exhausted.

And it was at this time, that Wormtongue finally decided to show up.
Seeing Teli in her weakened state, he cackled evilly and proceeded in to
finish off the helpless troll.

But Teli had had enough of Wormtongue. She knew she didn't stand much
chance against him in her weakened state, but she was determined to find
a way. So she grabbed a potion from her backpack, not having a clue
what it would do, and slammed it back like a pint of good Dwarven ale.
And, emboldened by the results, she drank her other potion that her
father gave her on her way out of the house that morning.

You feel much better.
You have no more Potions of Cure Critical Wounds (f).
You feel much better.
You feel like a killing machine!

Seven pokes of her Trident later, Wormtongue was history and stood there
in a pile of gore collecting his belongings. This bastard's hide is
going up on the mantle!

.... and so it is that Teli has begun her adventure. Perhaps
overconfident, but brimming with pride, she will continue her descent
into the depths of Angband.

May Morgoth temble in fear.

--
Wil Hunt
Geek in training.

Man, keep us posted, that's the most entertaining thing I've read in a
while!

Diving fast is fun, innit? Make sure to carry Rods of Light,
especially if you go past 2000' without rPois or detection.

And remember, don't try to kill everything that moves... Without a bow
or CCW/?Phase, i'd have left brodda, or at least used !Hero on him.

You really set yourself up a challenge game with CON 16 as a HT
warrior. It'll take a long time to do stat gain.

Well, I should begin by giving you all the bad news. Teli passed away
last night in a spat of drunkenness. After returning to town in order
to indentify all this pretty new loot, Teli (read me...) had a few too
mugs of ale at the local tavern. Then, after he returned to the
dungeon, still in her inebriated state, she mistook Cave Spiders and an
Illusionist for some mice and a pretty little pony. Soon therafter,
Teli was blinded, poisoned and falling over herself as she was
overwhelmed by the little white mice.

Yes, she had several !CCW and ?Phase, but since she was full on ale, she
coudn't fit any more into her wart-covered belly. Similarly, since she
was blind, she couldn't read her scrolls.

And so it was that Teli passed on, leaving her father at home, weeping
alone with his new broken sword of Slay Undead.

And now to answer...

pete mack wrote:
> Diving fast is fun, innit? Make sure to carry Rods of Light,
> especially if you go past 2000' without rPois or detection.

Why's that? What do they do for you other than provide a way to kill a
bajillion orcs in a long hallway? I've always poopooed anything of
Light, thinking them useless.

> And remember, don't try to kill everything that moves... Without a bow
> or CCW/?Phase, i'd have left brodda, or at least used !Hero on him.

Remember this was her first trip down. She only had her original !Beserk.

> You really set yourself up a challenge game with CON 16 as a HT
> warrior. It'll take a long time to do stat gain.

I'm trying to remember, but I think I was just trying to max str/dex
without leaving a completely useless con. My main goal was getting 3
blows from the start with a dagger. I forget what the minimal stats are
to do that, so I'll have to go look that up again before I start a new
one. Teli's sister has been complaining that her mother is too gentle
with her at home...

--
Wil Hunt
Geek in training.
Jack of few trades, master of none.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wil Hunt wrote:
> pete mack wrote:
> > Diving fast is fun, innit? Make sure to carry Rods of Light,
> > especially if you go past 2000' without rPois or detection.
>
> Why's that? What do they do for you other than provide a way to kill a
> bajillion orcs in a long hallway? I've always poopooed anything of
> Light, thinking them useless.

The point is that they light up long corridors, enabling you to see the
Dark Elven Bastard as he comes round the corner, and ?phase out before
he kills you with two spells. Power diving means you meet a lot of
creatures who will get double moves on you, so detection is everything.
-light is a poor man's detection.

> > You really set yourself up a challenge game with CON 16 as a HT
> > warrior. It'll take a long time to do stat gain.
>
> I'm trying to remember, but I think I was just trying to max str/dex
> without leaving a completely useless con. My main goal was getting 3
> blows from the start with a dagger. I forget what the minimal stats are
> to do that, so I'll have to go look that up again before I start a new

I'm pretty sure you can get 3 blows with only 10 dex if your str is
18/50 or better.

CC

> The point is that they light up long corridors, enabling you to see the
> Dark Elven Bastard as he comes round the corner, and ?phase out before
> he kills you with two spells. Power diving means you meet a lot of
> creatures who will get double moves on you, so detection is everything.
> -light is a poor man's detection.

I don't think I'm familiar with the dark elven bastard monster...

>>>You really set yourself up a challenge game with CON 16 as a HT
>>>warrior. It'll take a long time to do stat gain.
>>
>>I'm trying to remember, but I think I was just trying to max str/dex
>>without leaving a completely useless con. My main goal was getting 3
>>blows from the start with a dagger. I forget what the minimal stats are
>>to do that, so I'll have to go look that up again before I start a new
>

> I'm pretty sure you can get 3 blows with only 10 dex if your str is
> 18/50 or better.
>
> CC

Wizard mode should answer this question rather quickly, one way or another.

Joshua

camlost wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure you can get 3 blows with only 10 dex if your str is
>> 18/50 or better.
>> CC
>>

> Wizard mode should answer this question rather quickly, one way or another.
>
> Joshua

Bah, that's what code diving is for. :) And since I was bored and had a
little bit of insomnia, I put together a quick applet so others can
figure out their blows, too.

http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/

It's ugly, but it should give correct values based on Vanilla 3.0.6.
Please let me know if you find any discrepancies.

The link above is a temporary home. If there's enough interest, I might
make the UI a little more friendly and find a more permanent home for
the applet. It does require Java + Swing.

Enjoy,

Wil

On 2005-09-25, Wil Hunt <XwilOhuntX@XcomOcastX.XnetX> wrote:
> camlost wrote:
>
> Bah, that's what code diving is for. :) And since I was bored and had a
> little bit of insomnia, I put together a quick applet so others can
> figure out their blows, too.
>
> http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/

I wanted to play around with this, out of curiousity mainly.

I'm no java expert, and beause of Sun being free-software hostile,
stability issues, and other factors, I have java disabled in my browser.

That led me to try to download the applet:

wget --proxy=off http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/net.homelinux.hunt.angband.blowcalc.BlowCalcApplet.class
--12:45:15-- http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/net.homelinux.hunt.angband.blowcalc.BlowCalcApplet.class
=> `net.homelinux.hunt.angband.blowcalc.BlowCalcApplet.class'
Resolving hunt.homelinux.net... 67.171.228.141
Connecting to hunt.homelinux.net|67.171.228.141|:80... connected.
12:45:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

What am I doing wrong?

-josh
--
Grim. Grom. Grümmer.

Joshua Rodman wrote:
> On 2005-09-25, Wil Hunt <XwilOhuntX@XcomOcastX.XnetX> wrote:
>
>>camlost wrote:
>>
>>Bah, that's what code diving is for. :) And since I was bored and had a
>>little bit of insomnia, I put together a quick applet so others can
>>figure out their blows, too.
>>
>>http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/
>

> I wanted to play around with this, out of curiousity mainly.
>
> I'm no java expert, and beause of Sun being free-software hostile,
> stability issues, and other factors, I have java disabled in my browser.
>
> That led me to try to download the applet:
>
> wget --proxy=off http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/net.homelinux.hunt.angband.blowcalc.BlowCalcApplet.class
> --12:45:15-- http://hunt.homelinux.net/wil/net.homelinux.hunt.angband.blowcalc.BlowCalcApplet.class
> => `net.homelinux.hunt.angband.blowcalc.BlowCalcApplet.class'
> Resolving hunt.homelinux.net... 67.171.228.141
> Connecting to hunt.homelinux.net|67.171.228.141|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> 12:45:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> -josh

try
http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/BlowCalcApplet.class

but you'll also need:

http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/Tables.class

Note also that the sources are available there:

http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/BlowCalcApplet.java
http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/Tables.java

The reason for this is that the codebase for the applet is .../applets.
Then, the class file is located in the folder based on its package
name. If you want a copy of the applet without the package spec, let me
know and I can email you one. Or I can send you a zip file with the
applet as it exists now with an HTML file that you can give to AppletViewer.

Wil

--
Wil Hunt
Geek in training.
Jack of few trades, master of none.

Take 2:

Wil Hunt wrote:
> try
> http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/BlowCalcApplet.class
>

> but you'll also need:
>
> http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/Tables.class

and

http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/BlowCalcApplet$1.class

> Note also that the sources are available there:
>
> http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/BlowCalcApplet.java

but ...

> http://hunt.homelinux.net/applets/net/homelinux/hunt/angband/blowcalc/Tables.java

doesn't exist, since it's included in the BlowCalcApplet source. *thump
self*