Sign in with
Your question

Why do you want a backup?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 7, 2013 2:57:10 PM

Hello,

I just have a new computer and my computer is asking me to make a backup.
why do i want to have a backup. if my system crashes or something i just can reinstall windows right?

looking forward to your answers!

Jellyvish,

More about : backup

a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:00:38 PM

you might want to create a backup restore point because that will give you an option to roll your comptuer back the way you have backed it up to in case your system experiences crashes and becomes unstable after new driver got released, also it a good idea to backup your important data you don't want to loose (documents, family pics, music)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:02:30 PM

some vendors call the work back up...some call it making system restore cd. older pc vendors used to put in the windows os cd with the pc. then they placed it on a partion on your hard drive. sometime you can restore your pc from that partion by hitting a f key at boot. some time you need to have 4 or 5 dvd to make a set of disks.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:02:55 PM

While you can reinstall Windows, many users of prebuilt systems do not want to get all the drivers and software back onto the system(it is all about time and many of them just do not know how to get drivers). This lets them start with factory settings at any point in the future.

If you have no problems with a reinstall. you have no need to make a system backup.

It is still highly recommend to backup your personal files from time to time on CD/DVD/BD/Flash stick or an external hard drive just in case the hard drive or SSD in the system fails. Loosing files sucks.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:25:07 PM

jellyvish said:
Hello,

I just have a new computer and my computer is asking me to make a backup.
why do i want to have a backup. if my system crashes or something i just can reinstall windows right?

looking forward to your answers!

Jellyvish,

OK.. lets paint you a scenario...
You have your VERY precious digital photos for your children on your PC.. way to many to be held on the Camera etc...
And then your Hard drive fails in such a way that it just does not work... you cant get any files off it (except with VERY expensive data recovery services).
Or your house burns down... and incinerates your whole computer....
What you going to do then? "I can just reinstall windows right" wont get you very far then!!!

You clearly do not have the wit or imagination to comprihend why you might want a backup... but PCs are like gambling... you should NEVER gamble with anything you cant afford to lose... so if you cant aford to lose your data... BACK IT UP..

Just look through these forums for people crying because they have not got a backup... and they never think that a failing PC will everr happen to them.

Cheers

P.S. I do practice what I preach... I have backups weekly.. to a RAID 1 array.. and then I have quarterly copies taken to relatives house (Just in case my house burns down)... I cant afford to lose pictures of my kids growing up!!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:49:04 PM

You may think re-installing Windows from scratch is OK, which it is, provided you have a copy of a Windows install disk. However, if Windows gets corrupted or your hard drive fails, you will not only have to install Windows from a Windows install disk (easy enough to do), but you will also have to search for and download device drivers for your system, and you will also have to re-install all of your applications from scratch. Making a backup of your system after it is configured the way you like it, such as having Microsoft Office, various web browsers, and other utilities installed, can save you a lot of time if you have to re-install Windows from scratch later on.

Then again, if you don't install many programs or don't mind re-installing them again along with Windows, then skip the backup. It all depends on how much pain will be involved. I know when I get a new PC it takes me a week to get all my favorite utilities and programs installed and configured, and I do not want to have to go through that again, so I make a backup of my system once it is running the way I like it. Then, a year or so later, I make another backup, because I've usually added another dozen programs by then.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 3:56:42 PM

Sure you can always reinstall Windows but what happens if you suffer a physical failure of your storage and you lose all your saved data.
m
l
January 7, 2013 4:25:20 PM

If you don't make the backup you might not be able to re-install Windows the way you're thinking...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 7, 2013 4:37:34 PM

Also, reinstalling windows, getting drivers, installing updates, installing EVERY program you want... it takes days. Restoring from a backup / using system restore takes a matter of on hour at most.

Now think about a minor error - a corrupted registry entry or something. Is that REALLY worth spending days to reinstall windows, losing all your programs, settings, and possibly data that you didn't backup?
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:14:44 AM

While you are reinstalling you wont get all drivers loaded.. Backing up your data should be at the top of your computer maintenance list, right next to Virus Protection. Without data backup or virus protection, you are running the risk of losing your data. And it will happen, don’t think that you don’t have to worry about it. You can use some backup softwares too..
http://backup.comodo.com/
m
l
!