Will the CPU matter here?

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My professor has asked me to come up with a system for a digital camera he is buying for our fluorescence microscope. It seems he is not interested in digital video recording just minimal photoediting. He wants to put the most money into a 19" or 21" monitor (any suggestions) and good photo quality printer and wants to skimp on the computer. Am I sacrificing anything by buying a dirt cheap Compuke (Compaq) with a (choke) Celeron. We don't care about upgradability since the computer will be dedicated to the camera only (which will likely have a USB not firewire interface). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Joel

Hit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know anything about "fluorescence microscopes" but you may take a look at the "Intel Play" article on this sight

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/00q1/000330/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/00q1/000330/index.html</A>

I think it may plug into a TV, I could be wrong. You could forgo the computer all together.

But if you really need to save on a computer to just display the pictures I suggest finding a good used computer.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hit on 02/11/01 03:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, just to clarify, I'm not looking for a microscope or digital camera, already got that taken care of. Just wondering if a sh**ty little compuke system will be fine for downloading and editing digital images (no video). Thanks

G

You'd want decent amount of ram 128-256. The more cpu the better but no need to go overboard. You won't need sound or any other media stuff so that will save you money. Also, no need for a 3d card either. You should be able to find good 2d cards for fairly good prices.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i would advice against getting compaq. everything about them sucks and you will have trouble, even if you're just doing a little photo editing. your best bet is to put together an AMD system, or maybe a Pentium2. Whatever you taste is. But I would put it together youself, not buy (Especially not from Compaq).

-----------------
Satan Clara...... 'Nuff said.

G

honestly, I would stay away from Compaqs. They are dirt cheap, but often a bitch to deal with. I got a Amd 533 or something, for my mother a little whiel back, with 128MB ram, 8MB video card, Cd-RW etc, for 450 dollars.... it works okay, but I curse the day that I need to try to upgrade it..

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

And also with most manufacturers (dell, gateway, Compaq and etc) They'll send it to you with some drivers not even working.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but oh crap he's got a gun"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a cheapo E-Machines or something and put in extra ram. Displaying pictures is not a difficult job for any PC. Even my wifes old machine with an i810 chipset did a good job of displaying photos on its otherwise crappy integrated video.

Suicide is painless...........