What classes are easiest to win with and why? (V)

I've never won, but I'll take a guess from the 2 characters I've
managed to get to character level 50.

1) Ranger - massive damage from bows, temp speed from spell
2) Priest - can be less selective with fights because of powerful
healing spells at 0% failure

I'd also guess rogues ahead of fighters because of haste spell, but I
don't know where they fit in the overall heirarchy

I think Paladin ist much easier than mage at least for new players.
To play a mage successfully needs a lot of experience in gameplay.

Paladin has some spells and gets better pseudo-ID than ranger or priest.

>Well if you're comparing vs Paladins, they get ID at Clvl 25 and only
>if they have the book, although this is fairly plausible by level 25.

That's right, but as Timo has said before, they have a strong Pseudo-ID
wich is
much faster and better than with the ranger.

ulrichvonbeck@yahoo.com wrote:
> I've never won, but I'll take a guess from the 2 characters I've
> managed to get to character level 50.
>
> 1) Ranger - massive damage from bows, temp speed from spell
> 2) Priest - can be less selective with fights because of powerful
> healing spells at 0% failure
>
> I'd also guess rogues ahead of fighters because of haste spell, but I
> don't know where they fit in the overall heirarchy

My list:

1) Priest
1) Ranger
3) Warrior
4) Mage
5) Paladin
6) Rogue

First two are very easy compared to rest. Especially ranger after clvl
20 and brand ammo -spell.

Warrior gets third place because huge damage-output in melee and very
high HP at high levels. This is easy to start and finish, but hard at
middle -class.

Mage is very easy after you have found last book and can pick your
fights with ease. Before that it is much harder than Priest or Ranger.

Paladin might be easy, I don't know. I find it so boring I tend to die
trying something impossible hard. I hardly ever play it. This might be
easy if you get used to it.

Rogue gets last place. I find it very hard to play compared to others.
Not enough spells, bad melee and bows, not enough HP. Might be easier
with different playstyle, but it doesn't fit mine.

Timo Pietilä

On Thu, 28 Sep 2005, ulrichvonbeck@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've never won, but I'll take a guess from the 2 characters I've
> managed to get to character level 50.
>
> 1) Ranger - massive damage from bows, temp speed from spell
> 2) Priest - can be less selective with fights because of powerful
> healing spells at 0% failure

I depends on how you play, if you are willing to run slow then Rangers are
the best because you can get enough potions and scrolls to handle the
summons and healing and thus all you want is maximum offence. Everyone else
is basically the same end game because melee doesn't count, it is just
missles for the questors.

However it takes a long time to get enough potions and classes like priest,
paladin and mage can win must faster because they can use spells to heal,
genocide, destruction, teleport away (banish evil), etc. . Warrior is the
odd man out because of no enhanced damage or support abilities.

Different classes/races are different at various parts of the game, half
troll warrior is a lot stronger than a dwarf priest for a long time, but
once stats starts to climb and you get a decent missle weapon the balance
changes. Mages with genocide are insanely powerful.

A lot depends on playing style, Paladins can run a lot faster than Priests,
you can play them just like a warrior then all of a sudden turn on the
priests spells mid/late game for a major power boost. If you play slower
naturally then priests will seem more powerful.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

I remember that when mages had globe of invulnurability, they were the
hands down concensus for easiest to win with because once they got GOI,
nothing could kill them.

Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:43:24 GMT, Joshua Rodman wrote:
>
>>Or maybe I'll get a
>>recharge so I can use a wand or something, although Debian gives me
>>3.0.5 where recharge destruction kills the wole wand stack, I'm going
>>through wands pretty quick.
>
> Hi Joshua,
>
> To prevent losing a whole stack at once, drop all but one of your stack
> before attempting to recharge.

Or, drop one item and recharge it on the ground.

Eddie

My favourite is High Elf Warrior (had 4 winners with those).

I *MUCH* prefer High Elf over Half Troll warriors, simply because of
the bonuses to magic device, stealth etc. You can activate most magic
items no prob as HE Warrior over CL40, as long as you don't rely on
them in a life or death situation.

Ed

ulrichvonbeck@yahoo.com wrote:
> I've never won, but I'll take a guess from the 2 characters I've
> managed to get to character level 50.
>
> 1) Ranger - massive damage from bows, temp speed from spell
> 2) Priest - can be less selective with fights because of powerful
> healing spells at 0% failure
>
> I'd also guess rogues ahead of fighters because of haste spell, but I
> don't know where they fit in the overall heirarchy

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:43:24 GMT, Joshua Rodman wrote:

>Or maybe I'll get a
>recharge so I can use a wand or something, although Debian gives me
>3.0.5 where recharge destruction kills the wole wand stack, I'm going
>through wands pretty quick.

Hi Joshua,

To prevent losing a whole stack at once, drop all but one of your stack
before attempting to recharge.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)