[V306] staves no longer break -- bad idea?

This seems broken to me. I'm a level 50 mage with fire immunity. (I
also have acid immunity, but I don't think that matters to this
discussion.) I carry 4 staves: Healing, Magi, Power, Holiness. Under
V306, when staves backfire, they do *not* get destroyed, but merely
drain of charges. So now, I can sit inside a room full of greater
demons, constantly zapping out with the Power and Holiness staff. The
greater demons can't do enough damage to really hurt me, and if I am
down by 300 points, I'll take a turn off with the Healing staff. I
recharge during battle, and use the Magi staff to recharge my mana. The
greater demons die in droves, but summon more of their minions such that
it's a stalemate. So basically, even though I'm completely overwhelmed,
I can hold my own virtually indefinitely. In V305, this was not true,
but now that staves don't have a finite lifespan, the only thing that
can possibly hurt me is if something steals a staff -- and this just
never happens, I kill thieves before they even get close. Does this
situation sound a bit broken to anyone else?

-Rorke.

Rorke Haining wrote:

> never happens, I kill thieves before they even get close. Does this
> situation sound a bit broken to anyone else?

It's broken and has been fixed in CVS already. Stack destroys one, not
all, if recharging fails. Should be in 3.0.7 whenever that gets released.

Timo Pietilä

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Rorke Haining wrote:

> The
> greater demons can't do enough damage to really hurt me ...

That sounds like the broken part. Staves not breaking just stops item
scumming. Yes there are ways to abuse it with a lot of time (power
charging), but everything can be abused with that viewpoint.

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:40:37 -0230, Cliff Stamp wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Rorke Haining wrote:
>
>> The
>> greater demons can't do enough damage to really hurt me ...
>
>That sounds like the broken part. Staves not breaking just stops item
>scumming.

Hi Cliff,

The way I interpret Rorke is that the broken part is that the demons
can't really hurt him because his staves give him unlimited healing
capacity: use staff of healing when health is low; recharge staff of
healing when #charges is low, use staff of magi before mana falls below
the amount required to recharge; recharge staff of magi when #charges of
that staff is low - all completely safe because failed recharge attempts
don't blow up the staff.

With 3.0.5 recharging (failed attempt blows up complete stack), the fun
would be over very soon - one failed recharge and he is missing one of
the links needed to pull this off.
With 3.0.7 recharging (failed attempt blows up one staff from the
stack), it would last a bit longer if he has enough staffs tos tart
with, but he wopuld eventually run out of staffs.

Only 3.0.6 allows him to continue this farming forever.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)