[Crawl] Friends in Pandemonium?

Since my Horrible Things didn't follow me into the Labyrinth, I'm
wondering whether the same might happen when I enter Pandemonium.
Will they follow, and can I summon new friends, there?

--
Tina the Sensei - a Believer of the Refining Nocturnal Gloss

In article <592380875@railroad.robin.de>,
Tina Hall <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote:

>Since my Horrible Things didn't follow me into the Labyrinth, I'm
>wondering whether the same might happen when I enter Pandemonium.
>Will they follow, and can I summon new friends, there?

Not sure whether they'll follow, but I'm pretty sure that summoning new
Things will work.

--
Mark Mackey
The Association for the Advancement of Dungeon Crawling

Mark Mackey <markm@chiark.greenend.org.uk> screeched:
> Tina Hall <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote:

>> Since my Horrible Things didn't follow me into the Labyrinth,
>> I'm wondering whether the same might happen when I enter
>> Pandemonium. Will they follow, and can I summon new friends,
>> there?

> Not sure whether they'll follow, but I'm pretty sure that
> summoning new Things will work.

'Pretty sure'? Oh dear, that doesn't exactly encourage going
there...

Is there any way to check?

Hmmm... The Spell of Banishment does work to cast myself into the
Abyss, right? (To get out of Pandemonium incase I find myself all
lonely there, and eventually when I get fed up, anyway.)

Do the gates leading to Pandemonium from the main dungeon vanish
after being used once? (Thinking about popping in, getting weighed
down by loot, leaving, stashing loot, going back...)

What should one take into Pandemonium in any case? What to leave
behind? (Done with the Vaults and its sub-branches, now. Am going to
dawdle a bit in Hell first, to gather some more Skills and
Spellpoints, though. Besides, I don't think I've got all possible
books from Sif Muna yet, and want to swap to Vehumet before going
anywhere without a proper exit.)

Btw. Down in the Tomb, the left chamber was full of insane loot, the
right just had the traps. Is that normal?

--
Tina the Demonologist - an Initiate of the Reliably Nimble Ground

In article <595557439@railroad.robin.de>,
Tina Hall <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote:

>'Pretty sure'? Oh dear, that doesn't exactly encourage going
>there...

OK, I'm certain, then.

>Is there any way to check?

Read the code. I just did :).

>Do the gates leading to Pandemonium from the main dungeon vanish
>after being used once? (Thinking about popping in, getting weighed
>down by loot, leaving, stashing loot, going back...)

They're permanent, so you can do just that.

>What should one take into Pandemonium in any case? What to leave
>behind?

Anything damagable will get trashed unless you have preservation, so
leave most of your scrolls and potions behind, or at least the valuable
ones. Wear an amulet of resist mutation at all times.

>Btw. Down in the Tomb, the left chamber was full of insane loot, the
>right just had the traps. Is that normal?

It just has gold in, and the mummies pick it up.

--

Mark Mackey <markm@chiark.greenend.org.uk> whined:
> Tina Hall <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote:

>> 'Pretty sure'? Oh dear, that doesn't exactly encourage going
>> there...

> OK, I'm certain, then.

Good. Thanks. :)

>> Is there any way to check?

> Read the code. I just did :).

Uh, anything more complicated than finding a list of spells (and I
don't even find all of them) is beyond me. :)

>> Do the gates leading to Pandemonium from the main dungeon vanish
>> after being used once? (Thinking about popping in, getting
>> weighed down by loot, leaving, stashing loot, going back...)

> They're permanent, so you can do just that.

Great.

>> What should one take into Pandemonium in any case? What to leave
>> behind?

> Anything damagable will get trashed unless you have preservation,

Eek. Have none of that from any source, yet.

> so leave most of your scrolls and potions behind, or at least the
> valuable ones.

Which would be heal*, but I've got more of them than I can
reasonably carry, anyway (20 heal wounds, 44 healing, just at my
stash, 6 and 5 more respectively, in my inventory, plus a wand of
healing, and one at the stash).

That's just because I normally don't get much damage, and hide in
the Tomb of D. in emergencies (like after being Tormented by greater
mummies).

> Wear an amulet of resist mutation at all times.

I've got the mutation to somewhat resist mutations. Is the amulet
still necessary, then?

My mutations are quite neat (Alter Self until all bad ones were
gone, each time I picked up something bad):

You are agile (Dex +1).
Your flesh is cold resistant.
You can control translocations.
You can teleport at will.
You can translocate small distances instantaneously.
Your muscles are very strong (Str +2), but stiff (Dex -2).
You are somewhat resistant to further mutation.
You are partially covered in smooth nacreous scales (AC + 1).
You are partially covered in purple scales (AC + 2).

I could take Alter Self along, and just correct anything a monster
might add to that. (Would take too long to wait in between casts, I
guess, using up too much food.)

Would taking along a staff of energy be a good idea? (Horrible
Things, the Tomb of D. and such are rather high level...)

>> Btw. Down in the Tomb, the left chamber was full of insane loot,
>> the right just had the traps. Is that normal?

> It just has gold in, and the mummies pick it up.

Ah. Thanks.

--
Tina the Eviscerator - a High Priest of the Reclusive Noontime Girl

In article <596084490@railroad.robin.de>,
Tina Hall <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote:
>Mark Mackey <markm@chiark.greenend.org.uk> whined:
>> so leave most of your scrolls and potions behind, or at least the
>> valuable ones.
>
>Which would be heal*, but I've got more of them than I can
>reasonably carry, anyway (20 heal wounds, 44 healing, just at my
>stash, 6 and 5 more respectively, in my inventory, plus a wand of
>healing, and one at the stash).

If you've got 44 healing potions, they're not that valuable, are they? I
usually take a few of each in with me, but with the expectation that I
won't be bringing them back out again.

>I've got the mutation to somewhat resist mutations. Is the amulet
>still necessary, then?

Yes. All you need is one level where you land up with two or three
cacodemons and neqoxecs in sight and you'll get two or three nasty
mutations straight away.

>My mutations are quite neat (Alter Self until all bad ones were
>gone, each time I picked up something bad):

That's why you'll want the amulet on: teleport control in particular is
(a) nice, (b) rare. You don't want to risk losing it when trying to get
rid of three levels of blurred vision.

>Would taking along a staff of energy be a good idea? (Horrible
>Things, the Tomb of D. and such are rather high level...)

If you want: I tend to find that food isn't a huge problem in
Pandemonium.