Server CPU, w/ 2mb cache?

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm just getting into this so bear with me.

I understand that for a server platform, the more cache and the faster the processor the better. This makes the Pentium III xeon w/ 2mb of cache seem like the best. From what I have read, the 900 mhz is the fastest, but I can only find 700 mhz on pricewatch.

My question is this. If the xeon goes to 2mb, and the PIV,PIII, and T-Bird go to 256K, does this leave me with the only real solution as the Xeon? What is the performance difference, and is Intel still expanding on the Xeon series? Is AMD moving in on this market?

I probably won't need the top of the line processor and would most likely start in the middle of the range if I was stuck with the Xeon since it is quite expensive, but if the other processors offer close to the same performance I'd like to know.

Do different combinations of CPU and MB make a notable difference?

I also noticed that Intel is calling the Itanium processor "The future of computing for servers and workstations. " What do I take a away from all of this? I understand that the itanium isn't out yet. Why are there so many processors out there by intel by the way? It's like the old days of Macintosh with too many choices. Which ones are going to be replaced?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 02/11/01 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

If your going to be serving files on a small network then a P233MMX with about 128 MB of memory would do (file serving is not very processor intensive) you will however need a very fast hard drive array. If on the other hand your going to be serving a DB or handling web hits by the tens of thousands then you need the faster processor and the hard disk array. If your needs are some where in the middle then consider a duel processor PIII motherboard with one PIII chips and a half Gig of RAM as a very good starting point and add the second processor as the need becomes apairant.
I have a duel PIII 450 machine with 512MB of RAM and the thing hauls ASS under Linux.

Mike