[Crawl] What an inhospitable place. (Torment in Hell)

Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
resistance will protect one from Torment. I got myself those levels,
and was still wracked with Hellish pain (not just pain, but halved
Hp). Did I do or understand something wrong?

Part of my equipment is:

w - the +0,-1 great sword of Orange Skies (weapon)
It insulates you from electricity.
It protects you from poison.
It partially protects you from negative energy.
It makes you much more stealthy.
W - a +4 elven robe of positive energy (worn)
Z - the +1 pair of boots "Jov Jewidawohi" (worn)
It partially protects you from negative energy.

(I went back to my stash just to swap my stuff for these after being
tormented a few times...)

Or is this just the same case as my Demonspawn mutation of 'immunity
to unholy pain and torment' not working against the Hell-induced
version?

--
Tina the Servant - a Follower of the Ridiculous Nameless Gesture

"Tina Hall" <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote in message

> Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
> resistance will protect one from Torment. I got myself those levels,
> and was still wracked with Hellish pain (not just pain, but halved
> Hp). Did I do or understand something wrong?

<snip>

I'd read that in here, too, and 3 levels doesn't protect you from Mummy
torments in the tomb, either. (I was outraged).

And what good is negative energy resistance if it doesn't? Seems to me
like if you're going to go tooling around with rings of life protection on
two fingers and a robe of positive energy on, you ought to get some good
out of it. Just protection from getting drained? How often does that
happen?

--Jeremey

Tina Hall wrote:

> Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
> resistance will protect one from Torment. I got myself those levels,
> and was still wracked with Hellish pain (not just pain, but halved
> Hp). Did I do or understand something wrong?

Negative energy resistance offers no protection against pain attacks.
That resistance is only available from the demonspawn mutation or from
being undead.

Graeme Dice
--
"It was not unusual in theoretical physics to spend a lot of time in
speculative notion that turns out to be wrong. I do it all the time.

Jeremey Wilson <noaddressgiven@yahoo.com> barked:
> "Tina Hall" <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> wrote in message

>> Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
>> resistance will protect one from Torment. [doesn't work]

> And what good is negative energy resistance if it doesn't?
> [when having three levels] you ought to get some good out of it.
> Just protection from getting drained? How often does that happen?

Without _any_ negative energy resistance it'll happen often enough
to be noticable but not really that bothersome, and it'll actually
happen hardly at all with good Dodging/EV (and no NE resistance).

As it is, there's not really any reason for more than one level,
that I can see.

--
Tina the Evocator - a Follower of the Ranting Nitrogen Gander

Graeme Dice <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> barked:
> Tina Hall wrote:

>> Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
>> resistance will protect one from Torment. [...]

> Negative energy resistance offers no protection against pain
> attacks. That resistance is only available from the demonspawn
> mutation or from being undead.

The Demonspawn mutation doesn't work, either, againts Hell-induced
Pain/Torment. Does being undead actually work there?

--
Tina the Avatar - a Follower of the Roving Neat Gem

Tina Hall wrote:
> Graeme Dice <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> barked:
>
>>Tina Hall wrote:
>

>>>Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
>>>resistance will protect one from Torment. [...]
>

>>Negative energy resistance offers no protection against pain
>>attacks. That resistance is only available from the demonspawn
>>mutation or from being undead.
>

> The Demonspawn mutation doesn't work, either, againts Hell-induced
> Pain/Torment. Does being undead actually work there?

I can't see any way that torment can be applied if you have the
Demonspawn mutation or are undead. There's no resistance against
hellfire, but there certainly is against pain.

Graeme Dice
--
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did
succeed in making those idiots understand their own language."

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Jeremey Wilson .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> I'd read that in here, too, and 3 levels doesn't protect you from Mummy
> torments in the tomb, either. (I was outraged).
>
> And what good is negative energy resistance if it doesn't? Seems to me
> like if you're going to go tooling around with rings of life protection on
> two fingers and a robe of positive energy on, you ought to get some good
> out of it. Just protection from getting drained? How often does that
> happen?

If you are in bad company (bottom vaults for example - there is plenty of
Shadow dragons that will drain you in no time. Or in hall of blades there
could be numberous enemies "of draining".) One hit with negative energy
took me AFAIR about 5000 Exp with double negative resistance so I suppose
in some cases it's definintively worthy considering.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

U¿ytkownik "Tina Hall" <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> Graeme Dice <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> barked:
> > Tina Hall wrote:
>
> >> Not too long ago, someone wrote that 3 levels of negative energy
> >> resistance will protect one from Torment. [...]
>
> > Negative energy resistance offers no protection against pain
> > attacks. That resistance is only available from the demonspawn
> > mutation or from being undead.
>
> The Demonspawn mutation doesn't work, either, againts Hell-induced
> Pain/Torment. Does being undead actually work there?

Ok, I admit it. It was I who babbled about tripple n.e. resistance. I don't
know from where I picted that up. Anyway I went through all four hells in
lichform and I was tormented only whean not undead. So it seemes to work.

> --
> Tina the Avatar - a Follower of the Roving Neat Gem
--
Seek the Babbler - a non-follower of the radiant naive gadget ;P

Seek <seek@poczta.fm> roared:
> Uytkownik "Tina Hall" <T.Hall@railroad.robin.de> napisa? w
> wiadomo?ci

>> The Demonspawn mutation doesn't work, either, againts
>> Hell-induced Pain/Torment. Does being undead actually work
>> there?

> Ok, I admit it. It was I who babbled about tripple n.e.
> resistance. I don't know from where I picted that up. Anyway I
> went through all four hells in lichform and I was tormented only
> whean not undead. So it seemes to work.

Lichform! That's it! ... Ow, needs Necromancy, doesn't it. I didn't
want any Necromancy skill... <checking>

Ahm. Does that spell actually exist? I couldn't find it anywhere.
(I've recently re-done the 'spellbooks with list of spells plus
spellskills and spelllevels needed'-spoiler, so that's actually up
to date, now. Anyone want it?)

<looking some more> Necromutation? I've got the Necronomicon, has
been lying around for ages (Sif Muna dropped it pretty early), but I
can't read it. :/

>> --
>> Tina the Avatar - a Follower of the Roving Neat Gem
> --
> Seek the Babbler - a non-follower of the radiant naive gadget ;P

;P

That's only good if it's random and the mighty Rash Nitre Guardian
choses His own name. (He seems to like it, haven't had to sacrifice
quite as many newbies since I found this way of honouring our
allmighty, benevolent deity.)

--
Tina the Whirler - the Favourite Plaything of the Rugged Noble Giggle

Tina Hall wrote:
> Seek <seek@poczta.fm> roared:

<snip>

> Ahm. Does that spell actually exist? I couldn't find it anywhere.
> (I've recently re-done the 'spellbooks with list of spells plus
> spellskills and spelllevels needed'-spoiler, so that's actually up
> to date, now. Anyone want it?)
>
> <looking some more> Necromutation? I've got the Necronomicon, has
> been lying around for ages (Sif Muna dropped it pretty early), but I
> can't read it. :/

You're right, the lich-form spell is Necromutation.

Graeme Dice
--
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did
succeed in making those idiots understand their own language."
-- Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, 1869

On Mon, 3 May 2004 03:33:00 GMT+1, in a fit of madness
Tina_Hall@kruemel.org (Tina Hall) declared:

>Ahm. Does that spell actually exist? I couldn't find it anywhere.
>(I've recently re-done the 'spellbooks with list of spells plus
>spellskills and spelllevels needed'-spoiler, so that's actually up
>to date, now. Anyone want it?)

Of course.

--
R. Dan Henry