Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a gaming laptop under 1200 USD

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
December 20, 2010 5:22:14 AM

1. What is your budget?
Under 1200, I don't want to spend a lot but I want a computer that can run games (mostly Starcraft II) on higher settings.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Closer to 14"-16" or so the better, but I'm fine with getting a larger laptop.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Above 1366x768 would be good, the higher the better but I realize that it's hard to get high resolutions in this price range.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'd prefer portability, but I'd be willing to compromise portability if it would mean getting a better deal.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I don't particularly care about battery life because I'll be plugged in most of the time. More is better, but I don't particularly need it. 2 hours or above would be optimal.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Yes.
Starcraft II, Fallout 3, Halo 3.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
Besides games, I'll mainly be using it for schoolwork, so not much besides internet and word processors.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I don't care particularly, Newegg or Amazon both work I guess.
http://www.newegg.com/
http://www.amazon.com/

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
About three years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I won't need bluray. DVD ROM is plenty for me.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Anything but Dell. My current computer is a Dell Inspiron, and I've had so many problems with it, such as the battery not charging, that I really don't want to go through another Dell.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
As well as being a decent gaming computer, I'd like it to be reliable and reasonably portable. I'd like something that can run Starcraft 2 on as high of a setting as possible, but size, weight, quality and dependability are important considerations.

I first considered the Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893, but its enormous size deterred me a little. I next planned on getting the HP Envy because of its small size and great design, but decided not to when I realized HP had put the lowest megahertz possible in their i5 processor and had gotten rid of the radiance 1600x900 screens they got rave reviews for and replaced them with the much worse 1366x768 "BrightView" screens.

I'd like a laptop that's between these two, one that has good gaming performance but is also a reasonably sized, well-built, dependable computer. Any advice on good deals in this price range? I'm still considering the Qosmio, but if there's a comparable gaming computer that's more portable I'd love to know about it.

More about : gaming laptop 1200 usd

December 20, 2010 5:39:02 AM

I forgot to put this in my original post- The Qosmio has a great graphics card, the Nvidia gtx 460M, but I was wondering, because the i5 460 Megahertz processor speed seems kinda slow in comparison, whether getting a better processor would significantly improve performance in more demanding games, or whether the processor would be able to support this graphics card without issues. I don't know much about computers in general, so even if the answer is blindingly obvious please inform me.
!